Bailey03's WIP - Page 122
Page 122 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 3428

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

It does look great in the end, so worth the effort, I'd say. Maybe some coloured glazes here and there to bring some variety into the colour? Maybe you've already planned to do that? I do like this overall cold looking skin colour, though, so don't overdo any coloured glazes.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Thanks, Ritual. Yes, I was planning to use some glazes on this piece once it is a bit further along. I'll probably stick with purples and blue (in the cheeks, under the eyes, etc) and perhaps just a little bit of red to warm up the nose some more. I haven't done an orc in years, so I'm making up my approach as I go. But I definitely feel a bit more color variation is important for getting that skin effect, even if it's a fantasy skin.

Yes nines nice approach on the cool skin. I concur with the muted glazes maybe even put the colour scheme into a story for the piece so maybe a winter scene?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

I would put a bit of red under the cheeks as well. Not too much and not a saturated red, but a hint of it. Try it out in Photoshop if you want to play around a bit, before putting actual paint on.

that looks really cool, the purple and the yellow really contrast nicely with the green

This blue-green skin tone is looking great. Thanks for making me drool a bit.

Your work is always amazing Bailey, but this black ork is one of my favorites so far. I think the light glazes will make it even better. And I absolutely love the idea of the small captain with his big burly bodyguard.

Thanks, Coyote, Krule, and khavor. It's all still early, but this is one of those projects where I feel like I'm leveling up. I feel like it's easier to experiment and try new things on a fantasy project than it is on the historicals... at least when it comes to working with colors and pushing contrast. I'll take what I learn on this piece and apply it to historicals, but it's just easier to try things out this way if that makes any sense.

Here's another brief update. I took this pictures with my phone and under regular room lights (not my normal photo setup or fancy camera), though I think they still turned out pretty well. I finished off the rest of the green on his head (top, back, and ears) and a bit of his neck. For the inside of his ears I used a mix of Burgundy Wine and Khaki Highlight. In the photos it ends up looking like the rest of the purple sections, but it's actually a bit different. I had just started doing the teeth when I got pulled away, so they are still a work in progress.
    Name:  R07.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  184.3 KBName:  R08.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  177.0 KBName:  R09.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  129.1 KB
    I still need to do the glazes, however I'd like to wait until after I've done more of his skin (like on his chest and arms). Once I've done those, I may decide to go back and rebalance some of the highlights and shadows on his face. By holding off on the glazes for now, I'm leaving that option open for later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    I still need to do the glazes, however I'd like to wait until after I've done more of his skin (like on his chest and arms). Once I've done those, I may decide to go back and rebalance some of the highlights and shadows on his face. By holding off on the glazes for now, I'm leaving that option open for later.
    Yeah, that's a wise choice! Looks bloody brilliant, so far! This one is going to look fantastic when it's done!

looking good mate, I would be tempted to add a bit more pink into the purple highlights, say last 10% just to add a little more colour interest. Its a tricky one keeping the black skin tone. I particularly like the painted extra's on the face/neck, awesome work.

Excellence period!!!painting brilliance !!!

Fantastic work! Excellent tones. Well done.

Fantastic mate, tip top blending and colours.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

These pirate orcs are really fantastic models, combined with your magic they true pieces of art. Can't wait to see this one devellop as I have several from the same line in my grey army. Thanks for inspiring me.

Gino(2dope)

Thanks, everyone!

I've been working on the torso and arms for Redghar. As before, I'm taking it in sections. You can see the back is still not finished. I start with the base coat and then sketch in the shadows to help define the main shapes that I'll be working with. From there I'll blend that back into the midtone and the layer on the highlights. I've also started on some other details like the scars. I used a variation of the purple from the face, but now mixing in pale violet red to distinguish it from the other purples.
    Name:  R13.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  222.4 KBName:  R14.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  201.2 KBName:  R15.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  214.2 KBName:  R16.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  200.2 KB

This is really great! The more of the skin that gets done, the better it looks! I really, really like this cold, dark green.

Wow, I thought your historical were excellent, this is another huge positive dimension for you.

Thanks!

By the way, how do people feel about the purple on the nose? I was inspired by Marc Masclans Papa Jambo bust. However I got a comment from someone who didn't think it was working, so now I'm second guessing it. I want to do something there, but I could tone it down... use a mix of green and purple, more green towards the top and more purple towards the bottom (around the nostrils and lower part of the tip, where you could see a red shift on a human figure). Just curious what other people think about it.

The nose hasn't struck me as not working, perhaps it looks a bit odd to some at the moment because it's not finished yet but I can see on the back of the elbow where you've started a similar colour there, I just guessed it was the equivalent of reddening areas on a human fig