Apache helicopters

Thread: Apache helicopters

Default Apache helicopters

As I work near the end of Birmingham airports runway I see aircraft landing every 3-4 mins but couldnt believe my eyes today - four Apache Helicopters one after the other just landed!

Strange but they landed like a plane would land and not straight down, anybody know why this would be?

I attach a picture from google for dramatic effect LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Easier to taxi to the hangars would be my guess. No loss of momentum.

Once saw a heli "taxi" by hovering about a foot off the ground. He was following a much larger one, so he wasn't able to go faster. Figured the pilot was bored.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Hmm dunno mate maybe strong winds, or maybe that was just as handy to land and go straight into a taxi, maybe fuel issues, i have been in overloaded helicopters where they have to taxi like planes to get extra lift in order to get airborn (wessex out of crossmaglen ended up with foliage stuck in the wheels).
    I once saw a gazel pilot fly at two feet off the ground following along the lines of a football pitch turning at right angles at every corner (backwards)
    Last edited by cassar; 10-17-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Could be a few reasons. As far as I know all helicopter pilots have to practice rolling take-offs and landings as that manner is easier on a chopper mechanically than the vertical counterpart. It also consumes a lot less fuel; so that probably has a bit to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    As I work near the end of Birmingham airports runway I see aircraft landing every 3-4 mins but couldnt believe my eyes today - four Apache Helicopters one after the other just landed!

Strange but they landed like a plane would land and not straight down, anybody know why this would be?

I attach a picture from google for dramatic effect LOL

Well those are plane/helicopter. Some have rotor than can change of angle and other have a mix of turbine and helix.

Not all helicopters can do a vertical takeoff. I remember loads of fundraising when I was little for a new air ambulance locally as the old one wasn't able to which made it a mare to land in some circumstances.

Lost in the desert ChemicalFencer's Avatar

I have been offshore once or twice (didn't have to go through the escape training this time round - being put in a model helicopter and flipped upside down and dunked in a pool is not my idea of fun!!), and they taxied during take off and landing at the airport but did a vertical landing and take off on the rigs.

A couple of reasons could be:

Showing off
    Not making other pilots jealous
    Gain some more forward momentum when taking off and more controlled landing (?)
    They would land away from areas so the downward forces would not cause damage
    Airport regulations

Never thought about the fuel to be honest - not in Qatar anyway when fuel is much much cheaper (14 to 17p per liter - please don't hate me!!!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post

SHALLOW APPROACH AND RUNNING/ROLL-ON LANDINGS

Use a Shallow Approach and Running Landing when a high-density altitude or a high gross weight condition, or some combination thereof, is such that a normal or steep approach cannot be made because of insufficient power to hover. To comphensate for this lack of power, a shallow approach and running landing makes use of effective translational lift (ETL) until surface contact is made. If flying a wheeled helicopter, you can also use a roll-on landing to minimize the effect of downwash. The glide angle for a shallow approach is approximately 5 degrees. Since the helicopter will be sliding or rolling to a stop during this maneuver, the landing area must be smooth and long enough to accomplish this task.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

ATC Instructions
    Last edited by Tercha; 10-17-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spellcheck