Kretcher WIP - Page 33
Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Kretcher WIP

Oh such nice colors man. Instant awesome. And the watering is really good.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

OOh! i like those already
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I was thinking of getting that wild elf. Sculpt looks lovely buts the cast like? Your plan sounds thorough and good ideas. I should take a leaf from your book. I rarely plan things. Sometimes not even any more than the main two colours!

Loving the guildball minis. Love that range. Bases work really well too.

Pariahrob the cast is really good on the elf, I can warmly recommend you to get one. Thanks Zab and Digga for the nice comments

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Made a small tutorial on a blogg that I have with some friends. It is an easy way to do water bases.

http://www.minipainting.se/water-tutorial/

Awesome tut kretch, thank you very much for sharing
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Very helpful tutorial. I'm interesting in watching that Elf develop. The Angel from last month is incredible!

Beautiful miniatures and palette! will save the link to water tutorial to check later
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Short update on Elf base, I have started to build the base and covered the top with milliput and now it needs to dry until tomorrow or later Then I will start to add more miliput and sculpt the form of the sand, add grass and other things.

Name:  20170110_221134.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  1,023.9 KBName:  20170110_222108.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  703.1 KB

Notice to oneself, dont use the phone camera pics without making them smaller.... right now I feel like AndyG but I cant find my crocs anyhwere...

/K

What a fellow painter worried because he can't find his crocs! I'll send you a pair!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Ohh do you have any in tiger stripes?

/K

Sorry only puke green or shit brown (or gold of course )
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Below is the post from our blogg for a step by step part 1 on the Elf. http://www.minipainting.se/arinthuil-step-step-part-1/

I am now starting the work on Arinthuil and the base that he will stand on, there is some new things for me in this project and challenges. The two biggest is the light direction and making of the base to get a realistic looking sand base.

I started out by carving/drilling out part of the wood base to get a slope on the front of the base, this since the figure will be “walking” down onto the beach. After that I added some cork and styrofoam and glued it into place to give some more height in some areas.

Next step i tape the base to protect the wood from the coming work, after that I started to put Milliput all over the base.

I then proceeded to cover all of it and used my finger with some water too make the areas smoother, not to important at this stage since I will need to add more Milliput onto the base later.

I then placed the figure onto the base to see approximately how much elevation and changes I need to do in the next step.

Next step on the base will be:

• to add more Milliput and sculpt the sand "dunes" onto the base.
    • put the grass tufts in the correct places.
    • add sand looking material onto the base.

I have also started to paint the figure, first I primed the figure then I masked all of the figure except the cloth for the figure and started to use my airbrush, sadly it is nor behaving as it should and I didn't reach a smooth transition. This made me redo the whole figure and just use grey to white transitions on the figure to continue to paint it with a normal brush instead. Since the light will come from the front of the figure, the backside will me more dark.

I then proceeded to put paint onto the figure, a bit of sketching, wet blending to get an approximate start and feel for the light setup.

I used the following colors:

After that I have started on the skin and also done some more work on the cloth areas on the figure. Below is the whole range of colors for the cloth and the starting colors for the skin.

With the added range of color i made the light situation more clear, still a lot of work do to, I have mainly worked on the lighter part and need to go back and give some more attention to the shadow on the front part. Regarding the skin it is just a base with some transition made from front to back of the figure.

That is as far I have done, next step on the figure will be to work more on shadow areas, also decide the color on the leg cloth and sketch in the light situation on legs and work more on the skin overall.
    /John

above is what happens when you paste something into here directly from the blog text becomes small and pictures uneven in size... well at least people can go to the blog if the text is to small
    http://www.minipainting.se/arinthuil-step-step-part-1/

/K

Blog post from minipainting.se is pasted in below

Revisiting the vision for Arinthui

I have now started to paint Arithuil and I am revisiting the note of the vision. I will go into detail on some of the decisions and add references to pages where I have found information/inspiration.
    In regards to create the frontal light I have used James Gurneys book color and light as a reference and found inspiration around golden hour, I have also found information on Internet. Links will be presented at the end.
    In short you can say that the light becomes more yellow/orange from the sun and the shadows become more blue/blue-grey then usually. I also have looked at reference pictures to understand the light and how it falls. This will be used both on the figure and the base to recreate the feeling of the direction of the light and colors of the light.
    With a frontal light the features of the face and other things that are hit by the direct light the shadows tend to be less defined/strong. Also shadows are cast longer, this will affect the small grass tufts and figure and shadows cast by them.
    When it comes to the figure I have made some other choices also, for example the backside I have painted in more subdued colors with some blue/purple/grey into the mixes. I am also making the paint “less” smooth, with less order to get more life into it. ( at least according to me )
    On the side of the figure I have chosen to “bend” the colors/light from the front around to the backside and added more orange/red colors into the mix that are closest to the front of the figure. This to simulate the effect of a stronger light shining around the sides of the figure. This might not be totally accurate on how light normally would behave. normally if seen from the backside in might have a edge lightning where the stronger light shines around the object. Since this is a 3D object that I am painting it wouldn’t look good if you watch it from the side. The goal is to get the correct feeling that I want to achieve.

Also one other thing that I will try out is to make the front side with smoother blends then the backside and also adding texture to the cloth and other details, the backside will not get this treatment, the backside will be “simpler” to better convey the shadow area.
    This is also done as an experiment for myself to mix different techniques and see if the result will be a good way to emphasize differences. In this case the light versus the dark side of the figure.
    Below are some pages where I have found inspiration and information, also a link to the book by James gurney. Thanks to all persons below that have posted wonderful information for others to access. I have had a lot of us of it and learning much from them.
    Inspiration/information:
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.se/200...lden-hour.html
    http://faso.com/fineartviews/30792/w...cooler-shadows

This is all very interesting! Linked info too, must save for later study. Thank you.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

I like the thought you are putting into this. A pretty awesome looking mini. Will keep watching it closely.

Got some new more guildball miniatures yesterday. So this is the result of one days painting, I guess I will need one more to finish them. they are for gaming so bit more speed on these.

Name:  guild ball group 3-1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  520.7 KB

/K

*HIGH FIVE* on the g-ball minis, look really awesome, makes me want to play and I dont even know what it is haha
    ." -Me-