Pin Vice

Thread: Pin Vice

Default Pin Vice

To beginners out there, I recommend getting a pin vice. £5 off ebay, x2 with a box of micro drill bits. Really handy for drilling gun barrels in them pesky marines!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Definitely seconded. Not just for drilling, but pinning. They also make great holders while painting. Mine gets LOTS of use.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

A fiver for two pin vices (with reversible collets) and with a set of HSS bits is a very good deal. Is it still available though?

Einion

This is from the same seller - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20PC-Micro...item5d34a7c68e

Ive noticed some sculpting tools in their stock also.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

That must be the single most wonderful thing I've seen today!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball
    Yeah, that's not bad but spotted this one from another seller which is much the same as first posted: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pc-Micro...item3a75974c74

For posterity: current price is £5.50 before postage.

Incidentally, for those in North America the cheapest I've seen these is 75c per piece (yes you read that right) but the website's minimum unfortunately meant you'd have to order a load of them, and a bucketload of other stuff, to really take advantage of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball
    Ive noticed some sculpting tools in their stock also.
    Yep. The sets of 12 without a case are a good price; if the P&P is £2.20 for the whole of the UK they'll work out at around the cheapest you'll see a set like this.

I periodically do price comparisons on these on Amazon.co.uk, their marketplace sellers regularly feature them; the price fluctuates but every now and then it'll drop to around a fiver delivered.

While they're probably a little crude (most of the cheaper ones are) these are a good introduction to steel sculpting tools and they don't take a huge amount of work to refine and repolish, if needed.

Einion
    Last edited by Einion; 10-17-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Yep pin vice(s) are an invaluble tool.
    But I'm finding more need to rely on my Dremel lately due to lack of available pressure from the fingers.

Ah the joys of old age.
    Still I can still "hold on target" ok, even if I did manage to drill through part of my thumbnail recently.
    The white bit thankfully, the thought of going through into the quick..............SHUDDERS
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Yep pin vice(s) are an invaluble tool.
    But I'm finding more need to rely on my Dremel lately due to lack of available pressure from the fingers.

Ah the joys of old age.
    Still I can still "hold on target" ok, even if I did manage to drill through part of my thumbnail recently.
    The white bit thankfully, the thought of going through into the quick..............SHUDDERS
    I found a (relatively) cheap chuck and use a battery powered screw driver as it turns much slower, but I do understand lack of pressure from the fingers.
    Member of the Kathryn Loch painting fanclub

I've found if you put your dremel in a stand and use a flexible hose attachment you get a lot more control when drilling.

I use a pin vice for smaller holes and when I drill into fine parts. For bigger stuff I grab my pocket drill machine from proxxon. Runs at lower RPM than a dremel and you can use it for obscure stuff like drilling holes in your walls for picture frames, bookshelf or TV screens.