Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick's WIP Thread

I'm actually a man! Rose Model Art's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks @Dragonsreach

Its that old story, you are only as lucky as the work you put in and I know that they look at everything, none of this, 'painting the bits they can see' rubbish

The main problem now is that GTA 5 is out and carjacking eats into painting time.

oh nooooo... stop playing and start painting, plenty of time after gd!

honestly they dont look at everything. in deutschland they spent in average 15 sec per model in the finalist cabinet, and in uk the amount of minis is doubled several times. no way judges going to have time to check under every armpit or loincloth of every mini. that said, if they actually do and you done something poor its in the can.

Blog Entries

That's the thinking, if I get to the finalist table its the diff between a finalist pin with the rest, or something bit more exclusive

Only bit that brings it down is the cloak on the honour guard on the left in the images above on the base. the inner folds of the white down to the grey are a touch striated, however if you smooth them out to a lighter grey you lose the definition.

I am in 2 minds if I do something about it and maybe ruin them or leave it be...

Also GTA 5 is on hold when GF is about so I am allowed to paint when she is at mine hehe

good luck mate, and loving the stained glass
    i'd make you a sandwitch, but cannibalism is illegal in my country.
    WIP thread

Blog Entries

Well folks, pretty much done.

Got the base mounted on the plinth, edges tidied up and model bases painted black, final weathering on the base with smoke effect added to the building to give impression of fire causing some of the glass damage etc.

Lined up the 5 guys and quite happy with the look and atmosphere of the scene. Final go over and checks for nothing missed or eroneous brush strokes etc.

Fingers crossed for sunday

Name:  20130924_221724.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  292.8 KB
    Name:  20130924_221701.jpg
Size:  322.1 KB
    Name:  20130924_221734.jpg
Size:  360.8 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Best of luck, but that is pretty solid painting so you might not need much luck.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

They look great, I look forward to seeing them on Sunday.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Blog Entries

Getting excited, looking to pick up fulgrim and ferrous primarchs, emp children terminators and maybe a sicaran battle tank.....if I can justify the pennies!

Then hide it all from the Mrs in the new flat's gaming room!

Hide?! Be man! I hide mine in what she thinks are her shoe boxes in the bedroom closet...

Blog Entries

When I say hide....I mean explain that "these have been in the stash for ages, you never look at them to notice dear....now about your birthday...."

Blog Entries

Doing the final checks last night and I found I had missed the holster on the champion as some paint had come off, so lucky I saw that.

Then it was going over hands and axe hafts joins to check no erroneous brush strokes etc. Found a few, some specs of wrong colour on armour etc so sorted all of them.

Still sure it looks crap but I am always very critical and until I am as good as stuff I see on here some times I wont be happy hehe.

If I get nothing on day, I will still come away with a FW haul

Dont sweat it mate they look great. We will battle it out in the same category with my nurgle squad
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill

Blog Entries

Will have to get my guys to run across cabinet to kick in your guys lol

Blog Entries

Well it was all going so well...

All the way from aberdeen to birmingham and 2 months of work around getting ready to move house...

And as I take the figs out to give to the guy to put in cabinet, the banner comes off its pole. No biggy as I took glue, however there is no repair table this year so I have to fix it onthe floor with people standing almost on me in rush. So as iglue the banner back on a tiny drop is on my thumb as iremove my thumb it takes about a 1.5mm piece of paint of back of banner..... gutted wasnt the word.

Needless to say I didnt get first cut, now maybe I wouldnt have gotten anyway astherewere a lot of good things that didnt get either but ah well.

Good to see 10balls nurgle squad in final8sts cabinet.

Plan next year I spose

That sucks. Maybe this will make you feel better: Now it wasn't GD, but I actually once dropped a contest entry while placing it on the table and then panicked and kicked it halfway across the room while trying to cushion the landing with my foot. To this day I still twitch myself awake when I dream about that one. I was never able to bring myself to attend that contest again due to sheer embarrassment.

Sorry to hear that mate. I noticed there was no repair table this year and ive always hated that there is no table to hand the minis over. Its always clumsy and stressful.

Blog Entries

Looking at some of the pictures of the finalists in the squad group I saw these but it was at a distance, now I have seen a closer pic (attached below, The pic is taken from Tartan painting info (http://www.tartanpaint.info/category.../#.UkwJTOpwa70)

These are Nova Marines, basically a quartered version of my blue n white guys. Having a look at them, they are the same palette of colours, red\white and blue, metallic used and bases made into a scene.

The base itself is rather flat and from the pics I have seen the colours look a bit flatter than mine, specifically the reds of the material etc, the only other thing I have heard is that a squad finalist was new sternguard and that was the reason they got in....could it be this squad. Not to take anything away from the entrant getting finalist, its a nice scene, I just didn't quite get why mine simply wasn't even enough for first cut.

Makes you a bit miffed when 2 almost identical squads with what appear to be a very similar level of quality one gets finalist and the other doesn't.

I know I shouldn't get pissy, but I do wonder if that glue\paint issue I had while fixing it did ruin my chances.

hmm

Pic in question:

Name:  IMG_9645-1024x682.jpg
Size:  103.0 KB
    Last edited by Rose Model Art; 08-06-2017 at 12:16 PM.

I hate to agree with you, but yea it looks like they are there and yours arn't because they are newer models.

imo in this case i think its more luck/unluck really.

Well if I'm not mistaken those were painted by a man named SpikeyJames. His work in person is truly phenomenal. Not to diminish your own work, but from comparing the two, I'd say the base and faces let you down.
    The base especially looks rushed and has some spots where you could add detailing but didn't. Unfortunately that goes a long way in competition pieces.

His are Sons of Guilliman and can be found here.
    http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/t...-of-guilliman/
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature