Thread: Plethora of recasters?

Newbie, please be gentle jereme's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Plethora of recasters?

So I was looking for some minis, and came across a number of sites that are selling Confrontation minis: www.coolcastornot.com, www.cadwallon.com, and www.aarklash-chronicles.com. My question is how do these sites relate to Legacy Miniatures? What is interesting is that at least one of the sites also has some new models that I hadn't seen before.

As I understand it, the only authorised producer of rackham minis in the world is Legacy miniatures (ie cool mini or not.) anyone else who is casting these models is stealing, and therefore do not deserve your money. There would likely also be quality issues, but thats an assumption rather than a fact at this point. It's (barely) conceivable that one or more of those sites are selling on genuine stock second hand, but it seems highly improbable that they'd have so much of it. I reckon recasting is bad news. Best avoided.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

So I can say for sure that coolcastornot.com is chinese recasts. They also go by caomao on ebay. I bought the Dia-Bakemonos (I suck at spelling) from them even though I knew it was too good to be true. Not the worst casts but not to the standard of Rackham.
    That cadwallin.com might be selling old stock. They are out of russia so you can never be too sure. They do have a couple Tit-Na-Bor I need, so I might give it a shot. I'll tell you how it goes if I do.
    That third site seems to only be selling painted minis so I would guess they are legit... Expensive but probably legit.

Edit: There are some sellers on ebay that are still selling off old stock as well as ludik bazaar has rackham's legitimate old stock.
    Last edited by HodRod; 10-12-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Aarklash Chronicles is actually commissioning new scupts as well.

I've bought from Ludik bazaar before - pricey shipping but fast as hell. Also definitely genuine - the minis I got all came sealed in ther original packaging with cards and all that jazz. With regards to cadwallon - I remember some of those sculpts showing up in a WIP thread here on CMoN a while back. The thread was eventually locked due to the sculpts being illegal reproductions of copyrighted designs. I'm pretty sure the aarklash stuff will fall into the same category. It doesn't matter if it's a new sculpt - if it's based off a pre-existing design then it infringes on copyright (or possibly just IP - my legal terminology is ropey at the best of times). It's kind of like if I sculpted Sanguinius of the Blood Angels (and called my mini "Sanguinius of the Blood Angels") then GW could shut me down for IP infringement. Just because they haven't made a model yet doesn't mean they don't own the character Sanguinius.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Blog Entries

That's interesting, because there's quite a bit of legalese on the Aarklash site explaining how it's all their copyright. It does point out that legal matters will be handled in Hong Kong, though...

There are lots of re-caster here in China, Rackham got famous even far east.

Quote Originally Posted by boubi View Post
    There are lots of re-caster here in China, Rackham got famous even far east.
    Any worth mentioning that us westerns could get at a good price?

Blog Entries

Right or wrong, Aarklash Chronicles looks more legit than Legacy Miniatures or Confrontation: Phoenix Edition. They have a nice website, are releasing new fiction, holding a concept art contest, releasing new miniatures, and re-releasing old ones. If I were an uninformed consumer, I know where I'd put my trust (and money).

Quote Originally Posted by jereme View Post
    Right or wrong, Aarklash Chronicles looks more legit than Legacy Miniatures or Confrontation: Phoenix Edition. They have a nice website, are releasing new fiction, holding a concept art contest, releasing new miniatures, and re-releasing old ones. If I were an uninformed consumer, I know where I'd put my trust (and money).
    At first glance I didn't get that from Aarklash Chronicles. I saw painted mini's and assumed that is what they were selling, but on further exploration, I completely agree with you. They seem to be the only site and company really keeping Confrontation alive. I was very excited to see they are actively coming out with old and new minis. Really exciting stuff.

Also that fact that they are taking submissions and making minis out of some of them is completely awesome! There would be a dream come true.

Edit: Just did some looking on Dragon Painting and the consensus there is that Aarklash Chronicles is doing what they are doing illegally. Too bad, but... while I don't necessarily want to support IP infringement, it's not like the person who owns the IP is doing anything with it, so it's a though one to call. The fact that the owner of the IP is doing so little with it that they aren't shutting down the forgers, makes you wonder how wrong of a spot they are in, since there is a demand for it.
    Last edited by HodRod; 10-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Personally i tried buying some chinese recast from coolcastornot, few months back... it was dreadful! the miniatures seemed flat! as if i was looking at them cross-eyed. The metal was rubbish.

So i was more than skeptical when i found www.aarklash-chronicles.com but i tried it anyway (i wanted to buy the Thallion woman) and, i'd rather give my money for a recast than giving it away to some a-hole selling the original on eBay 10 times the price (i mean, c'mon guys! get a job, stop leeching on other people!!!)

Anyway, i tried, i took like 12 days for the package to arrive. The mini was great, nothing like the chinese stuff. I've ordered from them the same minis i previously ordered from the chinese... I'm now waiting, i'll let you know if the quality is better...

About the contest, it's great, but i draw like a 10yo so won't much use for me... unless they're ready to make stick figure miniatures...

read this for further explanation :

http://www.dragonpainting.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3511

And after a recent debate on the french side of internet and the blogosphere and a bit of investigating here's the short story :

I have to say that the french community is, alas, very inclined to support this illegal initiative being, as usual very critical and cynical regarding Legacy and all Rackham related topics. I wish they were more constructive but...

Of the debate that ensued a couple of elements were recently brought to my attention by one of this "Aarklash fan" who pretends to be in touch with the guys at Aark. Chr. :

They claim to have the support of some former Rackham employees
    They claim to be trying to get officially the licence back from Cyanide and deprive Legacy of it

Another guy who was a lot involved (and is well known) in the Rackham community pretends (on Warmania message board) he is in touch with Aarklash Chr. because Legacy didn't give him any feedback when he tried to offer them the "Conf Fede" rewamped rules and cards.
    It appears that they are trying to settle a collaboration with Aarklash Chr. to give them this material and support (rules unit cards etc...)

Dallaaas!

You know what : I'm not happy...

That's my mood today : seriously I'm fed up with this nest of vipers and tired of the soap opera

Would be cool to have someone steppin in from CmoN or Legacy at some point to clarify the situation

To sum up the rumour (which has been partially confirmed by some people) : former Rackham collaborators/employees possibly making an illegal hostile takeover against other former Rackham collaborators/employees ; discussing with former Conf Fede members to get cards and rules for their recasts and new sculpts...

Seems that the ukrainian site Cadwallon dot com is linked to legendarion which collaborates with Aarklash Chronicles / Fire Industries (fake logo) as one of their sculptors.
    Cadwallon dot com is full of GW and Forgeworld recasts as well as Rackham related recast stuff.
    Strange association....
    Last edited by Yslaire; 10-31-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Aarklash Chronicles used to post on their facebook page daily but now it's been months since they have updated facebook or their site. Anyone know why they have gone into hibernation? They had some really good concepts up and coming for the Uraken and Ophidians.
    Turning lead into gold is easy, pour it into a Rackham mold. -Mr_Maxime

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

At this point I'm 100% behind anyone who resurrects this game! and it's miniature line. I've heard no end of complaining from the people trying to cash in on eBay by selling their old collections for ridiculous prices. I bought a howling pack box from cadwallon for $45, and someone is trying to sell the same box for $150 on eBay. More power too Aarklash Chronicles for making the effort clearly lacking from CMON.

Well a week or so ago, Aarkalash Chronicle's Facebook page disappeared and now today their website is gone. I have a feeling the owners of the Rackham IP are flexing their muscles, which is fine, it's their right. I only hope it means they are about to do something. Stopping other people and not doing anything yourself sounds like a GW move.

On a side note about Aarkalash Chronicles, it's too bad that they got shut down. I understand, they were reproducing stuff from the old line, which was illegal. But, they were also doing new stuff that was of their own creation, and was pretty awesome. They had a whole line of new Samurats to put out, that were all their own. I hope they resurrect themselves with only the stuff that is theirs and don't just die out for good.
    Turning lead into gold is easy, pour it into a Rackham mold. -Mr_Maxime

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

Quote Originally Posted by HodRod View Post
    On a side note about Aarkalash Chronicles, it's too bad that they got shut down. I understand, they were reproducing stuff from the old line, which was illegal. But, they were also doing new stuff that was of their own creation, and was pretty awesome. They had a whole line of new Samurats to put out, that were all their own. I hope they resurrect themselves with only the stuff that is theirs and don't just die out for good.
    I hope too. The new goblins + griffin (inqusition figures) were good. And they even sculpted an "Inqusitor - taetrius", which was a char in the ragnarok box (highly inefficien in game, but extra inq. char nonetheless)

All,

I've just recently gotten interested in Confrontation, and would really like to buy some of the old metal minis (can't stand the PPPs). Unfortunately, not only is the Ebay selection horrifically bad, the prices are close to exthortion. FOURTY FIVE (45) freakin dollars for a single Succubus?????? Insanity! GW should look into that.... -.o

Anyway. I just discovered cadwallon.com, and was ecstatic to see how much stuff they had, and at great prices too. Then I discovered they were in the Ukraine and got a bit nervous...then I read this thread and got more concerned. As Aarklash-Chronicles is down and I don't want to order from China, can anyone offer me advice about cadwallon.com? I don't give a crap about the legality of their site (agree with others that it's the IP holders' own fault for doing nothing with the license), but that's 'assuming the quality is similar and the seller is trustworthy'. A bit like the difference between buying a high-quality burned DVD from my friend vs from a random bootlegger in NYC.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Unless of course someone can point me in the direction of an inexpensive and legit seller of old stuf...

Quote Originally Posted by Stargorger View Post
    All,

I've just recently gotten interested in Confrontation, and would really like to buy some of the old metal minis (can't stand the PPPs). Unfortunately, not only is the Ebay selection horrifically bad, the prices are close to exthortion. FOURTY FIVE (45) freakin dollars for a single Succubus?????? Insanity! GW should look into that.... -.o

Anyway. I just discovered cadwallon.com, and was ecstatic to see how much stuff they had, and at great prices too. Then I discovered they were in the Ukraine and got a bit nervous...then I read this thread and got more concerned. As Aarklash-Chronicles is down and I don't want to order from China, can anyone offer me advice about cadwallon.com? I don't give a crap about the legality of their site (agree with others that it's the IP holders' own fault for doing nothing with the license), but that's 'assuming the quality is similar and the seller is trustworthy'. A bit like the difference between buying a high-quality burned DVD from my friend vs from a random bootlegger in NYC.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Unless of course someone can point me in the direction of an inexpensive and legit seller of old stuf...
    sorry, but cadwallon.com is a recaster, but what's worse, there is a big gap in quality of their stuff compared to the originals. I ordered a templar warstaff (no idea why, I have 3 other originals) and the only Akkyshan character (there are no other sources afaik).
    On both you have a double-mouldline, the details are soft and some really small ones are missing.
    But other than that one of the only sources remaining.

alternatives... there are still some good deals at ebay or on forums in the trading areas. I'd recommend frequenting them.
    as a spam I have a few conf minis too that I'd like to sell, but nobody buys, they are:
    - TirNaBor giant for 40euro (german box)
    - Goblin Mountainbreaker for 40 euro (I think it's german edition too)
    - Mirvilis (loose, with english cards, but without light elemental or sparklings) for ... no idea 5euro?
    - Griffin Shanys the shadow (LE figure, german cards) - 30 euro (because of it's LE status, I *know* it's overpriced
    - S'ygma (ophidian mage), I'm willing to get rid of it for about 20 euro, but here a cheaper possibility can be : ludikbazar.com
    - few resin executors and an inqusitor from the box released by Legacy (current IP owner afaik)... no idea I'm willing to get rid of them cheap, as I have more than 6 executors and more than 5 inqusitors anyway (also the sword of the inq. is broken).

ohh, those reminded me: there is not a lot of conf figures there, but these 2 sites sell legal and I think cheap conf minis:
    - ludikbazar.com (french, now mostly loose/2ndhand minis, around 2008-9 I spent more than a 1000 here for official minis that fill a 64l box.
    - miniaturemarket.com ? (us), I don't know if they still have any, but worth a try)

Hi Maxxx

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Good to know about Cadwallon. Very disappointing but, I'd rather know in advance Looks like it will take much longer to get into the game then.

I am interested in Mirvilis, although reading his card I'm a bit confused as to whether I'm allowed to field him without the elemental??

I'm also interested in the executioners. (I should ask though...are these painted, unpainted, NIB, etc...?)

By forums in the trading area, you mean here right? Or is there some hidden ebay trading forum I don't know about? o.O lol

I did see those sites: miniaturemarket really only has plastics. Ludikbazar has some nice stuff but it also tends to be a bit more expensive unless I get pre-painted, which I'd rather not (unless I know it's high quality).

I just made an account on bartertown too, so I'm going to check there. Thanks again for the help.
    I'm looking to make 4 small ~200pt warbands to try the game out with my friends. I was thinking Lion, Griffin, Wolf, Dragon. I just got a cheap Syriak off ebay, and found a cheap Cynwall Nova too.

Hi,

so about cadwallon: they are certainly not top, but one of the few ways to get a hold of a rare mini. As last resort I'd use them, but only if I found no other options.

Mirvilis: he is allowed on foot (there is one profile for him), but to be honest he's not really good in a game the figure is more useful for painting.
    executioners: they are unpainted, loose. I took the minis from the Legacy box and threw the box away. I think they are in a Cynwall box right now besides the 3rd incarnation of Mira and a 3rd Shanys (this time resin) I have.

by trading forums I mean: trading area here, trading area on the wamp forum, bartertown and so on.

One more thing: here you wrote, that the minis @ ludikbazar are expensive. I don't think so, almost all are between 50%-90% off the original price. The only exception I found at quick glance was the selsym box with 8 models (20 euro for the box, that was about the original price too). + you wrote that $8 for sending a mini is too much. Well postage prices have gone through the roof. Yesterday I sent a Varghar (Wolfen) mini, postage was 5.60 euro (about 7-8$), I don't think you'll find any cheaper postage options.
    And to be honest it looks like that shipping a few figures to the US costs somewhere between $10-15 from here, so postage eats up a lot of resources.