Kretcher WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kretcher WIP

Loving that Orc! Skin tones look fab and the coat looks sweet too. Eager to see it all finished and assembled.
    Being fairly new to the painting community I was wondering why you have decided to use WN Artist Acrylics rather than the more traditional GW, Reaper, P3 and so on?

I do have gw, p3 and master pain and vallejo air and so on. Just wanted to test some difrent things, the orc is painted with "traditional" colours such as GW.

Just wanted to test diffrences how the paint behaves and so on. I do like the artist colours also. They do behave a little bit diffrent and I need a little bit more to get used to them.

/Kretcher

Quote Originally Posted by Kretcher View Post
    I do have gw, p3 and master pain and vallejo air and so on. Just wanted to test some difrent things, the orc is painted with "traditional" colours such as GW.

Just wanted to test diffrences how the paint behaves and so on. I do like the artist colours also. They do behave a little bit diffrent and I need a little bit more to get used to them.

/Kretcher
    Ah ok, thanks I had only used GW stuff till recently so good to find out about all the other options open to me, Still trying to find my own style so I like to experiment at the moment so may be something i'll give a go.
    Thanks again dude and keep up the good work

hey John, if you have any plans for a car-ride to GD germany ill be happy to join, as i for sure will be there this year too. chrome too, probably! non stop miniature action weekend! lol

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    hey John, if you have any plans for a car-ride to GD germany ill be happy to join, as i for sure will be there this year too. chrome too, probably! non stop miniature action weekend! lol
    Well if we are more ppl going by car that might be the way to go then.

/Kretcher

Update on the orc, have started the sword and when I didn´t have the patience to continue with that anymore I continued to do more on the face and hat.

All feedback is very much appricated.

Name:  Orc weapon-1.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  Orc Head-1.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  113.5 KB

I am going to try to reach an 8 with this figure, that is atleast the goal. We will see if I make it. Some parts of the painting is stil lruff but as always please comment and give suggestions.

/Kretcher

i say, add a littlebit more contrast overall. especially the face as it should be focal point, which is probably even more important painting ork as they usually are swamped in details. i usually end up as far as using glaces of white colors as end highlight on faces. that said, i still think its a really sweet job so far, great variations of the skincolor.

metal also need way more contrast, you got that vmc metal medium right?

good advice, orks do have lots of details so the face needs to stand out. As Skel says you can go up to white but dont jump to soon or you will lose all the midtones.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    i say, add a littlebit more contrast overall. especially the face as it should be focal point, which is probably even more important painting ork as they usually are swamped in details. i usually end up as far as using glaces of white colors as end highlight on faces. that said, i still think its a really sweet job so far, great variations of the skincolor.

metal also need way more contrast, you got that vmc metal medium right?
    Nice tip with the going all the way to white.

Thanks for advice, will come back with an update, hopefully later today or tommorow

Update on Orc, head, have added some hihlights and also made a better jpg export. Picture is lighter and actually it is very hard to get it too look like in real life... Eye still dont show as much clarity as in raw format... Will go back a little with the pinkish skin tone in some places, it is not strong enough now...

Name:  DSC_1735.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  461.7 KB

/Kretcher

Well since I always do more then one figure at a time... and not always finishing them. Why break a tradition. Will paint one or two figures for a figure contest coming up next month. So there will be malifaux figures that I do need to paint for gaming that will be under the brush.

If there is time I will do a small diorama for them. First pictures and after that explanation of diorama.

Name:  Gremlin 1.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  106.4 KB
    Name:  Colette 1.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  147.7 KB

btw if anyone have any good thougts of colour scheme to the girl please drop a message regarding that.

The diorma is in my mind that the Bayou gremlin is out scouting, since he have the gear for it. He is disobeing Ophelia by using his time to go look for long leged girls, He do like Ohpelia but nothing goes up to these legs that are in his sight just now.

Gremlin will be on the left side on a "hill/stone with some small bushes, then there will be kind of a ravine/crack to signify a distance and then Colette standing on a porch? or just on a cobblestone street or something. Suggestions are welcomed.

Need to create some bushes, anyone that have a good place to look how to do thoose kind of stuff? This is the first time I am thinking to do a small diorama and some more serious basing attempt.

/Kretcher
    Last edited by Kretcher; 01-24-2013 at 03:11 PM.

OK here goes a bad photo, but need help with the face. I belive that main problem is eyes are to undefined. My thoughts are try to get some blck nto the pupil and somehow sharper lines arouund the eyes. Just so F**king tiny area on this model.

Anyone ANYONE that have any suggestion how to proceed without destroying everything?

Name:  Face Colette.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  72.1 KB

Good question. It's going to be hard working around already finished eyes. I definitely blacked out the eye sockets on Taelor. Yeah, it might look a little overdone, but it helps get that contrast.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Kretcher View Post
    OK here goes a bad photo, but need help with the face. I belive that main problem is eyes are to undefined. My thoughts are try to get some blck nto the pupil and somehow sharper lines arouund the eyes. Just so F**king tiny area on this model.

Anyone ANYONE that have any suggestion how to proceed without destroying everything?

Name:  Face Colette.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  72.1 KB
    Hey fella, I'm no pro painter and so i'm not 100% that this will work but you could try using a 'colder' skin tone around the eye to create the illusion of definition around the eye without it actually being present in the sculpt. This combined with the warmer tones used to highlight the cheeks should help create a more defined eye. I think. As I say i'm no paint genius and so maybe someone here with a bit more skill could chip in with more details on the actual painting side of things but the theory at least is solid
    Bit vague I know but I hope that helps in some way

Some work done on the skin of the Gremlin, I will add more glazes to the shadows, with a mix of some brown and some purple areas to get more interest into the skin. and also perhaps highlight some of the lighter areas a little bit more. Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Name:  Gremlin skin 1.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  194.6 KB
    Name:  Gremlin skin 2.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  256.9 KB

Also on the list of doing things is to take some pictures in Daylight, just that I am not usually home in time to be able to do that. To many dark hours during winter up here in Sweden.

/Kretcher

Have tried to save the face of Colette and the eye that didn´t look good. I have a hard time with this face, partly of the tiny detail of the eyes. Also due to my choice for a fair/rosy skin. very light skined girl. Not used to this.

Guess I should ask Milosh regarding this since he is something of an fan of painted girls...

Will somhow go over with some glazes to make the transitions less noticible in some areas, other then that I am decently happy with the face as it is. If you don´t agree or see areas for improvemnt please let me know.

Name:  Colette face 2.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  178.1 KB

/Kretcher

The eyes look a lot better. Is that a strong shadow you rendered or are you getting additional shadow from the lighting?

Some additional lights from lightning, but that area have a more turquiose colour as an eye shadow there, that is not visiable in this picture. I will se perhaps I will make it more darker to be more true to this picture. Need some decent daylight to get some better (or worse) pictures

/Kretcher

she's looking good, the eyes are much better. skin tone is nice also.