Bailey03's WIP - Page 22
Page 22 of 172 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Thanks, Demi, Meph, and Krule.

Meph, I got a little research help from me_in_japan on that. Assuming I didn't screw it up too much, it should say 'dragon.'

Ah good, I was fearing something like 'Coca Cola', or 'Lili-white dong'

http://tokyodesu.com/2013/08/09/pict...omment-page-1/
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

yup yup - dragon it is. And a proper fiddly dragon, too. None of yer simplified modern nonsense And you didn't screw it up in the slightest. It's perfectly legible.

Beautiful work on a beautiful mini. Hat's off to you, chief
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Exactly why I asked for help. I didn't want my barbarian to appear on one of those bad tattoo/banner lists Thanks again, me_in_japan!

happy to make even a small contribution to such a nice piece of work
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

I'm not able to paint this week so no updates on Sumothay. Instead I finally sat down and wrote up the SBS tutorial on the Greek Hoplite. It's posted over on WAMP, take a look if you're interested.

http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/content...-Greek-Hoplite

Haven't done much painting in the last month, real life has been keeping me pretty busy. I've got some big news, looks like I'll be changing jobs and moving to Los Angeles in June. Any painters in the area? I'm excited to check out the SCAHMS group.

Well, yesterday I was finally been able to sit down at the work table and start on a new figure. I was going to begin a Kingdom Death one but I'm not quite sure how to approach it. So instead I picked up a Forge World Praetor. I'm definitely getting spoiled painting all those 54mm figures. Painting this little 28mm guy is tough! I spent a lot of time on the face but now I'm moving on to the armor.

Name:  SoH01.jpg
Views: 14706
Size:  202.9 KB Name:  SoH02.jpg
Views: 13319
Size:  203.1 KB
    Name:  SoH03.jpg
Views: 8565
Size:  60.3 KB Name:  SoH04.jpg
Views: 7120
Size:  57.4 KB

Well, I can't say a lot about the regular ol' GW sculpts, but Forge World continues to put out some really nice figures. I've got another order on the way (I couldn't pass up on Horus), so this guy is good practice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Haven't done much painting in the last month, real life has been keeping me pretty busy. I've got some big news, looks like I'll be changing jobs and moving to Los Angeles in June. Any painters in the area? I'm excited to check out the SCAHMS group.

Name:  SoH03.jpg
Views: 8565
Size:  60.3 KB Name:  SoH04.jpg
Views: 7120
Size:  57.4 KB
    Wow that's a big change! I am in the San Francisco area. If you ever feel like going for a road trip, we can offer you a couch to sleep on.

I feel like maybe you should just post the head on the red-tack stuff in the gallery. No explanation, just that.

Oh, and BTW I think the fluff says the warty things are actually supposed to be metal decorative implants denoting centuries of service or something. Not sure if you are coming back for those.

Pretty hard to believe that's 28mm dude. Looks awesome.

Ha, and it's got a good modern art sounding title, "head on red tack."

Thanks for the info on the implants. I've seen those on their figures before but wasn't really sure what to make of them. I still have to paint the whole bionic attachment on the right side of his head so maybe I'll redo those implants too.

Thanks! I'll let you know if I'm ever in the bay area. And if you ever venture down to sunny/smoggy southern California, drop me a line!

Nice to see you hitting up the 30k subject matter. Damn fine job. yep those are service studs - sounds dirty doesn't it? And yes the can denote centuries or half centuries of service depending on the legion.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

2nd the head on red tack, thats very impressive.
    look forward to the base also got a hint for us?

Mighty fine painting there mate, you have really caught a great expression on his face. Its nice to see your style on something that's not your usual scale/genre of miniature.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thanks, 10. You're painting a 54mm figure, I'm doing 28's... what the world coming to?

Thanks, Zab and Canny. Hmmmm... I haven't quite decided on the base yet. I want to do something that will fit with the Horus base, so it's probably going to involve rubble. There is a neat tutorial over on the die Vincis blog for making steel reinforced concrete that I thought was pretty nifty, so I might give that a try. Somewhere I also remember seeing an article where someone made porous concrete... I think they added baking powder or something to the concrete mix so it fizzed while drying. I wish I remembered where I saw it. It might work really well to combine those two approaches, make it look like the concrete has been all shot up and have the rebar inside exposed. If anyone remembers seeing the same tutorial and knows what they added to the plaster please let me know.

Fixed those service studs.
    Name:  SoH05.jpg
Views: 4519
Size:  82.2 KB

I also made some more progress on the armor and added the first of his arms.
    Name:  SoH07.jpg
Views: 6199
Size:  317.1 KB Name:  SoH06.jpg
Views: 7615
Size:  372.2 KB

Inspiring - a little depressing when i look at my minis, but still more inspiring.

wow, very cool mate!
    looks a bit like Vader without the helmet, especially when tucked in the suit but you have to fix that eyebrow, it looks.. well... drag.

I concur on the Vader look, looks menacing.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Thanks. Yeah, he reminded me a bit of Vader too. I almost mentioned that when I first put up the pictures.

Ha, so what's wrong with the eyebrow? To small and thin?

I think Skel means it looks like it's penciled on like make up. Maybe a bit thicker and possibly some grey-ish tones to help soften it?