Page 157 of 157 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157
Results 3,121 to 3,127 of 3127

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

I'm liking the concepts
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks, everyone. Krule, that's be great. I just sent you a PM about it.

Okay, so it probably looks like I can't stay focused on a single piece... but I just had a bit of time the other day to paint and, since I knew it wasn't enough to make any significant progress on the pirates, I grabbed the knight instead. I've been dragging my feet on the metals, but decided to give them a go. I approached it using stippling to create an uneven beaten looking texture and also to help with the blends, something I find especially troublesome for the grey metals. I want to follow up what I've done here with some glazes, so not completely done... however i'm still quite pleased with the results. I still have a lot of chainmail to tackle, unfortunately stippling won't work the same way there, so I'll have to figure something out.

And a shot from above
    Name:  kn48.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  162.3 KB

I still want to stay focused on the pirate piece. But I know there's still a ways to go on that one. So there's some motivation to also keep up on the knight, as I know that's something I can finish in the short term.

More progress to show on the metallics. I'd done a bit of work on the chainmail earlier (legs and neck), but wasn't happy with it and decided to redo them. I've been trying a few new things with my approach to metallics on this guy. As I mentioned in the last post, I've been using stippling to work on blending and create texture. This was used on the helmet and also the axe. Doesn't quite work on chainmail, but for larger surfaces I like it. The other big change is how I use metallic paint in my mixes. For a while, I've been using matte colors mixed into metallics to control the shine and make the shadows more matte and less reflective. With that I was also using dark, medium, and light colored metallics. In the updated version, I've abandoned the multiple shades of metallics and just gone with a medium metallic color for everything. To create the shadows I still add a dark matte color. But I think the balance of metallic to matte paint works better this way than when I was using an already dark metallic paint. For the highlights, I'm adding in a light matte color. This helps the highlight areas stay light even when the light isn't hitting them. I find blending gets a bit tricky with that (looks good or just so-so depending on the lighting)... but the approach is still a work in progress. I may get a better hang on that or I might continue to change the way I do the highlights.

I still need to finish off the chainmail on the legs, but the rest of the metallics on the figure are mostly done (aside from some glazes which I'll apply at the end). To understand how the matte + metallic highlights work, take a look at the axe head. I've forced the highlights to be where I want them and on the tip of the blade (which is pointing downward) they remain light regardless of the light hitting the figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    For the highlights, I'm adding in a light matte color. This helps the highlight areas stay light even when the light isn't hitting them. I find blending gets a bit tricky with that (looks good or just so-so depending on the lighting)... but the approach is still a work in progress. I may get a better hang on that or I might continue to change the way I do the highlights.
    I have done this as well on a couple of figures. I have even applied pure white (matte) extreme lights, very sparsely, but definitely visible. I really like the effect! But, so far I've only tried it on 30 mm figures, so I don't know if exactly the same approach will work on larger surfaces. I will definitely try it, though.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Thanks! I've see a few people do it and that definitely inspired me to give it a try. I think the first time I was introduced to the concept was the work on Monkeyman here at CMON. Unfortunately the images in his thread have all been killed by photobucket and his site is down. But I recall he used the approach on his Colossus piece (still in the gallery here) and that's a large scale figure with big surfaces.

Yeah, even though I've forgotten about that piece, I now remember when he posted it and probably that's where my idea came from, subconsciously.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

I'm really sad his site is gone. I remember he'd done a tutorial on it and I'd love to reread that now. I think that sometimes with tutorials and lessons it can be a matter of the right time and the right place. 3 years ago, my painting wasn't at the right place to make use of the information. Now I'm at a point where it'd probably be a lot more helpful. At least there are other people out there doing that approach so I've got other sources to look to and learn from.