Bailey03's WIP - Page 51
Page 51 of 172 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 3428

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Thanks, guys.

Andy, not sure I can fit both dragons on the shield, but I might work them into the scene before I'm done. I'd like to work a banner or two into the base.

Zab, that Attila is a sweet looking figure. Very bad ass. I look forward to seeing what you do with something on that scale. Hmmm... well, if the space clowns have neat sculpts then I just might get some.

Thanks, Demi. The base will definitely be an important part of the scene. I need it to tell the rest of the story.

Krule, you mean the sculpting or the painting? I haven't done any highlighting yet, so it should look better when I'm done.
    The painting. The sculpt lends itself to an anime style, but it is a fairly traditional hair cut. I am sure it will look more realistic with the highlighting.

Blog Entries

Gees dude, you keep upping your game. This is really looking great. When is CB anyway? I might want to go just to see these new treasures in person.

Well, before Arthur I tried working on a true 28mm figure. It was a very humbling experience (and one of the more frustrating painting sessions I've had in a while). I definitely need to stick to the 54's, 75's, and 90's, at least when it comes to painting for competitions.

Crystal Brush is March 19-22. Although if you're not coming for any of the events then I'd just be there for Saturday/Sunday. I signed up for a couple of the seminars so I'll be there Friday too. There's going to be a decent sized CMON contingent, it'd be great to see you there too!

Freakin amazing Bailey, once the highlights are on Im thinking it will blow us away. Im looking forward to my loots coming too Zab its almost been a month in the post for my scale stuff, hope to see it soon.
    Last edited by Canny; 12-29-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Well, before Arthur I tried working on a true 28mm figure. It was a very humbling experience (and one of the more frustrating painting sessions I've had in a while). I definitely need to stick to the 54's, 75's, and 90's, at least when it comes to painting for competitions.

Crystal Brush is March 19-22. Although if you're not coming for any of the events then I'd just be there for Saturday/Sunday. I signed up for a couple of the seminars so I'll be there Friday too. There's going to be a decent sized CMON contingent, it'd be great to see you there too!
    King Arthur junior looks AWESOME, as usual for your work. Is crystal brush in SoCal this year?

Those checks man. Your like a pattern making ninja.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Cute little guy, on the shield for a WOW! factor maybe, great work, you guys are a delight to follow.

Thanks, guys.
    Hmmm... well, if the space clowns have neat sculpts then I just might get some.
    I'm hoping that might be true, while I was enthusiastic about the release of the "last" versions at first, after getting them..... Well I was disappointed by what I can only describe as careless material sculpting.
    If you look at those leaping figures the loincloth isn't as dynamic as is should be, and since I'm not a sculptor re-working them is a right pain in the Peegu.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I'm just flabbergasted by those pants... Can't imagine how much time that went into that.

Oistene, yeah, it took a little while. My first pass is pretty rough. I just want to get the general size and spacing to look right. Then as I highlight and shade I clean things up. Since I don't worry about making those early stages perfect it helps speed up the proess.

TheLost, unfortunately Crystal Brush is up in Chicago. I'd love for it to be a local show, but I don't think they move it around.

Well, I took care of a few odds and ends on Arthur and then tackled the heraldry. For the shield I began with the background - red with a slight gradient. I decided to do a dragon based on the rampant lion for the design. I first worked it out on paper and ran through several versions before I was satisfied. To paint it on the shield I took a medium yellow and carefully sketched in the curve for the neck, body, and tail. Then I went back to do the rest of the details: the head, arms, legs, wing, and tail spike. Switching back to the red, I cleaned up the outline and drew in the lines for the arms, legs, and along the belly. Then I went in a gave the design some simple shading.

I was on the fence about doing a design on the chest as well, but I decided to give it a go. The strap made it tricky and the size meant it'd be about half the size of the one on the shield. So I simplified the pattern a bit and then took the same approach as on the shield (main curve first, then details). Overall I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I've got a couple little things to do on the figure, then it's on to the base.

Blog Entries

Whoa, you are making that freehand look easy! Looks great

Yep, it's official: you're the man when it comes to clothes. Not that I could ever match your quality on the rest, but the way you paint it puts your minis on another level.

Blog Entries

Fantastic work on the heraldry!

Thanks, Demi, Alexandra, and Milosh!

I'm building a base for Arthur, but it's still got a ways to go. In the meantime, I started another figure which arrived on my doorstep this past week. This is another 75mm Napoleonic from Pegaso, an aide-de-camp to Marshal Suchet, 1811. Back at that time the aide-de-camps often found themselves in the midst of battle, having to cut their way through enemy lines to deliver important orders or information at all costs. During hard campaigns the life expectancy of an aide-de-camp was about two months.

This is a potential project for Crystal Brush. I might enter this or the Officer of the Guide into the large scale category. I like the Officer of the Guide, but from certain angles the sculpt looks a bit doofy (one of which is head on). Since I can't control what angles they photograph it for the online judging, I'd like to have another option that looks good from all angles.

As always, I began with his face. Here are a couple close ups:

He's a complex figure, so I'm dong the painting and assembling in a couple phases. After I finish the torso I'll be adding the left arm. Then when the body is finished I'll add the other hand, his scabbard and sabretache. Finally I'll attach the pelisse, the coat slung over his left shoulder.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Your work is as always amazing dude.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Yeah Bailey you really rock on Historicals.
    You ever tried a bust as I think you'd rock some, especially those sculpted by Carl Reid?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Thanks, Digganob and Dragonsreach. Yeah, I've done a couple busts but the last one was about three years ago (Phillip II which is in my gallery). My painting has come a long way since then, so I should try another one. I've got a couple in my grey army, but nothing from Carl Reid. I've seen a lot of his stuff though, some really fantastic busts. He does a lot of half body ones too, so plenty of details to paint!

On a side note, I just saw two new companies coming up with some cool figures so I wanted to share them with the CMON community. The first is Abyss. They're making some really cool looking fantasy and sci-fi busts and figures. Nothing for sale yet, but some very intriguing WIP sculpts on their facebook page and blog.
    https://www.facebook.com/ABYSSArtofJ...man?fref=photo
    http://abyssartofjasonmonkman.blogspot.nl/
    Sometimes it's nice to do something completely out of my comfort zone, so I think that creepy tentacle creature bust would be an awesome project. The sci-fi warrior bust would also be a neat project to paint.

The second company is doing a kickstarter for a line of 54mm sci-fi figures. The three they have so far are interesting, though not quite my thing. But I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one. I imagine they'll be releasing more as the campaign goes on.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...es/description

*tries to coax Bailey into doing the February contest,..* C'mon,.. you know we all want to see your work!!!
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Would all of those figure bases that I can't bring myself to finish count for the contest? I will join in on one of these, but with Crystal Brush the following month I'm not sure I'll have time. If I can get the four competition projects wrapped up I'll join in.

Here's a quick update on the aide-de-camp. There's a lot of detail on this guy, so up first was the shako. I tried to give a bit of a textured feel to the black. Then there's all the metal work. I painted on some additional detail for these, like the dots on the center strip and the diagonal lines on the strip around the base. I'll be doing a lot more of this when I get to the details on the rest of his clothing.

Blog Entries

Fast work Bailey! When are the palisse and sabretache going to come back into style? Sabretache is a perfect place for your tablet phone!

He definitely has an enthusiastic look. I suppose that was much sought after in aide-de-camps. He does look a tad pale though. All that running through enemy lines might give him more rosie cheeks. I have been fooling around with reds in your light skin formula and I found old Violet Red to go nicely for lips and such, as well as Magma Red mixed in with some Muddy Brown. It comes out like a really hot Chestnut Brown.