Bailey03's WIP - Page 72
Page 72 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 3428

Thread: Bailey03's WIP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    It's very tough with female skin to know when to leave well enough alone.
    Words to live by....

Bailey that is looking incredible. What are you base coating the leather stuff with? Is that Walnut Brown? And how about the blush on her cheeks? It looks really great, not too much not too little.

Ha, very true.

Thanks. The base coat for the leather is blackened brown, but walnut brown would also be a good choice. For the blush on her cheeks, I used a bit of Violet Red and also some Imperial Purple as I got into the darker spots.

Hi,

Every project that you begin is an opportunity to learn.

Wonderful skin without any doubt.

Many thanks,
    Mariano.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Ha, very true.

Thanks. The base coat for the leather is blackened brown, but walnut brown would also be a good choice. For the blush on her cheeks, I used a bit of Violet Red and also some Imperial Purple as I got into the darker spots.
    Whoa, imperial purple is some strong and dark stuff. That's great, I have to remember that and try to be a little more daring with my skin tones. Is that the same base color for the under shirt? Also aren't the straps that frame her cleavage that same material? They look grey or beige now.

Yup, you definitely want to be careful with that purple. Too much and it will way overpower the skin tones. But, you've gotta be bold with those colors if you want to compete against all those pesky European painters. =P

Well, the first set of pictures over on the steampunk thread were a bit overexposed, so colors look different there. I've got several materials/colors on her upper body. All the leather bits (blackened brown), the dark cloth in front of her breasts and on her sleeves (pure black), and then the light colored sections of cloth on top (base coated with weathered stone, but they will be white in the end). There's also a small line/strap running horizontally. Right now that's just primer but it will probably be leather in the end. Oh, and then there are the corset bits which are imperial purple.

Dam mate thats looking amazing! thanks for the write up too. good stuff to think about.

Thanks, Canny!

I was out of town for a few days at the end of last week, so didn't get a whole lot done. I joined in on a hobby hangout over google chat the other night and I went poking around for something to work on. I'm feeling a bit stuck on the Hussar bust and Lady Mechanika. I was hoping to paint in order to relax, so struggling to make progress on one of those projects did not sound like fun. Instead I thought I'd start a new 54mm project. It's a scale I'm more comfortable with and tend to be quicker for me to finish. I also wanted something I could bring to the Bay Area Open if I end up going next month. I went looking at the fantasy options I had in 54mm and found this Andrea figure that I'd prepped and primed over a year ago but never started. The figure is called Sorondil, Dragon Hunter. Not the most popular (took me a while to find any other versions online), but it's an interesting sculpt and I've got a general idea of what I'd like to do with him.

I began on the face and skin, as usual. To shake things up a bit, I mixed in some Imperial Purple (maybe 25-33%) into the normal browns I used in the shadows. It's a fantasy figure, so there's some more room to experiment. Plus I plan to use a lot of purple and red tones on this project. Today my set of inks from Scale75 arrived, so I used those in place of my normal red and purple glazes on the skin. They seem nice so far, although I'm going to need more use before I can give a full review.

You may notice some stuff missing from the figure... like his arms. I left a few pieces off to make painting his clothing easier. And he's holding a spear in his right hand that looks extremely breakable. Big blade on a very thin shaft. I'm going to leave that off for as long as I can to reduce my risk of accidentally snapping it in half.

When doing my own research I noticed that a lot of Andrea figures don't get much attention from painters. They have so many wonderful historical and fantasy models, but when looking to see what other people did with them it's hard to find anything but the box art. Anyway, the flesh looks really good, but then it always does on your models.

And I've been meaning to ask, do you know anything about what happened with the Pegaso CB sponsored category? I figured if there was any news you would know since your Knight of the Holy Sepulchre would surely have won gold.

Yeah, considering how many figures Andrea offers, you don't see that many of them being posted on the main sites. From the fantasy line it's Olfo (the hobbit) and that elf riding a dinosaur that show up. Their sci fi lines gets a little more love, I've seen a bunch of those. But that's about it. Too bad.

Unfortunately my my pieces didn't get picked by the Pegaso team. They went with the fantasy piece (the on that won 3rd in large scale I believe). There was a chance they'd select a 2nd and 3rd place, but that opted to do only one. Sunce there were a bunch of Pegaso entries, not giving out a 2nd and 3rd is what really disappoints me. But it was Pegaso's choice, not the CB team. Oh well, I'll just have to try again next year.

Sorondil does remind of Gokan, the pose and the belt, plus you say he has a big sword.
    im interested in your thoughts on the Scale 75 inks. I'm due to get another set as I'm slowly collecting them all and I'm undecided on which next, skin, metals or inks ?

I've got the 54mm female elf archer and the 28mm sorcerer from Andrea and both are lovely sculpts. The detail is no where near as crisp as resin (which I was a little surprised at) but still nice. Love your colour choice for the skin Bailey. the extra purple really adds to its ethereal appearance.
    Gandalf - I've got a few of the scale 75 paint sets including the inks and all are brilliant (apart from the fresh set which has a wierd oily texture and refuses to mix) I find myself using the ink set more and more at the moment. I love the depth it brings to my colours.

Thanks!

Darthmarsh, oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the archer. That's another one you see people doing. As for detail, metal is never quite as crisp as resin but the Andrea ones are decent. There chain mail leaves something to be desired, but I've seen far worse metal castings.

Gandalf, if you don't have the true metallic sets then I highly recommend starting with those. The metals are a big step up from other brands in my opinion. Inks are nice to have, but the metals are something I use all the time.

Thanks guys, gives me a way forward. I think metals then inks.

The TMM gold set is really nice. You don't seem to be having to much trouble with the detail on this sculpt Bailey. Is it on the miniature or painted?

I'm a pretty big fan of that Orc pirate from Andrea. Recently though I've wanted to do a dio with their Norman Rockwell inspired minis. I've noticed that my appetite for minis had sort of evolved toward minis that "paint well" by having details, textures, and/or poses and expressions that support good painting. Looks like you chose one of these Bailey.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

There are definitely some nice figures in that Andrea Warlord Saga range. I was just looking through it again and realized there were a few I'd forgotten were even part of it. Falkar, Wandering Sword and Urmuth, Scars of War are both in that line and I've seen multiple versions on them on CMON. Zweothel, Queen of Darkness is also one I've seen around a bunch. For anyone looking to try out painting a slightly larger scale than 28/32mm, it's a good place to start. There are quite a few nice options, they aren't overly expensive (compared to the larger 75 and 90mm kits), and they're fantasy figures so you're not stuck working on those boring historical figures. =P
    http://www.andreadepotusa.com/en/1/a...-saga.html?p=1

Oh, that Norman Rockwell inspired line is really lovely looking. And definitely something you don't find through other brands. As you get more into the world of display painting, finding projects that will 'paint well' becomes a lot more important. There are ways you can use paint to fix a bad sculpt, but it's a hell of a lot easier to just start with a good one instead.

Darthmarsh, are you referring to a specific detail on the figure or just the sculpt in general? Most of what I've done so far (aside from the eyebrows) has just been following the sculpt.

Currently I'm struggling with the colors on this guy. I roughed it out with the base coat for his clothing, but I'm really not happy with how it all looks together. I have this general idea of how I think he should look and these colors definitely aren't doing it. I think my problem is worrying too much about what the materials actually should be. It's fantasy, this stuff doesn't have to be real. I'm almost done with the scales (on that part at least I knew what I wanted to do), then I'm going to have to make some decisions and rework the rest of his outfit. I'll try to post some more WIP tonight or tomorrow.

You have alot of warm shades going so far so I would be tempted to go with cool colours for the clothing.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I think Dagor is my favorite piece from the Warlord Saga line (http://www.andreadepotusa.com/en/1/a...l#!prettyPhoto), and of course Brogan will always have a special place in my heart as my first 8 rating on CMON. And I'll be painting the Scottish Pipper soon as a Christmas present to my dad, who was in a pipe band in the 80's and 90's.

Anna was a nice model, but I still thought the knight was better. I hope Pegaso comes back next year, I have a couple pieces I could enter, like the 42nd Highlander I'm currently working on and a samurai from the Momoyama period.

As for the colors, all I pictures I see of him have green dragon scales, maybe you could red scales to help it stand out.

You and I are very much the same DP in that when I get to a part of a mini I've been dreading because it's either going to be challenging or I just can't see the result I am after, I'll either procrastinate until I figure it out by working on small details or reworking troubled areas, or I'll put the mini aside altogether. On my current mini I am afraid of the freehand and so I've taken weeks of really not getting much done at all. Amazing what confidence does to your painting speed.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

BFK, my thought is if I'm not enjoying what I'm painting, then why keep doing it? When I get stuck on a project, instead of banging my head against it, I'll take a break and move on to something else. The danger is you can end up just going from project to project and never finish anything. So that's why I'll go back to old projects from time to time and give them another try (happened several times with that mounted knight). And painting for competitions is a good motivator to go back and wrap stuff up. Sometimes I'll refer to figures as my 'just for fun' projects. These are the sorts of things where I don't really have anything planned, I'm just painting them for my own enjoyment and occasionally to try out a new technique. If they turn out well, I can still take them to shows. But going into it without really caring about the end result can help keep me from getting stuck.

10 and fluister, for the time being I've been sticking with the warm colors. I was originally thinking of a desert base, so it made sense to focus on those shades. And, as such, I had always planned to do red scales which you can see in the image below. But over the past day I've been rethinking this piece. The scales and the pattern are giving me more of a dinosaur vibe. So now my thought is to place this figure in more of a pseudo-prehistoric setting, something like the Savage Lands from Marvel. It would also fit with his giant stone spear. With more of a jungle setting I feel better mixing in some cool tones with his clothing. And all the red that's currently on the figure will still be a nice contrast to what I'm guessing will be a very green base.

Fluister, I thought the knight had a good shot, but the fantasy piece was also extremely well done. There were quite a few Pegaso entries, so hopefully that will inspire them to come back next year (maybe even show up with a vendor table!). I could definitely come up with more of their stuff to enter. The design work on that highlander is looking great, by the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images