Games Workshop unveils "The Hobbit" - thoughts and first impressions.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Games Workshop unveils "The Hobbit" - thoughts and first impressions.

Default Games Workshop unveils "The Hobbit" - thoughts and first impressions.

OK, so first, check the link HERE

Then leave your comments.

My own opinion is more or less that which I have felt and thought about GW for a while now. OK, these models are very lovely, I would be happy to own them all, I really like the new characters and the new models of characters we know and love, the new mutated goblins are pretty darn cool, the paint jobs from 'Eavy Metal' are fantastic, and the prices are simply astronomical. I cannot believe the price of the Bundle, the White council, the Trolls and the Goblin Town scenery. Seems just absurd to me.

What do you guys think?

So what do you do with a lactating cash cow?

MILK IT
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 11-24-2012 at 04:07 AM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I'm more appalled with with WETA's designs......the goblin look like they been dipped in acid and are melting away, the goblin king.....is obviously related to nurgle in some way.

They,very changed the look of the Wargs (why?), and the trolls have been changed into giant mutants............and WTF is going on with everything being a sickly pale white.

Can't comment on GW pricing same old bullshit that comes from that company now.

di_n_o

wow talk about absurd pricing! and yes, wtf is with those goblins??? perhaps thats the ways they will look in the movie?

Just watched the movie trailer with a closer eye and the trolls and goblins are not far off from the movie I'm afraid. Not saying they are exact copies either. At least some of the dwarf sculpts have extra character to them, I'm guessing we will be seeing some of them win the slayer awards.
    Not crazy about the stuff, BUT if it gets more people into the hobby I would welcome them and convert those newcomers into privateer press or malifaux fans, or maybe zombicide and sedition wars.
    $85 for the rule book is a shame though.

had a quick shufty around the net and yep thems the goblins in the movie tragic, just a case of hype fever, personally i would have expected the same type of orc as in the Ring movies but that would have closed the door on a lucrative business aspect for them "bring on the milk cow" lol
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

Absolute cack, you can see where the digital models have been simplified and mashed to reduce components and number of sprues to cut costs. They then are cheeky enough to slap a hobbit tax on top, the scenery pack is ridiculous, 75% more expensive than a comparable cities of death scenery pack. Lots of recent releases have seen a reduction in quality and an increase in price. I'm not playing that game.

have a look at trailers please. everything looks just like it does in the movies. blame jackson, not gw for looks.

on the other hand, prices are sick, i wont sponsor gw on this one. may pick me up a radagast model off ebay though=)

The Ferengi are asking only $35 for a goblin captain, in Finecrap no less?! What a barg...

Nope, couldn't finish that sentence. And somehow I feel the Ferengi would be shaking their heads at this attempt at profit. Not to say they wouldn't close the deal, but wouldn't have thought a customer would be so willing to have their wallets bleed like this.

And would I be an absolute crazed fanatic of The Hobbit, that full set price would buy so much better things. I'd wager I could get an actual on-film-used hobbit foot for less.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Sigh why do we even bother to look at GW finecast any more? Despite protestations and fan boys it's got no better either in quality or cost. We should just automatically consign it to the metaphorical bin. To be fair some of the plastic models they've produced have been of a very good quality but finecrap is just that!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

The finecrap is just a stop gap till everything can be made in plastic

If you could get hold of the trolls and gobbos, cheap, they'd make great convo fodder for sci fi mutants
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Being on the other side of the fence I can't comment on a lot but some of these assumptions are absolute bull. The hobbit box figures are super nice and were fun to paint, the set itself is good value I would say especially when I compare it to what I would have to pay for some other companies stuff thats often not even half as good. As for copies of nurgle and simplified movie models thats a load of codswallop! Half the time sculptors and painters were struggling to work without reference and with tight deadlines. Im pretty damn proud of what we managed to make of the Hobbit so far.

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

I'm sorry to say but opinions may vary, unfortunately for GW the opinion in the majority is that these are crap and overpriced. Ever since the necron release the quality of sculpts have fallen. As far as the paint jobs go I can't tell weather it's the poor photography in the new style WD or the paint job itself but a lot of the minis look as though they have been dipped and not had a coat of dullcote.

You might disagree with this and I respect your right to do so, but you are in a good position to report feedback from the unwashed masses and I suggest you do so.

Edit: I also sympathise if there was insufficient time and reference material as that sounds to be a very poor environment to work in.

I wasn't saying GW made the sculpts look like nurgle, I'm saying PJ has made some terrible choices in creature design.

As for price £20 for 18 non-multipart models made of plastic is expensive. Multi-part I could say fair price.

Sorry to say I'm not the only one who has had serious problems with GW. We are on the whole hobbyists on this site and paint all sorts of different miniature companies products so we get a good chance to contrast and compare.

To be fair as I said there have been some very good plastic minis of late some of the dark vengeance boxed set have been fantastic and have been good value for money.

But and this is a big but the quality of the finecast I have bought has been truly dreadful. It looks like its been attacked by rabid moths. It's fragile and don't get me started at the price of the stuff considering the hugely reduced shipment costs with the reduced weight and material costs. This hast been a one off I sent the green knight (vastly inflated in price from the metal minis cost it was about eight pounds dearer) back FIVE TIMES! Until I gave up and got a second hand one off eBay.

It's not that we hate GW it's that we on the whole loved GW, it brought us into the hobby but we feel let down by the current batch of overpriced badly QC finecrap. And to be told that this stuff is the wonder material of the next generation is laughable!

Now this is in no way a personal attack on you and let me reiterate the fact that I personally love the world of WH and WH 40k and must own a ton of lead from GW. But if the current product isn't what we want then as a forum based discussion your going to hear this kind of stuff. Sorry if I've upset you that most definitely wasn't the intention.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

I think the prices are stupidly high.....what are GW thinking.

And i think the designs are piss poor ugly. The goblins are horridly designed, the king is the worst badguy ever, and the trolls just kiddish and in no way imposing.

The dwarves just look like short dudes and in no way dwarven enough.

This what happens when you take what is basically a childrens book and try to shoehorn in into a 3 movie adult franchise.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Scream View Post
    Being on the other side of the fence I can't comment on a lot but some of these assumptions are absolute bull. The hobbit box figures are super nice and were fun to paint, the set itself is good value I would say especially when I compare it to what I would have to pay for some other companies stuff thats often not even half as good. As for copies of nurgle and simplified movie models thats a load of codswallop! Half the time sculptors and painters were struggling to work without reference and with tight deadlines. Im pretty damn proud of what we managed to make of the Hobbit so far.

Proud of overpriced products....really??

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    had a quick shufty around the net and yep thems the goblins in the movie tragic, just a case of hype fever, personally i would have expected the same type of orc as in the Ring movies but that would have closed the door on a lucrative business aspect for them "bring on the milk cow" lol
    And "scenery" is too be taken lightly. A smattering of cocktail sticks, string and toothpicks painted brown.

Blog Entries

The goblins and trolls look awful. I don't like them. The dwarves, Gandalf and Bilbo look very much like the pictures of the actors in costume and makeup. I choked when I saw a $745 price tag. Throw in a mega paint set for that $745 and I might consider it.
    Last edited by Bloodhowl; 11-24-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – The Ultimate Bundle Price: $1,240.00 (AU)
    Please note that this product is limited to one per customer order.
    Thats a shame I wanted a dozen
    I think I will still stick to napoleonic's, I think I can do at least an army corps for that price in 28mm (sculpted by the perry bros and similar)