Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick's WIP Thread

I'm actually a man! Rose Model Art's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Rick's WIP Thread

Hi folks,

well i have lots going on at the moment, and instead of having specific WIP threads i thought i would just have a running blog like a few have on here.

As I've been off this week been working on a few things, mainly my Grey Knights force and a few specific projects.

Dark Vengance chaos lord:
    Name:  DSC02115.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  97.6 KBName:  DSC02113.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  94.4 KB

Inq Coteaz:

Name:  P9243420_zps83ebbacd.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  172.7 KBName:  P9243422_zps9dac6e1c.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  173.2 KB

Draigo:
    Name:  DSC02117.jpg
Size:  102.9 KB

taking some time off from high end standard, so enjoying my painting to get through stuff.
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Been a while since an update mainly due to Real life issues but got my painting mojo on for Gamed day UK in 2 months.

To this end I am going for a squad entry with the eagle warrior theme again as I like them and you don't see them often.

The squad is a command group with a commander, 2 honour guard, a standard bearer and a champion.

The models consist of FW, Finecast and 2 metal figures. Some mild conversion work has been done to make them all have axes as a theme and skull backpacks (trying to get a command symbol theme)

I also recently changed the standard from a blank one to a converted molded detail one, my freehand is okay but needs work.

(the following is stuff from my WAMP thread just amalgamated to keep this up to date too )

Well the road to golden demon is started again.

Leaving this one a bit tight i feel but other things going on in life (mainly planned surgery coming up) has meant my time to enjoy painting has been slim.

However i have got a plan in place to enter the squad category for 40k with a space marine veteran group using figures from various releases and some FW stuff.

Plan is a mkV armour commander with 2 master of the chapter figures as lieutenants and a standard bearer and a custom champion made from the new releases for Apocalypse last week but removed his jetpack.

did some basic clean up of the fw guys but a proper day washing and removing all mold lines and fillling and gaps etc.

using Sam B's tips that lifted me to a finalist pin last year i hope i can repeat that, however with my eyes maybe needing new glasses sometimes i feel i am not getting correct depth perception but i think this is in my head lol.

Hopefully get this all done in time, main decision is do i do a base, or just base them individually and put on a plinth, its 50/50 on previous winners.

All parts have been checked for mold lines, blemishes and any other issues, then washed in fairy solution, left to dry and some of the assembly and conversion prep carried out.

I changed the hammer arm for an FW axe and standard arm i had as giving all the juniors axe weapons unifies the group (a nice tip ) and i have glued the main parts toether that wont effect the painting by blocking too much detail, things like arms with cloaks, the shield and heads i always paint seperately, i also found an eagle style backpack from a command sprue i had, i like these in the eagle warrior models so want to keep the theme.

Next up undercoat with VJ black primer and check for any blemishes again once paint is on.

if all is well i will do the white base first.
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Oh thank god! I thought I was the only one dumb enough to decide on a split scheme for my marines. Good, good. My DV set is going to be angels of redemption. Just a few projects to bust through first though. Nice work!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Nice stuff! I am looking forward to more progress. I have been contemplating doing a split on my DA as i have painted two DA armies in the past and it would be something different.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Blog Entries

Did more work on the blue tonight, shaded the blue with a mix of base and doombull brown, using 2 brush blending to get a smooth transition.

I then started the highlight with Calgar blue mixed into the base and feathered on the areas of light, gradually going up to almost 4:1 calgar to base, then a fine edge of calgar and white scar, only done one figure to this edge highlight so far.

Name:  20130801_221021.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  279.9 KB
    Name:  20130801_221205.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  222.6 KB
    Name:  20130801_221148.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  214.0 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Blog Entries

(Edit after almost throwing Ipad through wall!)Got the main colours finished with smoother transitions, more shading of both colours and edge highlights. Pics don't show white transitions much due to daylight bulb and phone cam but models look quite good in flesh, hopefully the detail colour will blend it together as its just the blue n white you see at the mo, some very light chipping to do but that will be later.

Name:  20130803_212942.jpg
Size:  285.9 KB
    Name:  20130803_212900.jpg
Size:  290.9 KB
    Name:  20130803_212923.jpg
Size:  272.6 KB
    Name:  20130803_212844.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  283.8 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 12:45 PM.

at the last picture, you can spot a mouldline pretty easily on the pole/hand, you should fix that otherwise, nice work so far. good luck with these!

Blog Entries

Spotted the finger ones the other night but its an easy fix, however the moulded banner basically glues over that the way it sits so its not the end of the world, but big pics show up the smallest niggles

Blog Entries

Well after a bad couple of days with the Cronh's and a CT scan, I wasn't up to much apart from feeling like dying being an acceptable alternative. I tried to do some painting to take my mind off it.

I got the cloak backs done on the four guys that have them (pictured) and I then tidies up all of the figures with black in preparation for the metals and to also neaten everything up as I go. This really made the white stand out with the definite areas of black next to them without over-painted areas etc.

I applied the base metal (leadbelcher) to the areas I am making steel coloured etc., and I will then apply the base for the gold (dull gold and mid leather colour mix). I will have more pics of the detail stuff at the weekend, when I will have new glasses so can see better haha.

Really enjoying my painting again, I may even try a cheeky single entry if I get the squad finished. Staying away from armour as I will go mad with the weathering!

Name:  20130805_131139.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  348.2 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 12:46 PM.

pretty sweet cloaks! id say go 100% for the squad and take it nice and easy, better get one kickass entry in there than 11 half good!

Blog Entries

Yeah, that is the plan, it really depends when I get this finished, as I haven't even started the base, but I have sketched the plan out and got the materials for it.

Newbie, please be gentle DistortedMe's Avatar

nice work! Those cloaks really pop, think this is gonna look good as a complete unit!

just one thinghy: there's a spot of red on the blue armor on the second guy from the left, on his backpackholder (or whatever its called... :P) Just in case you missed it

Keep on the good work and keep it comming!

greets!
    'The Summer is here and the time is right!'
    Casablanca - Beast Of Summer

Looking very good mate, like the reds alot.

As Skel says just focus on the squad.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DistortedMe View Post
    nice work! Those cloaks really pop, think this is gonna look good as a complete unit!

just one thinghy: there's a spot of red on the blue armor on the second guy from the left, on his backpackholder (or whatever its called... :P) Just in case you missed it

Keep on the good work and keep it comming!

greets!
    Yeah these were taken before I had done the tidying up of the black details to sharpen up the armour before doing the detail stuff. However I will be going all over the models with a critical eye checking for any issues to be checked before bringing it all together. Don't worry, I wouldn't submit an entry that had mistakes as noticeable as that, as I may as well just not turn up

Ack! You are making me jealous! I gotta finish this basement so I can get back to my split scheme marines. Great job on the cloaks, the shadows really tie into the blue with that cool tone well.

Blog Entries

I am also conscious of moving house in the next few weeks, so I may have a period of no man cave...this could be disastrous , but I am sure I will have the bulk of the painting done by then and the base will be getting most of that attention and that can be done on a decent table. On the flip side, dedicated man cave o doom.

Blog Entries

Busy weekend! Got a Flat!! its ace, has a room large enough for a gaming table and bar!! not that the good lady saw the funny side in this.... I got my new glasses prescription so was a bit myopic all day as I got used to them (only need for distance). So after all that I didn't get a huge amount done on the figures, but main progress has been on the gold areas, with base, main gold, then highlights, shading and final highlight with purple and green washes in a few places . Interior of the cloaks are getting done, just the base of dark blue and flat grey mix. I will get some pics tonight

Edit: pics as promised

Name:  20130812_225157.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  203.4 KB
    Name:  20130812_225236.jpg
Size:  210.0 KB
    Name:  20130812_225022.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  187.4 KB
    Name:  20130812_225221.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  223.0 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 12:55 PM.

You're kinda making me want to pick up my dv set with these guys - stop it. i have other things to finish

Blog Entries

Got a good few evenings and most of saturday to work on the models, mainly little bits, tidying up and going over stuff, so getting close to the main bodies being completed. Done the block basics of the banner and got the materials for the base diorama.

Main progress so far:

Name:  20130818_221811.jpg
Size:  363.6 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Great colour scheme, real stand out.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.