Bailey03's WIP - Page 5
Page 5 of 171 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

She is going to clean house. I've been watching the entries, and barring a last minute flood (which I fully expect), she's definitely a top competitor
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Looks great! Not normally a big fan of this mini but i like what you have done. The base looks good but i do agree that the pillar need a little something to tie them into the rest of the scene a little more. Maybe just some simple weathering or slight discoloration would do the trick?
    Will certainly be keeping a eye on this thread in the future

Blog Entries

Bailey my man, that is just fantastic painting! Well done sir.

Thanks everyone. I hope it does well, there's another entry I think will win but I'd like to at least get an honorable mention. And who knows how the voting will turn out.

Yeah, I agree with you guys about the columns. Even though the contest is ending I'm going to keep working on her. I was taking a look at the columns on Karol Rudyk's Vampire Count masterpiece so hopefully I can learn something from that. I'll be sure to post an update when I'm done.

Happy holidays to you all!

Best version of her i have seen yet. Really well done, absolutely fantastic!

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Thanks, Moetle. I was really pleased with how she turned out.

With all the holidays and family stuff I haven't had much time to paint. But I did manage to finally finish my figure for the WAMP Red Box Games contest. Here's Bruiser Gus...

Name:  Bruiser04.jpg
Views: 4002
Size:  110.0 KB Name:  Bruiser05.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  121.3 KB Name:  Bruiser06.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  124.9 KB Name:  Bruiser07.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  115.7 KB Name:  Bruiser09.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  123.8 KB

Their figures are really small. I'd say he's closer to 25mm scale than 28. The base is entirely scratch built from balsa wood, a little bit of green stuff, and some woodland scenics grass. This is the first figure from Red Box I've painted. Aside from it being really tiny (especially compared to the 54mm stuff I was working on), I though he had a lot of character to the sculpt and was fun to paint. I've got a couple of their other figures sitting in my cabinet and I imagine I'll pick up a few more soon. They've got another kickstarter that is supposed to start in a couple days. If you like what I've done stop by the version I posted in the gallery and cast your vote. Thanks for taking a look!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/321989

Blog Entries

Brilliant work my man! You keep getting better and better with your skills and it is really fun to watch. The only thing I wish you had done differently is to splinter the door a bit where he smashed it in. Wood is a good place to use some oil color on too. The beer sign out front is pretty genious as well. My sincere compliments on an extremley well done figure.

Well done. I can not wait for my Redbox mini's to come after seeing this.

But a new Kickstarter when I have not received my mini's from the last Redbox Kicksarter. Seems rather excessive.

Thanks, Milosh and KruleBear.

Milosh, I had the same thought about the door... just didn't do anything about it. Maybe I'll go back in with an x-acto knife and see if I can add some splintering on the door.

KruleBear, I missed the last Kickstarter but I heard similar comments about the not receiving minis and now they're doing another one. I'd hope that they would at least arrive before this Kickstarter ends. But I wouldn't be surprised if it hurts the pledging a bit.

I actually thought the door was okay, I imagined him slamming in a very firm door, most of the time, a door doesn't splinter and is made from very dense wood, i don't know, just a thought maybe i'm too late

I'm also participating in the contest (if I'm pleased with my paint job) think yours looks absolutely awesome, your skin is amazing and that's not an easy thing to do good luck!

Cileon

Thanks, Cileon. No, not too late. I might still do some wear and tear on the door, but not yet. At the earliest it would be this weekend but I'm in no rush. If I do decide to change it I just need to do it before the MFCA show but that's not until May. Good luck with the WAMP contest, I hope to see your entry there. There were a ton of entries for the KD contest last month. I'll be very curious to see how the Red Box one compares.

In case you are curious, for the skin I stuck with my old mix, all reaper master series. The darkest shadows are a mix of Chestnut Brown (09071) and Rosy Shadow (09067). From there I worked up to Rosy Skin (09068) to Fair Skin (09047) to Fair Highlights (09048). I used the GW red glaze to add a little more color to the nose and cheeks. I didn't take it quite as light as I did on the White Speaker, so the darker tones (chestnut brown and rosy shadow) are more prevalent. By the way, I just started working on a historical figure and I'm trying a new combination of skin colors. I've got my fingers crossed it will turn out well!

Yes, I'm curious too. Only three entries yet but I guess plenty more will come.
    Thank you very much for sharing your way of painting skin (or which paints you used ) I'll definitely try that if I get my hands on the paints. But I must say, I already checked previous posts on how you did skin and already saw your mix, still, thanks for sharing
    I'm painting schadowblade for the competition, still deciding on what colours to use, maybe you'll see him appear on my WIP. not much skin but that's always an important part and I still need alot of practice.

Good luck with your new combination

Cileon

Cileon, cool, shadowblade is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with him. Think you'll go with the Assassin's Creed color scheme of the box art or do something different?

Well, my next project is underway. I've been painting a lot of sci-fi and fantasy figures, so it was time to go back and do another historical. This is a 54mm gladiator figure from Pegaso. The kit comes with two variations, a Thraex or a Hoplomachus. Both looked neat but the shield for the Hoplomachus seemed inaccurate to me. So I went with the Thraex variant. He carries a smaller shield than the more familiar Murmillo (who carried the larger Roman shield and the Roman gladius - short sword) so he was more mobile. He carried a curved sword popular in Thrace (hence his name) which could hook around his opponents shield and pull it away or strike at their undefended back. The Thraex and Murmillo would commonly face each other in the arena.

I feel like I've made good progress on him so far, though I have only done two colors - skin and off white. I used a more bronze skin mix since the colors I used for the White Speaker and Bruiser Gus were far to pale or pink for a gladiator. I also tried to up the contrast and use stronger shadows. For the clothing I went with an off white. When I looked at other painted examples for inspiration I saw a lot of colors here... but when I look at historical reference (Roman mosaics) I just see a lot of white clothing. Doesn't mean colors weren't used, but I felt this would be more accurate. I will be bringing in some brighter colors in the feathers and the shield. I'm also hoping to use some glazes to bring some subtle shades into the armor.

Name:  thraex01.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  51.8 KB Name:  thraex02.jpg
Views: 23393
Size:  54.0 KB Name:  thraex03.jpg
Views: 24157
Size:  50.6 KB Name:  thraex04.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  51.7 KB Name:  thraex05.jpg
Views: 23192
Size:  60.0 KB

I'll be doing some weathering later, so he won't always be this clean. There was a small defect on the left shoulder, so I'll be turning that into a wound later too.

Well I was thinking about assassins creed when I thought what colours to use for shadowblade, you can change your clothes set in AC and there was one particular one that I like, it was a wine colour with a dark blue cloak, so I've been trying that out.

Your bronzed flesh looks amazing, if I may say something, I think his front looks to bright, I would definitely go for the brown or maybe even a sunburn skin You are very correct with the white cloth, using colours would be very wrong in a historical aspect. Colours were only used to show recognition and were a public display of power

Besides that, your off white is well painted. Will you paint the shield red?

Keep up your awesome work!

Cileon

Blog Entries

he is looking really good. Nice job getting the skin smooth and the white is off to a good start too. I'll be following sir.

looking good, very smooth indeed !
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Thanks, Cileon, Milosh, and 10 ball.

Just a small update, didn't have much time to paint this weekend. I finished the pants and put the first few coats of paint for the cloth on the arm. Up next will be the metallics. I picked up some Vallejo Model Air metallics last weekend and I'm really looking forward to trying them out. I've heard some really good things so I'm hoping they will be a little easier for me to work with. My TMM aren't where I'd like them so I'm looking forward to the practice.

Name:  thraex07.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  80.4 KB Name:  thraex10.jpg
Views: 5733
Size:  78.7 KB Name:  thraex11.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  84.7 KB

While I continue to finish my gladiator I'm already starting on my next project, some Malifaux guild riflemen. They just announced a competition for Wyrd over on Wamp so I thought these would be a good entry. I like the poses and think I'll try to create a shootout style diorama for them. It's still in the planning stages but I will try to post pictures once I start construction.

Name:  product_87432.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  66.6 KB

I'm going to do a more traditional western look, so no blue/turquoise coats.

A shoot out could look cool! what did you have in mind for the setting? Inside or outside scene? I am a nosey one :P

Will be looking foirward to see the malifaux figures up close see where you take them, also to see waht quality they have and if you like there "new" sculpts.

/Kretcher

Wow, those trousers look like they are actually quilted. Smooth, crazy painting skills!