Hey America you're fat..... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey America you're fat.....

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    This article amazed me today. America is a fat bunch of people, I am partially one of them.
    'Taint just America.
    But the 'States have to take a portion of the blame because of the introduction of the fastfood/deliver to your door mentality.
    It's become all to easy to just ring up your local pizza/Indian/Chinese and get food delivered, and guess what we don't exercize any where near enough to burn off any calories.

And yes I'm as guilty as the rest on the above! Overweight but working at it.
    (How come I have patience for painting but want weightloss immediately?)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    'Taint just America.
    But the 'States have to take a portion of the blame because of the introduction of the fastfood/deliver to your door mentality.
    It's become all to easy to just ring up your local pizza/Indian/Chinese and get food delivered, and guess what we don't exercize any where near enough to burn off any calories.

And yes I'm as guilty as the rest on the above! Overweight but working at it.
    There's a number of issues. Stress and pollution can actually increase hunger, and as a country that has moved to a service industry long ago and is populated by news outlets that have the sole interest of increasing stress levels, the amount of stress in daily lives has gone up while physical activity has gone down. The fast food/junk food mentality was put in place because we were sold on the idea that we have no time to cook for ourselves. The fact that the mentality spread as well as the food tells me that it's not an American issue, but a human one.

(How come I have patience for painting but want weightloss immediately?)
    Oh, actually that's real easy. Painting is something you enjoy, weight loss is something we're scolded with. You aren't sold the idea that weight loss or dieting is something that's fun, relaxing, or exciting, you basically only hear about it when people in the media or the world are looking down on other people, or themselves, who are overweight. So, mentally, it doesn't become something you do all the time, it becomes something you do when you've already failed something you didn't know or didn't realize you were supposed to be working on all the time, everyday.
    Basically most of us were probably raised and told to brush our teeth and learned hygiene at an early age, but I'm willing to bet few if any were also told to run two laps around the building or do sit ups before going to bed. We're probably taught that exercise or sports are fun, but the mental connection between weight loss and exercise is tenuous even when it's the same actions because we associate words with those actions. When the word has a negative connotation, like "weight loss", we dislike the action of it even if it's the same as something we like, like "exercise". So in the end, the effort of weight loss or exercise becomes less of a reward and more of a punishment or something we don't want to do. So we just want it over with faster.

Quote Originally Posted by me_in_japan View Post
    what gets me about this article is the bit about the teacher who got the kids to make the music video spoof in the first place. Yeah, nice one - teach kids that if they complain and stamp their feet they'll get what they want, because hey, this is America and we are entitled to stuff we want, goddamit!

Nobody else noticed that as the root cause of the problem, no? I mean, if the teachers were teaching the kids to look after their own weight and eat properly by themselves it wouldn't be an issue in the first place, would it? Is it so hard to bring your own sandwiches to school these days?
    They are taught it, but there's massive limitations put on teachers and how far they can push issues. The change needs to happen in both school and home life, and one meal a day will not change an entire lifetime of bad habits learned at home. I don't think that the teachers or the students are necessarily to blame, though. If the students are still hungry after their meals and it's distracting them, the teachers have a harder job. Honestly there's a lot better ways to solve the issue than the suggested "more". If the students were given a meal higher in carbohydrates and protein they'd be less likely to be hungry later. They could also provide gum or minty flavored items as the "minty" flavor basically tells your body to stop eating and reduces hunger. But those run into the issues of an incredibly low budget for school provided food, the problems of mass producing large amounts of food that has to fit religious, and sometimes vegetarian, dietary guidelines, and the problem with a democratically elected menu in most areas. When the government tries to provide the entire school system with guidelines, what you get is the schools answering with "less".

The problem in this case isn't education or overweight students, the problem is that the school district was given a new guideline to follow and instead of changing the menu to be healthy and fulfilling under those guidelines they simply provided less of what they were already providing, which doesn't work. I can kind of understand that because government institutions have little ability to just throw out food that wont work under their new plans so they have to use of the stockpiles of food for their old menus.

Oh and just some examples of what they could provide instead: various pastas (though they'll likely only stick with spaghetti if you told them something that general), sandwiches (PBJ-387 calories, Roast Beef-under 290 calories), slice of pizza (298 calories). These even leave a lot of room for things like salads, fruit, or even fries on the side as well as almost any kind of drink you could imagine, on top of that I'd also give the students a pack of, sugarless, gum and as long as it didn't become an issue, I'd allow it to be chewed in class. While the pizza or fries aren't much on nutrition, it's still filling and more likely to be accepted by the student body. Which is good on occasion, but should be only once a week at most.
    Last edited by Dedwrekka; 09-29-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Going to be a bit "deep" (not easy first thing on a Monday morning) and making huge generalisations.

If you go back 25+ years ago children were walked to school by a parent (often Mum), this was because most families could only afford one car (if a car at all). Fast forward to the present day, both parents have to work* so rather than being walked to school, children get driven so parents get to work on time.

Jobs are actually a lot more stressful as companies have striped back to the bare minimum of staff, so workers have more work, more responsibility and more stress*2. This means that when workers get home, the last thing they want to do is to spend time preparing and cooking food resulting in consuming food that takes less time to prepare - pastabakes that you just fling in the oven, pizza etc. This type of food is generally less healthy than the food you would prepare yourself.

The ultimate result is that you end up with a family that has got into a vicious circle of "weight gain living".

When I was at school, "exercise" was not exercise that normal people did - it was sport, pure and simple. The concept that you competed against your peers for no real reason other than self gratification that you could beat them - in principal the only reason to do sport.

Part of the solution is very simple, but exceptionally difficult to implement. People need to factor in some form of exercise into their daily life. Walking is the easiest, but in the current climate people don't have the spare time to walk to work/town and in many cases live too far away for this to be practical. I'm very fortunate in that I don't have a car driving license so *have* to walk to work - it's just shy of 2 miles and I do it in 25 minutes twice a day, however most people aren't in this situation.

* Due to the fact that it is very difficult to live on a single 'average' wage
    *2 I don't mean medical stress

Speaking of exercise and walking, my company pays us (well, pays our medical savings accounts) to wear pedometers. Goal is to have 7k steps in a day. Poor cube dweller such as myself, who is now in a location where parts get locked down for test operations frequently, I find I get maybe 2k in a day. And if I walk every chance I get, I might manage 4k before I get home. So hard to get that mere walking in with today's corporate environment. And winter is coming, so it'll get even harder to get any at home.

Guess that turned into a bit of a complaining session. Sorry!
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

The really funny part about this is that while living in Asia, that fattest country title was passed to Thailand, and Australia. Seriously. America made the head lines with that accusation. the next year, it was Australia. But don't worry, everyone kept the focus on America. And then it was Thailand. this was really funny because I've been to Thailand four times. Fat people were few and far between. But don't worry. Everyone had America to laugh at. I decided to do my own research and found out that America had 63% obesity at the time and Samoa was the fattest country with 93%.

And people wonder why I am so cynical of the media.

But I did learn one thing. If I did need a new wife, I would go to Samoa.

'I like big butts and boobs and I cannot lie...'
    Last edited by Ebonbuddha; 10-21-2012 at 02:40 AM.

I found this thread quite amusing because there was a front page news article in a Swedish paper today about a school whose kitchen personnel got complaints from the county management because they were feeding the kids food that was "too healthy" because it wasn't fair to the kids attending other schools. That made me (along with quite a few others around here) rage a bit. I mean, if it fits within the budget(which it did), shouldn't they be used as an example to strive for instead of getting told to lower the quality of their food?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

That is insane, Chrome. I don't know about Sweden, but in the US, the schools get kick backs from companies that sell junk food. The reason for doing it is because American schools are severely underfunded, or wasteful. It Depends on who you ask. So, if Coca-Cola or Pepsi cola offered your school money to put machine in, they took it.

Maybe Sweden is doing that too.

Since my wife and I are trying to eat healthier, we share articles about healthy eating. I came across this comparison.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...tml?ref=sunday

Luckily we aren't so privatised yet that corporations are able to fund schools in that manner. The government funds the schools completely and they'r not allowed to go beyond the governed budget. That said, even if it is a restricted budget it's definitely not small.

A day or so later the paper publishing that article published a new one where it was stated that it was all a huge misunderstanding, they(the school board) had thought that the personnel had been exceeding their budget by doing this and that's why they were putting an end to it. But they're back to allowing the personnel to bake fresh bread for the kids and make more varied food again and they've also started an educational campaign where that school's personnel is handing out tips on how to improve the kids' food to the other schools in the vicinity without severely increasing their work burden.

That said, that there was an awesome comparison and I'd choose the middle meal there any day over any fast food, but boy, those were expensive vegetables! I'll never complain about veggie prices here again! Just take the bell peppers as an example, $3 (I'm going to assume they mean that's the price for four pieces and not per piece, making it $0.75 per piece) is what would get you two, maybe three kilos of peppers here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

We gave the world deep fried Mars bars and sausages in batter and we're blaming the US for being fat over here? Shame on us for not just manning up and saying "yeah, we have let ourselves go a bit, we should sort that out.".

I am interested in knowing from our friends throughout the world, what are the common stereotypes of Americans though? I have been told by multiple people that they consider us to be big, fat people that look like pigs. Also we are considered to be very conceited and close-minded. At least that is what other people have told me about the common stereotypes of Americans from other countries.

I am reminded of the movie, The Triplets of Belleville where the stereotyping of many different nations was done damn well it kind of made me go, oh snap!
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    Also we are considered to be very conceited and close-minded. At least that is what other people have told me about the common stereotypes of Americans from other countries.
    Sadly Stereotypes of All Nations have their origins in some truth.
    Regretfully I have met and worked with Americans who fit the loud, bigoted insular outlook that the Stereotype gets "Tarred" with being.
    Equally I have met and worked alongside very much the opposite of the stereotype.

One thing I have discovered is that both Italian and French female stereotypes are nothing to complain about.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Yep personal experience varies greatly with the typical stereotype of an American. This being a fat burger munching John Wayne wanabe gun toting bully who thinks world news should be USA canada and mexico no were else exists apart from them godamn limeys, frogs and bloody commies.

However when I have worked with americans and spoken to them via CMON the impression has been polite, generous well informed above all kind people utterly at odds with the stereotype. Frankly a credit to your nation. Still like their guns though
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

John Wayne movie + Tasty Burger = 10 balls happy night in
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Yep personal experience varies greatly with the typical stereotype of an American. This being a fat burger munching John Wayne wanabe gun toting, polite, generous well informed above all kind people utterly at odds with the stereotype. Frankly a credit to your nation. Still like their guns though
    Fixed it for ya....

And you forgot beer-swilling.

My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Ha I Wana be the duke myself
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=

You know if it wasn't for the United States, you Brits would be a bunch of Nazi's............

:3

Stereotyping Ubie is Stereotyping Ubie
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Nonsense we were just drawing them in, ready to pounce !!
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

And then offer them a cup of tea and poor dental hygene and a picnic with the queen who we all know and how to talk with a fake cockney accent coor blimey! Err did i miss anything there oh yes how too talk with a stiff upper lip and survive off apalling overpriced food and warm beer. Lol I think I got all the british stereotypes there in a couple of sentences
    Here be my ranking=