Page 146 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 3099

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

I like the Venatrix model too, but the pose (especially below the waist) seems a bit unnatural/unbalanced for firing an arrow while running on a tree.
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

I thought of venatrix too but yea the pose looks weird as it is and in terms of the scene with the centaur she's leaning the wrong way, it seems nonsensical to be heading towards the opponent when you have a ranged weapons and the opponent has a spear.

Here's some more offerings I've found, don't want to overload you with options but there's some nice dynamic poses here, the first 3 are scale 75 and the last one alexandros models

Name:  templar-knight.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  47.9 KB
    Name:  crusader-in-battle.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  55.7 KB
    Name:  arturo.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  39.7 KB
    Name:  1gran.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  144.4 KB

I personally like the first of those.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'm a little leery about Scale75 as their Barbarian was too small. Of course I also have their dark elf assassin, which is pretty tall for a 75mm figure... so who knows.

In the meantime, I just started on a new project yesterday. I was getting a bit burnt out on the orc project. All the little details on the clothing take time, but you don't feel like you're making much progress. I could feel myself starting to rush things, so I decided to step back and work on something else for a bit. In a few weeks I can return to the orc hopefully refreshed and finish it at the level it deserves.

Anyway, the new project is a 54mm knight from Romeo Models. I'd recently happened across some reference images that will serve as the inspiration for the piece. I'm hoping to do a lot of design work on the clothing and the shield. In these early stages I have delusions that I can paint like Bohun or SkeletteS. Soon reality will kick in and I'll pick a simpler design that I can actually pull off. After all, this figure is 54mm, not 90mm like the samurai I did. But you can't improve by always playing it safe, so I hope to push myself on this one.
    Name:  K_ref02.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  192.6 KBName:  K_ref01.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  249.2 KB

So far I've just base coated most of the figure, but I have done a fair bit of work on the face.
    Name:  K01.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  250.7 KB Name:  K02.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  364.5 KB

I've taken a number of photos along the way, so I hope to write up a step by step tutorial when he's finished. The team over at FigureMentors is working on a new historical themed painting magazine 'The Illustrated Historical Artist', so perhaps this will wind up as an article in there. I will keep you all posted! In the meantime, here's a quick look at how the face progressed to the current state. I still have one more step, adding glazes. But I need to paint the parts surrounding the face first, so we will have to wait a little bit longer for the final image in the series.
    Name:  Face_SBS.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  1.21 MB

Good to see the early stages of the painting. Always helpful
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Looking good! I'm part of the group that believes having delusions of grandeur, will eventually lead to perfection. How else are you going to push your limits?

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    I'm hoping to do a lot of design work on the clothing and the shield.

Awesome. I can't wait to see what you can do. I'm not buying your attempt to temper expectations- I know it will be awesome! The reference materials look very promising.

Make sure you come back to the goblin!!! And Redghar... and...

Thanks, guys!

I didn't do much painting last night. Instead I did some cleaning which including my painting area. It's not going to stay this neat for long, so I thought I'd better take a picture to remember what an organizing painting station looks like!
    Name:  Painting_area.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  345.1 KB

I also snapped a few shots of the Orc on his base. I don't think I've shown the tree now that it's been fully covered in putty. Here's the current state of the base. I still need to add stuff to cover the cork (sand, some modeling putty, maybe a skull here or there, etc).
    Name:  OB31.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  200.0 KB Name:  OB32.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  256.7 KB

The tree is as perfecto as the painting of the orc...your a talented complete hobbyist from soup to nuts and from painting to modeling. Ide never expect anything less bails.

So this weekend I pulled out a couple old projects to see what I could do with them. I settled on Count Melenth. I've been meaning to sculpt a source for the OSL. My first idea was to add a hand holding a magical flame. I showed some earlier attempts a while ago. After reading more from sculptors on this forum and in a book I've got, I decided to switch to supersculpey firm instead of using putty. This gave me a lot more time to work on it. I still worked in several stages of sculpting, baking, and then sculpting more on top. Here's a look at what I ended up with...
    Name:  CM35.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  63.7 KBName:  CM36.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  68.4 KBName:  CM37.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  77.2 KB

And next to the figure...
    Name:  CM32.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  157.3 KBName:  CM33.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  153.6 KBName:  CM34.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  158.5 KB

Of course, after all that, I don't think I'll be using this hand. Overall I'm very happy with the attempt. But there are a few parts that I don't think are good enough. On top of that, I feel like the flame location isn't quite right for the OSL. I've got another idea I want to try next. I learned quite a bit from this sculpting attempt, so I'm hopeful the next one will be even better. And, I'm still hanging on to this hand, so I can always go back to it if I decide it is the best option in the end.

Master of his craft!!! Btw I love this piece from you david, one of the best painted busts from you.the blight and veins in the head are so believable.

I can see you're going to be good at that, too!
    The only thing I can say is 'wrong' with the hand is that it doesn't have the same ultra smooth, swoopy contours of the face. It's just not a match for the style, exactly (although a bit of sanding might help that). The proportions are really good, though! I do agree that the source of the OSL is not perfectly correct, relative to the face; looks like something down in the palm more might be more convincing. Anyway, it's a really nice job.

Geez man! now you're sculpting!?! Is there anything you can't do!?!
    For God and Country,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Thanks, all!

Ha, well I'm not a sculptor yet. But I did enjoy working with the sculpey over greenstuff/milliput. Since I'm still figuring all of this out, having basically an unlimited amount of time to work on the hand was extremely helpful. It will be a long while before I'm sculpting a figure to paint, but I hope to be able to sculpt the occasional accessory or conversion to a kit. Just got to keep practicing if I want to improve. And hopefully my next attempt at a hand for this bust will be even better.

Great idea mate, really well done
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks, 10!

Well, I might need to have my sanity checked because just the other day I found myself considering painting another samurai! After finishing off that massive project about a year ago, I was sure it'd be a very loooooong time before I did one of those again. But yesterday I was going through my collection of kits and looking for possible Crystal Brush projects for next years show. I'd like to finish off the Count Melenth piece and enter it into the bust category. Aside from that, everything else is up in the air. I'd thought about using the centaur as a diorama entry.... but since the barbarian won't work, I think I will hold off on that for another time. I've got Redghar, my orc pirate, and I'm tempted to pair him with my dwarf pirate and hopefully a third figure. I doubt that's enough to place in a tough category like diorama, but maybe it will at least make the cut. But, since a lot of that stuff is well on it's way, I should have time to prepare something for the large scale category.

I took a look at the large scale (75 and 90mm) kits I've already got and tried to figure out what would be the best option. I want something that has a 'wow' factor to it and that also has some story or action to the sculpt. Currently I'm leaning towards Pegaso's 90mm Ronin kit. Now, although he's another samurai figure, the focus this time would not be freehand designs. There will be some, but he's got a lot less exposed cloth so it wouldn't be as apparent. This time I'd like to focus on atmosphere and weathering. I want him to look like he's in the middle of an assault on another samurai compound. The time period for his armor fits with the story of the 47 ronin, so I think I will use that as the inspiration. For the painting, I'd like him to look a bit beat up and bloodied, scratched/chipped armor, etc. I've got some ideas for the designs/symbols on his armor and clothing, but I'm still wrestling with the color scheme. From the reference images I've seen, the armor in this period tends to be dark (black, dark blue, dark brown). The end result looks a bit muddy. I'm okay if it's not as colorful as my last samurai, but I'd like some bright areas to help direct the eye and make the figure interesting to look at. Maybe I could play around with lighting. My thought for the scene was to show the main figure right after he'd broken through on of those panel walls. He'd fought the guards outside in the courtyard and now he'd entered the main house. So I could do the primary light source from inside the room with one color (a warm light) and then have a secondary light behind him from outside (a cool light). Of course it remains to be seen if I could pull it off.

Those are some of my early ideas for the project. I'm still on the fence. I'd like to have a better idea regarding the color scheme for the figure. In the meantime, I'm still looking over the other kits in my collection to see if anything jumps out at my or sparks a neat idea. For a competition like Crystal Brush, I'd really like to find a piece that I can tell a story with or at least a figure which I can interpret in a unique way (and thus stand out).

The Edo Period armor wasn't all dark blues, browns and blacks. There were a lot of reds, oranges, purples, greens and golds used. Here is a nice green and gold armor and here is some armor with red, yellow, purple and white. Every Daimyo was different and had their own flair. So really you can choose any color scheme you want and it could still be historically accurate.

Whatever gets the muse going imho I wouldn't worry that it's the same genre as long as you enjoy it
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Thanks, fluister. Those are helpful links! I'll definitely continue to look around at those and other color schemes.

AndyG, yeah, I just didn't think I'd be dumb enough to try one again so soon. =P

Switching to a different project, this weekend I did a bit more work on Redghar. Yup, I didn't forget about him. For some time I've been thinking about putting him into a multi-figure scene. I thought he'd pair well with the dwarf pirate I'd been painting (part of the reason I used the red for the cloth, to tie some colors of two figures together). I've been going back and forth on a third figure to join them. For a while I'd thought about a 75mm figure from Draconia... but there more I think about it, the more I'm not sure if I really like that piece enough. Plus there's no guarantee the scale will fit. At this point, I think one of the monkeys from the Black Sailors. The piece will need some converting, but I think I can manage that. Here is sort of what I have in mind for the scene:
    Name:  pirate_crew.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  355.0 KB

The three will be on the deck of a pirate ship, with the monkey hanging from the rigging. I'll need to redo some of the painting on the dwarf to bring the contrast up to match Redghar, but that shouldn't be too tough. So what do you think? Do these three work well together as a crew?

As for Redghar, I've started to paint the leather and belts. Here are some better views of that piece.
    Name:  R38.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  189.1 KBName:  R37.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  204.0 KBName:  R39.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  207.4 KBName:  R40.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  186.5 KB
    The strap around his chest has been started, but still needs a lot more highlighting before it's done.

They definitely work well together. I always felt that a pirate crew should be a mix and match of character types, basically the rejects of their societies.