Bailey03's WIP - Page 13
Page 13 of 172 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

So I've started on the vampire... but there's not enough there worth showing just yet. I've actually run into a bit of painters block so, rather than to try and force it, I started on a different figure. This is another 54mm Napoleonic figure I picked up off ebay a little while back. Sort of continuing on from my work with the Polish Lancer. This one is a Romeo kit, sort of a sister company to Pegaso. He's an officer of the Navy Guard from the Kingdom of Naples (1811-15). I think the sculpt really captures the haughty look I imagine an aristocratic officer from that time period might have. So far I've just worked on the head and the pants. I'm waiting for some paints to arrive before I really tackle the coat. It will be primarily dark blue with red and yellow details. This should be a relatively quick project I can power through in a couple weekends of painting.

Name:  NG01.jpg
Views: 9570
Size:  153.2 KB Name:  NG02.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  115.4 KB Name:  NG04.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  118.7 KB Name:  NG05.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  117.8 KB

I've actually been rather active shopping on ebay lately. I just picked up two mounted 54mm figures that I might work on for Crystal Brush (well, at least one of them). I'm a little unclear which category mounted figures fit into... still trying to get that clarified. But they both have banners and plenty of opportunities for some fun freehand. So I think either one would be a good choice for the show.

Blog Entries

Looking good. You are really getting good with white fabric.

Thanks, Milosh. It's something I've done enough that I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with. I think the biggest tips I have are (1) use a light midtone, but don't get too close to white or you can't highlight, and (2) make sure you vary the shadows, it's fine to have some dark shadows but put some more subtle ones in there as well. And anywhere you have dark shadows, you need to take extra care for smooth blends.

For anyone interested here are the colors I used:
    Name:  09058_G.thumb.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  3.3 KBName:  09087_G.thumb.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  2.5 KBName:  09062_G.thumb.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  3.0 KBName:  09039_G.thumb.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  2.2 KB
    The bone shadow is darker than it looks there, but really any dark brownish grey would be fine. My midtone is a mix of weathered stone and leather white, when I was maybe about a step or two away from pure leather white. At that point I started to significantly reduce the amount of area I was applying paint so I was really just doing highlights. After that I decided I wanted the highlights to be a little stronger so I used a mix of leather white and pure white to take it a bit further. Since I'm doing white for an older fabric I like to use colors with a bit of brown in them. For other applications or for modern/futuristic fabric I might pick something different. But the general idea is the same.

Thanks for this. I am always looking for a cool toned one white. Yours is beautiful.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Thanks for this. I am always looking for a cool toned one white. Yours is beautiful.
    Ditto. I will try this combo on some test minis. Appreciate the info.

really impressive bailey, and thanks for sharing

beautiful beautiful work, your whites look amazing
    i'd make you a sandwitch, but cannibalism is illegal in my country.
    WIP thread

Thanks, all.

It's been a while since I've posted an update, been keeping pretty busy. But I did manage to get some work done on the Navy Guard Officer. I'm pretty happy with how the dark blue turned out. In the past I've had a hard time doing highlights without making the whole thing look like a lighter shade of blue. This time around I started mixing in a medium grey into the dark blue to lighten it up instead of using a light blue. I also redid the red. Apparently the first version was too scarlet to be historically accurate. This shade should be a lot closer. The lace is pretty tedious but I don't have too much left. Still a number of details to work on but this guy is getting close.
    Name:  NG06.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  125.2 KB Name:  NG08.jpg
Views: 1816
Size:  107.8 KB Name:  NG09.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  127.4 KB Name:  NG10.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  113.0 KB Name:  NG11.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  102.2 KB

Very nice. It's a softer blue like how wool would look or felt.

Very nice!! I specially like the way you've done the gold on him. Very realistic.

absolutely beautiful! keep at itmate
    i'd make you a sandwitch, but cannibalism is illegal in my country.
    WIP thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Thanks, all.

It's been a while since I've posted an update, been keeping pretty busy. But I did manage to get some work done on the Navy Guard Officer. I'm pretty happy with how the dark blue turned out. In the past I've had a hard time doing highlights without making the whole thing look like a lighter shade of blue. This time around I started mixing in a medium grey into the dark blue to lighten it up instead of using a light blue. I also redid the red. Apparently the first version was too scarlet to be historically accurate. This shade should be a lot closer. The lace is pretty tedious but I don't have too much left. Still a number of details to work on but this guy is getting close.
    Name:  NG06.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  125.2 KB Name:  NG08.jpg
Views: 1816
Size:  107.8 KB Name:  NG09.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  127.4 KB Name:  NG10.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  113.0 KB Name:  NG11.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  102.2 KB
    Oooh very nice indeed.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Thanks guys.

Well, my copy of Zombicide season 2 arrived this past weekend. So for fun I decided to paint up a few of the figures. These aren't intended for display, I'm just messing around and trying out a few new things. Definitely a bit of a shock going from the 54mm scale figure I was working on to these little guys. But for figures meant for a board game I've impressed with the amount of detail in them. It'd be great to paint up all the figure in the box like this... just need to quit my job and work around the clock for a month or two.

Name:  z01.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  211.7 KB Name:  z02.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  210.3 KB Name:  z03.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  205.3 KB

And here's one of the fatties. Started on him after dinner tonight, so not a lot of painting done here.
    Name:  z05.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  253.8 KB Name:  z07.jpg
Views: 5557
Size:  252.6 KB Name:  z08.jpg
Views: 2725
Size:  239.8 KB

Gross and awesome.

Stopping with working for two months just to paint sounds like heaven...

oh, and the military model and zombo's look awesome mate.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Nice skin tones! Perfectly putrid

coolio! zombies was a little surprise, expected more awesome historical stuff

Thanks everyone. Ha, Zab, that was exactly what I was going for.

Skel, clearly I should have started my post with "And now for something completely different." But don't worry, I've got some cool historical figures coming soon... got some neat stuff planned for Crystal Brush.

Blog Entries

whoa, that is out of left field for you indeed. They look really good, especially for that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Stopping with working for two months just to paint sounds like heaven...

oh, and the military model and zombo's look awesome mate.
    Ahh, my dream . These look good Bailey and i agree with everyone that this was not what i expected to see in your thread.