Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Kretcher WIP

Congratulations on your first prize! and I very much like your last paintjob, it has a great mood/aura in it.
    Feel free to come by my WIP or have a look into my Gallery
    Voted on 5377 out of 235568 minis, and also left 847 comments on Cmon Gallery.

relaxation project done

Name:  t klar.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  43.2 KB

Not the best picture, taken with my phone...

/K
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

nice work. Just for fun is great for trying out new ideas and enjoying the process
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Looks cool kretcher!

I have finally finished all the step by step guides on Arinthuil and will paste them in here. Or you can go to www.minipainting.se to read them directly there.

Arinthuil step by step part 2

This part of the step by step will be focusing more on the skin areas and the beginning of the cloth around the legs. The base will be covered in a separate step by step.
    After starting with the skin I realized that in some lights that is not my painting light it looked dull and boring, so I decide to make changes to it. I started to use the airbrush to spray a very light skin color from the direction that the light is coming from. from the frontal side of the figure.

Next step I used some different color to bring more life into the skin. I have used Goldens heavy body colors, I started to mix the yellow, red and some green into a mix to get close to raw umber color that i used for a base color for the skin

Using that mix I then added white, red and yellow to get the different lighter skin tones. Also brought some more red glazes into the darker frontal skin areas.
    This has also brought me closer to my original vision to introduced a warmer hue tone into the lighter areas, also the tonal range has been expanded with more reds in the middle areas and that helps the overall feeling.
    This has brought more life into the skin and it also works in different light situations. It is always good to look at what you are doing from time to time under different light situations to get a feeling how it will look.

In regards to the red cloth I have added a mix of red and yellow golden colors and used a stronger glaze of orange on some parts of the red to give the feeling of a rising sun that hits parts of the cloth. In regards to the leggings I have used a greener tone mixed from the golden colors. In lighter areas I have used a more yellowish green.

In the shadows I have added more of the blue and on the backside it is almost going to a darker purple kind of color. I have also added some small areas with red glazes. this is still very much a work in progress area.
    I also stared the hair part to frame the face more and get a better overall feeling of that area.

The face area I have started to work on some of the details at the same time I started to work on the hair to define it more. Will go back later then I am getting to finish my model to make the last changes to make it harmonize with the rest.
    As said before next step is to start on the base to fit it into the same feeling and then go back to the figure again. I have realized that I like to jump around while painting and not doing the same area for a long long time. Also I seem to not touch some areas, like the feet at the moment just have a basic skin color. but I do want to see how the base turns out and get the felling later on that they belong together and the figure “belongs” to the base.

If anyone out there have any suggestions or thoughts regarding my work you are welcomed to give comments. It can be both regarding my writing or the result of the painting. I am after all doing this to improve myself and inspire others.
    Arinthuil step by step part 3

Next step I started to work on the metallic and the brown leather parts, i decided to use true metallic on this figure. I used Scale 75 Heavy metal and black metal as a base for the metals.

I also worked more on the bandages around the leg to give it more of a worn look on the front of the leg. Adding glazes of different colors from red, green and yellow.
    I have also continued the work on the base adding more warm colors to it, (will be more specific in the part covering the base.). Doing that work I realized that I need even more light on to the red cloth. I did go back with some stronger oranges and very light skin colors. That I later used a very light glaze to tone them down and make them part of the overall feeling of the cloth.
    Also in the metallic I used a lot of goldens high flow colors to make glazes to make areas more dark and also to get a lot of color variations, this since metallic reflects a lot of the areas around them and also should be warmer in some areas to give the feeling of the sun shining on them. I mostly used red, orange, yellow but also some green, darker blue and black in the shadow areas.

Final touch ups where made on his face, leather and feet. On the feet I made them much darker to belong more to the base also made them more “dirty”.
    Also added more shadows to the backside of the grass and base to give even more feeling of light coming from the front,
    Final words, I have learned a lot making this model come to life, also by writing this step by step I have realized and probably you also that I take way to little pictures to explain all the steps. I will take that with me and on my next bigger project I will take even more pictures to be able to show the progress more.
    Been fantastically fun to do this and hope someone else will have use of it. At least I have had help by doing this writing it gave me more focus and clear goals during the progress and I like the final results.
    Time to put this figure to rest soon, need to take some final pictures of him and write the step by step part of the base.

Base for Arinthuil

Actually when the competition for the hobby hangout was announced I decided that finally this elf was going to be painted. But no clue on what I should do. One thing was that I should tell a story with him and make a bit bigger base since i mostly haven’t done that before and I needed to try that more.

I found this wooden piece laying around in my garage, probably from my parents and thought I will us this. After some time I thought that I will do a beach area and he is coming down from the more grassy area out on the beach.

I started by looking at pictures from real beaches to get a better idea of what I am looking for. After looking at pictures I had an idea to have some areas that are higher with some grass and a sloop that he goes down. I started to remove some wood to make the lower area and used some cork and other materials to build up the higher areas.

I then proceeded to cover the whole area with milliput and make a basic shape of what i wanted.

Next step I fitted the figure to the base and made smaller changes to it so that the pose became correct on the base and the vision I had

I then proceeded to Test how to make the grass and incorporate it on the base (No pictures) and I decided to use hemp rope to make the grass and incorporate it into the milliput and let it dry and then add it on top of the already sculpted base. This gave some nice separation of the grass and it looks more naturally growing out of the ground. There are some parts that became harder by me doing it this way but more on that later.

I also added more milliiput at this stage to make the feet and balance of the figure to become correct.

IN the next step I added some sand fine graded that I bought from a Zoo shop. Very small grains and extremely good price compared to hobby materials.

I then proceeded to color it with washes of a light sand color to give it a base color. I also started to add in the shadow areas to give a feeling of what I wanted. I also started to color the grass with some washes of green to give more life to it and at some places let the hemp base color to shine through to give more life to it. I then proceeded to add dark blue into the grass on the shadow areas.

The sand still felt to flat and I wanted warmer colors on the front and I started to use pigments and chalk to add color variations and warmth to the overall base. Making it belong to the figure more then it had before.
    I also trimmed the grass and made it less tall then it was from the start, do not remember where in the progress i did it so adding the information here.

Final words a lesson learned. When I did the grass and incorporated it directly into the milliput it became very nice looking but very hard to paint the inner parts of the ground since there was a lot of grass in the way and became hard to reach. i will use this method more times but need to think of a good solution for how to paint the ground inside the grass tufts.
    Thanks everybody that have taken the time to read this, hope it can be of some help.

That is it the final write up on the Elf.

Nice write up, i found the base construction was particularly interesting

Using washes on the part inside the grass. put a drop next to it and see if it will be sucked up into the base of the grass by capillary action
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Really interesting approach to the grass, Kretcher. I shall have to experiment with that approach!

Thank you for sharing this detailed process.
    An idea for the grass is to tint it before laying it in place, but Zab's idea looks like a clever thing to try...

Thanks all for the good suggestions and comments, not been so active in here lately. I have finally started a new project and I am on my third day (not so many hours) painting it and wanted to share it with you all. Below are two smaller pics and one well bigger one where you see a bit to much but nice to get an understanding of colours used.
    Name:  Day 3 face 2.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  264.9 KBName:  Day 3 face.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  286.1 KB
    Name:  Day 3 face original size_1.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  351.9 KB

/K

Some pics taken in daylight to give a better view of the colors in the face and to show that the blends are a bit rough, but I will leave it like that for the skin, kind of likes it i do

Name:  Face daylight 1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  430.6 KBName:  Face daylight 2.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  394.2 KBName:  Face daylight 3.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  367.0 KB

Well update, have decided to change light situation on the figure so now all looks well different. need to fix the light on the armor to be correct also... fun to experiment and just try things out.

I guess this model really will look like shit when "I am done with it" in any case really fun to try some osl lights on him since I always thought it to be difficult.

Name:  Face daylight 7.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  268.5 KB

Cool bust. That detailed hair should be fun to paint the light on, picking up little glints & such.

Hi long time without any updates, I do paint but not so much at the moment. But below are some pictures of things that I am currently working on from time to time... it is summer and well doing other things. Looking forward to the Dogma 48 event that i will attend in Copenhagen in August that will be 48 hours of great painting.

Name:  19807564_1547273595317162_1913743388_o.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  216.7 KB

/K

Nice to hear from you. Your latest pieces look promising. Nice contrast on both.

Good to see your still painting mate
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Still painting stuff, just not so active here at the moment. mostly due to painting walls and fixing basement with my house and summertime. will get some serious painting going soon since I will start painting Black Betty with some friends that also where lucky to get a copy. Also done some more on Konrad, bad phone pics thou but still progress

Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  58.2 KBName:  pic2.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  45.8 KBName:  pic 3.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  52.6 KB

/K