Page 144 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 3071

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Thanks, all. SaintToad, yeah the JB Monge figures look great. I'm getting a couple too. I'm definitely looking forward to painting them!

I did a bit more work on the orc this weekend. Taking a break from the green, I spent some time on the white portions of the skin. It's a bit tricky. As he is hunched over, those tend to be more in shadow. Therefore I didn't want to go too bright with them. I might go back in with some glazes to dull down a few spots even more.

Name:  OB15.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  242.6 KB Name:  OB16.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  258.2 KB Name:  OB17.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  256.1 KB Name:  OB18.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  212.6 KB

That's a really nice effect on the torso; it really does read as white-in-shadow. Would you mind sharing your color recipe?

Very well done. I know how hard white can be to shade properly, and already it looks amazing!

Thanks, Octavian. I'm working with a variety of grey shades from Reaper. For this guy I'm using their Dark Elf Shadow, Dark Elf Highlight, and Vampiric Shadow (an off-white). Most of the 'white' spots on the orc are some combination of Dark Elf Highlight and Vampiric Shadow (i.e. not pure Vampiric Shadow, but something a little darker). I've added a bit of Ritterlich Blue in the darkest shadows to fit in with the blue shadows on the skin.

The Dark Elf colors are greys, but with a hint of purple in them perhaps. Hard to say exactly, but they are certainly cool greys (rather than warm or neutral). On other projects, I might swap those out for the Dusky Skin Colors which are grey but with a hint of brown in them. I think that works nicely for cloth.

Thanks Bailey! I had a feeling there was some Dark Elf Skintones and Vampiric Skintones in there, but wasn't totally sure. Thanks for the reply and keep up the amazing work!

White skin on the stomach there looks great Bails. Thanks for the tips on the shading at well!
    error 404: signature not found

You know I'm partial to the knight of sepulcher, the murk wood dio , and the Saxon raider among my favorites if yours David. That being said you've outdone all of them with these last two orks you've been working on just by the skin alone. It's not easy for someone on the top if their game to improve drastically but I'm sure well all agree with these two projects and the bust you've done that I call(DISCO DRACULA) you've jumped leaps and bounds. And judging that even a pro level painter can improve greatly I feel the best of you has yet to come to crystal brush. Noone can dent the amount of talent in your soul . No one can deny the sheer will of want ring to produce a special feeling when one looks upon your models. The samarai was amazing as well , however these last 3 pieces from you have even trumped that . This hibby wouldn't be much without names such as ROMAN, KIRIL , BEN , RAFAEL... And now undeniably David !!!! Well done my dear friend. So well done!!!!

Thanks, Octavian, Foxtail, and BAM!

I'm at the point in the figure where things are starting to slow down. I feel like a lot of projects eventually hit a lull. Part of me wants to work on something new just to shake things up... though I do want to get this finished sooner rather than later. I've got a 54mm knight from Romeo Models that I started assembling yesterday. We'll see, I may do a bit on that just to keep myself fresh. Or, perhaps I'll manage to stay focused on the task at hand. I'm almost done with the skin and then I can start on his clothing/equipment. That will give me new colors to work with and different challenges... so it might be the change I'm looking for.

The think the J.B. Monge characters are going to suit your very dramatic fantasy-style painting (like these orcs) really well. Maybe we could do one at the same time and you can tell me how to paint mine better!

I'm amazed at how much life you've worked into the basic skintone, both the white and the green. The last little details (the scars & fingernails, for instance) will really make it insane. Hang in there. BAM's right, this is an awesome project!
    Last edited by SaintToad; 05-16-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks, SaintToad. I think at least I will try to write a tutorial/article on one of the JB Monge pieces, so even if we don't paint it at the same time, at least that will be out there for reference!

I decided to stick with the orc some more and worked on the legs last night. Just did the front and not the white back of the legs (might try and do that tonight if I have time). The toes also need to be painted, but I'll get to that soon. Here's a quick look at the progression. You've got the initial base coat, then the roughed in shadows, and finally the smoothed and highlighted end result. All of the pictures are taken under the same lighting conditions, so a comparison of the top and bottom image give you a pretty good idea what is painted and what is just due to the lights.
    Name:  OB_leg_progress2.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  551.1 KB

And here are a few pictures of the whole piece
    Name:  OB19.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  264.3 KB Name:  OB20.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  206.1 KB Name:  OB21.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  281.4 KB
    And then a close up of the leg
    Name:  OB22.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  513.7 KB

The step by step images on this are fascinating Bailey....a real insight. The Orc is looking pretty special even in this transitional state. Appreciate you sharing your processses with us.

Thanks, Hairster.

Well, last night I began constructing the scene for the orc. He's got an interesting pose for an orc. His ax is resting down at his side and his other arm is up with a finger outstretched. What is he doing? Pointing at something? Calling out to challenge an opponent? Before I began painting I brainstormed ideas for the scene. I came up with something a little different. Instead of the more usual angry orc, this one is in a moment of calm as he reaches out to connect with nature.

The sculpted branch and lizard came with the kit. I'm building up the rest of the tree using wire, like I did with Sorondil. Next up I'll take some putty and sculpt the rest of the tree over top of the wire frame. Got a ways to go, but I'm very happy with how the scene is shaping up. It's always great when a figure can really interact with the scene around him, where the two really work together. I also like that it's perhaps a slightly unexpected scene for an orc figure. Always nice to do something a little different.

I like the twist with the orcs personality. Maybe he is reaching out to pet the lizard and make a new friend or maybe he is deceptively reaching for the lizard for a nice orc snack :P

I think he is reaching out for a little fast food....

Thanks. Yeah, maybe the sight of the animal has calmed his rage. Or maybe it's just the momentary pause before he smashes its head with his ax. That's the great thing about miniatures. You're getting a snapshot in time, but it's up to the viewer to fill in the rest of the story.

I really like the choice you've made with the orc's setting. It's not that there's anything wrong with murderous action scenes, but quiet little intimate ones always seem so extraordinary in a sea of violence & mayhem. I'm also eager to see you paint the bejesus out of that lizard, tree, & scene, like you did on your mast recent base. This promises to be a real winner.
    The effect of the orc's wrinkles & stretched skin is incredible, Bailey. I am glued to these shots of your progress. They are extremely helpful!

Great little scene. I picture him almost curious about the lizard.
    You can really see the benefit of your highlights and shades in that photo
    error 404: signature not found

Thanks, SaintToad and Foxtail.

I've started sculpting the tree around the wire frame. Below is the result of two sculpting sessions. In the first I did the main trunk and linked up with the existing branch. In the second session I added in some of the roots and started on the other limbs. It's easier to do this in several parts. The more I do, the harder it is to avoid putting my finger in a soft section or disturbing the putty in some way or other. And of course as you push on one part with a sculpting tool, the other side responds. Hopefully tonight, after the last section has dried, I can try to get the remaining branches and roots covered.
    Name:  OB26.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  190.5 KB Name:  OB27.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  172.3 KB Name:  OB28.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  207.8 KB

Love the twist you gave to the miniature, I completely agree with Saint and the "overload of blood and mayhem" scenes. This will be a very special piece, following close...
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

Genius piece sir! The tree is looking pretty realistic too. Are you thinking a desert scene? The contrast would be quite striking! Here's an example of someone else's rendition. I think I like your version with the tree in front better

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14719549_1319948354683414_1821516319091064832_n.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	57810
    Last edited by TheLost; 05-27-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP