Rick's WIP Thread - Page 15
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick's WIP Thread

I'm actually a man! Rose Model Art's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@BJCDazzler - Hi, yeah he is slightly leaning to his eft, but its not fully glued so i may slide in an extra piece of 'slate' material to straighten him slightly. Its also part;y the sculpt, his left leg is bent slightly.

@Skell - Cheers Mate. looking forward to it, hopefully get finalist again, and anything more would be great.

Depends on how many come to this one and if the standard is good and high

Yes good to see the squad finished, looking forward to Sunday
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

What comp is this for Rose.?
    the marines look great mate good luck.
    Proud owner of a Teronus TMM original.
    Carpe Diem Carpe Nocturne

Blog Entries

Hi Terrafirma - It is for Golden demon Space marine at WW this weekend

Got them all finalised tonight. Glued to bases\plinths and awaiting packing to travel down from north of the wall.

Name:  PA124242.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  172.0 KB

Name:  PA124243.jpg
Size:  181.0 KB

Name:  PA124244.jpg
Size:  211.2 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Thats one lovely squad. You do some really nice blends .

Pretty dam good...for a bunch of silly marines :P haha seriously those guys are bad ass.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Blog Entries

Well after the disappointment of GD and a 10 hour delayed train home , i am returning to work.

No update on anything as wasn't home till yesterday evening and in work today, but i have seen the new star wars trailer, i cried manly tears of joy

Was good to meet some familiar faces and chat with Lee (10 ball), Andy G and Adrian Bay. Had a good chat with Aid and he gave me some good advice and always willing to help and have a good chat.

Plan now is to aim at Euro 2016 for the first time, as it sounds like my next logical step with my style of painting (i prefer realism over cartoonist look) so my highlights need to be exaggerated a bit and my gradient shading could be more overt, but nothing i cant do.

I also lucked out with a heresy breacher squad when i paid for the basic marine squad so free shields hehe.

Next painting plan is finish my fiancées tree man i did for fun, then look into scale 75 70mm stuff i have, need a change of canvas i think.

Blog Entries

Sound's like GD was a circus, but at least you got to hang out with some other great painters. As for more dynamic gradients something that helps me is to go WAY past what I think makes sens for the figure then you can always tone it down with a glaze. On the other hand some of the paint jobs I see look like a Christmas tree with white and glare all over...

Blog Entries

Worked on a few little side projects, a treeman for my Fiancée, as she liked them and a Halo fleet battles for a mates demo display for his shop.

Just stuff that's not desperate to be 100% or for comps, relaxing work.

Name:  3964018A-6069-42D3-BEB0-F08ECB5B5547.jpg
Size:  333.5 KB

Name:  BEC30B4B-4966-4B32-8755-80D712DBFEE1.jpg
Size:  203.4 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Quiet Sunday to myself as Fiancée had to work unexpectedly, so i painted some basset hounds for a friend and an Arcadia Quest Miniature for him too.

Tidied up my 'stock' of FW bags too, stuff from WWAAYY back hehe.

Name:  hounds%201.jpg
Size:  22.7 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, after a busy festive period where i was sorting out my wedding down south, working a bit, and trying not to get swept away in the recent flooding, i have started to paint again.

After a rather dissapointing Golden Demon last year, i put my brushes down in a bit of a grown up sulk\temper tantrum (a bit like holding my breath till i passed out).

I really wanted to do something fun and simple, so as part of our club, we decided to organise a year long miniature painting idea where everyone paints 120 models over the year.

I decided to raid my hoard and picked out the Age of Sigmar starter set, which has hardly been touched, and as i was able to get one of the new Getting Started boxes for a very small figure of coins, i now have some 50 models to get started with.

The plan is to pint them to high tabletop standard as a nice force to lay out, and even play a few games of it, as its simple and i want to try it and not just go by the internet bun fight about it all.

this is what i am building up( offical GW pic, not mie ):

Top end wise, i have Painting Buddhas Randalf Streisand or their Black Betty. want to do something other than 28mm for a bit too.

120!! My God man that would do me in.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

You know at first I just shook my head and sighed when you said AoS but dammmm that's some great work...and a lot too.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    You know at first I just shook my head and sighed when you said AoS but dammmm that's some great work...and a lot too.
    ~10ball - HaHa, its not too bad, its over 12 months so only 10 a month, though tbf i wasnt hugely keen on that figure, but as i run the club i cant not do it hehe.

~Digganob, cheers mate, though the pics arent mine, they are GW official pics, was just to show what i am building towards

Would be nice if i can paint them all like that, would be chuffed.

AoS gets a bad rap i feel, its not fantasy, its its own thing and i want to give it a chance., as some of the models are lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Model Art View Post
    HaHa, its not too bad, its over 12 months so only 10 a month,
    not too bad, 10 miniatures every months in one year... sounds like a slow mental torture to me haha... will be awesome to see it done though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Model Art View Post
    AoS gets a bad rap i feel, its not fantasy, its its own thing and i want to give it a chance., as some of the models are lovely.
    i think it was a great move to switch to easier rules for fantasy, im not an experienced player but the armybuilding and setup the few times when i played 8th took me hours, i dont have time for that regularly. its a bit sad they killed the old world though.

Blog Entries

Hi folks, well after a hell of a year including my wedding, house plans and other stuff, to them beinformation made redundant and big change, I've got back into a bit of painting with some plans on a sideline in painting for people and doing some classes as had many asking me.

Anyway, my first miniature in over a year was completed today, an ultramarine made from bits and the new chapter parts sprues.

Fun little project and getting my eye back in.

Name:  20160705_094904.jpg
Size:  266.9 KB

Name:  20160705_094925.jpg
Size:  233.5 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Hey! Your marine is looking great! I was wondering what your process was for making the fimo/milliput slate; did you mix the two components or did you literally stack alternating layers of fimo/milliput? Also, did you cook it and break it afterwards? Thanks!
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Blog Entries

@TheLost. Hi, Thanks for the kind words

The slate is made from thin sheets of both FIMO (Oven baked type) and standard Milliput (I use standard as it's easy to tell when it's fully mixed, as superfine white the 2 components are almost identical in colour.

Make up equal amounts of both Milliput (and same amount cut from a FIMO block) form into 2 balls once you have mixed the 2 parts of the Milliput.

Roll out the balls into 1mm-2mm thin sheets (if you do it between 2 parts of grease proof paper or silicone impregnated baking paper) to stop it sticking. If you peel off the paper and lay down the opposite direction, I.e. The thin part of the rolled out shape will now be the horizontal plane IYSWIM.

Do that a few times till its at thickness I mentioned, then slice into smaller sheets and sandwich the FIMO/Milliput with maybe 6-8 layers, then roll them together with your rolling pin etc/

Slice that sheet in half and put one part on top of the other, making sure you don't have FIMO/Milliput touching at the join.

Roll out again until you get a nice sort of ripple effect at the squashed edges.

The bake in the oven as the instructions for FIMO give (about 10 mins at 100.C I think)

Then when cool, break the sheet up with pliers etc, don't cut it with a knife as you want rough breaks.

It takes a few goes but you get a nice tub of 'slate'

Hope that helps.

Oooooo, thanks, Rick. That stuff looks very nice. I'll definitely give it a crack.
    Nice job on the marine, by the way! I know you said you're finished, but I might stipple a final highlight on that helmet crest.