Kretcher WIP - Page 12
Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Kretcher WIP

Neat figure. One I definitely had not seen before. The metal looks good so far, though with the priming it doesn't stand out very much at this point. You could probably take the contrast on the metal further darkening those shadows more, but it's a little hard to tell at this point without any other colors there. Once you get a little more done it might be easier to give some more detailed feedback.

In the meantime, if you're trying to get into the 9+ range start to think about little extras you can add. I might do some very fine freehand stripes on the engineers pants. What if the horse had glowing eyes? Should the figure be pristine and super clean or do you weather the whole thing including dust and pigments on the rider and rust on the horse? Hasslefree sells bags of gears and watch parts, could be useful for minor conversions or doing something on the base. I'm not saying you need to do any of those things, I'm just brainstorming some ideas that might give you that extra bump when it comes to the gallery votes.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the rest of this guy!

Thanks Bailey,

The metallic might need some darker colour, but as you say colours surrounding it needs too be there, In regards to freehand I am thinking to make a pattern on the back part of the horse where there is kind of a flat area. Will take the suggestion of stripes on the pants, that sounds nice. Glowing eyes...Perhaps, not sure yet but probably it will be glowing eyes...

Before I go further I will make a more detailed plan on what I do want too achieve on what parts and think it all together so that it fits and becomes a good balance.

Thanks for making me think one more time about things Much appriciated.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Blog Entries

8.5!!!

WooHoo! I am on the quest for a "9" now too. I htink we need to start adding banners. Banners with pictures of naked women. Pretty sure that is the recipe for a "9" lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Demihuman View Post
    8.5!!!

WooHoo! I am on the quest for a "9" now too. I htink we need to start adding banners. Banners with pictures of naked women. Pretty sure that is the recipe for a "9" lol!
    Yeap more naked lady's on banners... just that the.. you know who wouldn´t agree and I do like too sleep in the bed...but I do want my grade to get closer to 9.0 hmm what is most important in life, have to give it some thought.

CONAN! What is best in life?
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Oh oh oh I know this one its sort of in latin on my signature "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Ha! AndyG takes the lead with 3 points.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Hehehe

And Kretcher, great stuff, man.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

hi all, been busy this summer with a lot of things and none of it being painting minatures. Started up again 3 days ago and have some things to share. Still working on that mechanical steed bit also trying to make something for the Hasselfree competition over at WAMP. (not to serious thou since my time is limited but I think that I should finally do compete shomwhere )

Also is there any friendly competition by Andy and Ten ball ongoing? I really would love ot join one of those again

Name:  horse 1.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  207.0 KBName:  horse 2.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  190.3 KBName:  Face 1.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  174.9 KB

Name:  Hasselfree front.jpg
Size:  222.5 KBName:  Hasselfree back.jpg
Size:  255.7 KB

The dude with the crazy monocle looks ready to commit some mad science! And the "eyes" on that gasmask are really pretty, liking the vivid color choice for a postapocalyptic-ish mini.

Oooo nice start on the face of that moustache fellow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    CMON! What is best in life?
    Fixed that for you

Thanks for comments, have started on the base. My biggest base yet to the smallest figure I have painted pictures will come in a day or two.

Small update, have done a ruff start on the base. It should have some smaller green stuff and also water later on. the setting should be someone that newly arrived into a VR area and the black part should be the transition area from reality.

There will be some kind of sign in that area explaining that part in a sense.

Thoughts about compsition so far would be appriciated. havent done something with this big a base before, also used another clay this time and I can see fingerprints... NOT good. will have too do something about that.

Name:  Release base-3246.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  324.0 KB

For the moment I am working on that Rose figure and the "crasy mad scientiest" is waiting in the drawer for the moment. Here are some updates. I am done with all except skin, socks and shoes. Not entirely happy with the rest thou so if you have any suggestions now is the time

at the moment my eyes are pointing in different directions, this mini is just so small and my eyes are old.

Name:  Rose front 2-3271.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  199.2 KBName:  Rose back 2-3262.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  211.9 KB

Blog Entries

Whoa! That base is looking really cool. Is it just going to be the little girl? I know folks want to have the base fit the mini, but I love that you can create a sense of vastness in about 5" x 6". It's too tempting not to play with.

The mini looks fine to me. Maybe try and put a very very small amount of the purple into the bottom of her lenses? Or just focus on the base. You might have some more ideas about her PJ when you get further along with it.

The flowers on the dress are a nice touch. You may proceed! Lol

Yes Demi it will just be the girl... well a sign in the background also that is big and will take up space at the back edge.

During the friendly competition that Andy G and Ten Ball arranged earlier this year with the orc shaman piece I got questions regarding how I did the water (Would love to have one more of those competitions). I have finally gotten around to make a tutorial for that, the summer have been a painting free time and a lot of other stuff too do. Now on to the tutorial enough chit chat man

Name:  Orc shaman klar 1-2510.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  270.9 KB

http://www.coolminiornot.com/360554

the water I have done I have been using vallejo water effects. Its not floating and you don't get an flat surface and I have not succeeded to do thicker layers with it. That said when I start a base with water I do paint the water first in the colours that I want to use. I have used turquoise, blue and green to create different depths in the water. In this example I tried to create ledges in the water also, that didnt work out and I will come back to why later in the tutorial.

Name:  vatten bas 1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  308.1 KBName:  vatten bas 2.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  342.1 KB

After that I started to apply one layer at the time to build up some thickness, you have to make sure that it gets enough time in between so that it dries before you apply the next layer. I have used approximately 3 to 4 layers to reach the following stage.

Name:  vatten bas 3.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  282.4 KB

I then proceeded to paint very carefully with some white (thin layers) to make the water that are higher stick out some more and see the beginning of foaming water. In the picture above there are some grey areas that is water effect that is not yet dry. (wait for around 24 hours for it to dry)
    After this I added even higher parts of water effect closer to the shore and also to make some of the waves bigger that is in the middle of the water area, I then proceeded to paint them with more white to get the effect of foam and create some more life to the water.

Also the different ledges that I painted before have disappeared, this since the water effects is not flat and therefore just the colours are visible through the "structured" water area. So mainly for the first painting you just need to paint the colours from light to dark and you don't need to be to pick about the result since it will be "blended" by the usage of the water effects. Just to create lighter areas for more shallow water and darker areas for deeper water.

Below is the finished result of the water:

Name:  vatten bas 5.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  479.7 KB

If something is unclear or you have any question please let me know and I will try to answer them.

/Kretcher
    Last edited by Kretcher; 10-02-2014 at 02:48 PM.