Games Workshop unveils "The Hobbit" - thoughts and first impressions. - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Games Workshop unveils "The Hobbit" - thoughts and first impressions.

I think that the game looks like a pretty good set. The forces of good have a mixed range of characterful models and I am quite taken with the way they have done Radagast. Less keen on the goblins (although the king's quite cool) but this is obviously down to the aesthetic of the upcoming film, not the fault of GW's designers. The scenery is a good addition to make it a complete starter set too.

It's most likely not something I'll be buying, but that's based on the fact that LoTR minis have never really done it for me. They feel a bit restricted compared to the world of possibility in 40k and Warhammer.

I'm not the sort to get massively bothered about prices. If I want it I'm not going to be fussed about paying £20 for 18 plastic goblins, regardless of how many parts they may have. I don't want them, but that's beyond the point! Plastic pricing seems ok.

I certainly won't pay £50 for those ugly trolls or £45 for 4 standard models, I'm not sure too many will. The cost is right up at the higher end of the model world and I don't think you quite get the bespoke quality you should for what you have to pay, but Finecast is improved from what it was. Just about acceptable now though rather than pristine resin casting. But it's a stopgap until things go all plastic in a few years so I can just skip it until then unless a sculpt is seriously desirable. Which none of these are. There's nothing here making me feel a massive level of desire. I'm guessing the creature designs look better in film form than they do in mini form. Hope so anyway.

I certainly feel sorry for people in other countries like Australia as the pricing of these is insane. But, at least it makes the buying decision easier. eBay or other companies!

I don't think that the Hobbit range is going to boost GW's shares in quite the same way as LoTR did.

Follow Infamy Miniatures on facebook and twitter

Mr Scream, you obviously work with or are affiliated with the GW, so to expect yourself to sound unbiased is impossible. I actually didn't read any of the previous comments as being assumptions. Rather they are all opinions, that you didn't like hearing. Also, other companies are almost always better and cheaper, unless you care to give examples.
    Finally, WETA and GW share a lot of source materials and there is never any issue with Games Workshop not having enough reference to base a sculpt on. I personally don't mind any of the minis, as stated in the original post, but the prices are ridiculous, and that is not an assumption. That is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    ............the prices are ridiculous, and that is not an assumption. That is fact.
    Absolutely! They could have gouged considerably more from the teenage dady pays for it all mark up some more to sell to the southern hemisphere market!!! Lol
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

I think the gandalf and main characters look good.
    (please don't stone me, I've got a family)
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    I think the gandalf and main characters look good.
    (please don't stone me, I've got a family)

We would never do that....hang you up by your testies untill you change your mind, that is fair game....
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

I like the Dwarves, I may pick them up down the line somewhere just to paint up. The goblins leave me a bit meh. Gamesworkshop is expensive but I think those of us who still get stuff from them are just kindof used to the abuse by now.

That said I'm building a full 3000pt heresy army from Forgeworld so I'm hardly one to comment on price per model...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Scream View Post
    Being on the other side of the fence I can't comment on a lot but some of these assumptions are absolute bull. The hobbit box figures are super nice and were fun to paint, the set itself is good value I would say especially when I compare it to what I would have to pay for some other companies stuff thats often not even half as good. As for copies of nurgle and simplified movie models thats a load of codswallop! Half the time sculptors and painters were struggling to work without reference and with tight deadlines. Im pretty damn proud of what we managed to make of the Hobbit so far.
    I think its rather brave of Dave to stick his head above the parapet on this, but in terms of model painters and collectors I have to disagree with his viewpoint. Hopefully Dave will return to read this comment an pass some feedback to GW's isolated upper echelon, but I doubt that it will have any effect.

In essense GW has completely decided to ignore a large part of the hobby community to concentrate on a single target demographic (teenagers) with limited knowledge of the hobby market or discernment about cost value.
    Painters and modellers who are not gamers still hold a purchasing power but their discernment capability means that they want to "Cherry pick" their purchases, not be drawn in by hyperbole over the latest "Bright new thing in the limited market place".
    Their Discernment also means that they want a quality product, Not one where you have to return goods "Not Fit For Purpose" 5 times and then give up and request refunds.

As for the "Better than other manufacturers" comment, I'm sorry Dave but that doesn't wash, especially on a forum where so many high quality models are discussed. As an example Reaper miniatures often commission Werner Klocke to Sculpt figures for them and the results are what you would expect from someone who not only has won several slayer swords but runs his own very successful business. Oh and guess what the prices are well below GW's by a factor of 50 - 75 %.

As a former customer of GW who has spent easily in the thousands of pounds over the years I feel betrayed and alienated by GW's continued treatment of its customers as CASH COWS, which is why I along with so many others no longer subscribe to the Games Workshop Propaganda of its own (self deluding) excellence, or are willing to be docile about our purchases or our criticisms.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    I think its rather brave of Dave to stick his head above the parapet on this, but in terms of model painters and collectors I have to disagree with his viewpoint. Hopefully Dave will return to read this comment an pass some feedback to GW's isolated upper echelon, but I doubt that it will have any effect.

In essense GW has completely decided to ignore a large part of the hobby community to concentrate on a single target demographic (teenagers) with limited knowledge of the hobby market or discernment about cost value.
    Painters and modellers who are not gamers still hold a purchasing power but their discernment capability means that they want to "Cherry pick" their purchases, not be drawn in by hyperbole over the latest "Bright new thing in the limited market place".
    Their Discernment also means that they want a quality product, Not one where you have to return goods "Not Fit For Purpose" 5 times and then give up and request refunds.

As for the "Better than other manufacturers" comment, I'm sorry Dave but that doesn't wash, especially on a forum where so many high quality models are discussed. As an example Reaper miniatures often commission Werner Klocke to Sculpt figures for them and the results are what you would expect from someone who not only has won several slayer swords but runs his own very successful business. Oh and guess what the prices are well below GW's by a factor of 50 - 75 %.

As a former customer of GW who has spent easily in the thousands of pounds over the years I feel betrayed and alienated by GW's continued treatment of its customers as CASH COWS, which is why I along with so many others no longer subscribe to the Games Workshop Propaganda of its own (self deluding) excellence, or are willing to be docile about our purchases or our criticisms.

This, soooooi much I'll have it framed, giftwrapped and delivered to my local GW, that has just reduced its opening hours considerably AND charge for bags that were free a few days ago.

And delivered to my local games store, one of the oldest in the world that recently god fed up with GW's buisness practices and very low profit margin(stupidly low)!! And quit selling GW products, and havnt felt a dip in sales, but a boost bow that they stock loads of other stuff.

Just in time for Christmas. Phew ~ I was gonna ask Santa for a "made in USA" black Fender Stratocaster with white pick guard, however "The Unexpected Journey - Ultimate Bundle" looks to be a slightly more attractive stocking stuffer. And for only AU$1240! What a bargain!!

Okay, sarcasm aside. Guys like Werner Klocke, Sebastion Archer, Victoria Lamb, Allan C, Thomas David and all the other great mini sculptors/painters out there produce miniatures that are marinating in artistic integrity. Man, I'm tired, and am having trouble articulating what I'm trying to say. (I promise to wrap this message up quick-smart.) You look at their minis and you know that they've put tonnes of time, love, heart & soul into producing their minis. They're gold! However, on the other hand, after looking at the new GW Hobbit minis, you know they're just oozing, "Give me your money"!!! The fact (if intel is accurate) that these minis were made under struggling time restrictions (got get 'em ready to flog for Christmas and film release!!!) is strikingly apparent. But, it's "The White Council" that really makes me feel sad! 4 x finecast (we all know finecast is total & utter rubbish!!!!!) minis for AUS$125 - man c'mon!!! You're taking the piss right?

The White Council : 10,000JPY.

At current exchange rates, that's £75.70

Honestly, while the white council seem to be nicely sculpted minis, there is nobody, anywhere that is going to convince me that they are £75.70 worth of nicely sculpted minis.

Do GW really, really believe that that is an acceptable price? That it isn't downright rude? I mean, what about that price doesn't scream "we firmly believe that you, the buying public, are so gullible that you will pay any amount of money to obtain our miniatures. We tell you they are good, so you believe us. For lo, you are fools. There are no other miniature companies. There is only The Hobby."
    Last edited by me_in_japan; 11-25-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

From the perspective of a hobbyist, not a gamer, I would not buy any of these. The sculpts released so far don't look that great, not bad, but definitely not worth the price. When I see prices like that I think more along the lines of Rackham and Kingdom Death. I'm sure fans of the movie and LotR in general will buy some, but you're not going to win over a lot of painters and collectors with those models and prices. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Zilo View Post
    From the perspective of a hobbyist, not a gamer, I would not buy any of these. The sculpts released so far don't look that great, not bad, but definitely not worth the price. When I see prices like that I think more along the lines of Rackham and Kingdom Death. I'm sure fans of the movie and LotR in general will buy some, but you're not going to win over a lot of painters and collectors with those models and prices. :\
    Totally agree!

I got the Kingdom Death 'Wet Nurse' model for far less that the new "Hobbit" range 'Trolls' cost, and it was delivered from overseas, sure the Wet Nurse is not Kingdom Death's most exquisite model ever, but it is a CLASSIC, it is resin, it has those gorgeous pregnant girls, it is freakishly horrible, and it is a limited run item.
    Those trolls, I stared at them and got no sense of scale, no sense of movement, no sense of background story from each of them, just boring bits of plastic which cost a small fortune to buy.
    It makes no sense at all that those trolls are 2012-2013 GW "State-of-the-art plastic models", they look soooo average and cost sooooooooo much! What a shame.
    Last edited by Griffin; 11-25-2012 at 01:38 PM.

I like the look of escape from goblin town. I also like the look of the new goblins. So I will probably get that.
    But... (hehe you knew that was coming)
    It is the single mini prices that are getting silly. The recent single mini plastics are pretty good and not too bad on price (£9 now), but some of the finecast are far too much (£15 for the winged vampire?). The white council are just shy of £12 each. If the minis were awesomely sculpted, then yes, I would pay that much, but they are nothing special (not bad, just not great).
    Where things pass into the mind boggling is the overseas prices.
    Goblin Captain is £10 here (very expensive considering the sculpt), in Australia it is $30, that is £19.57 at current exchange rate. Sorry, but that is OUTRAGEOUS.
    For £24.99 I could get this... I rest my case.

I don't know any other way to say this. The paint jobs are REALLY hurting these miniatures. I mean its just bad. The Wargs look like they have one or two coats, a highlight and a wash. I know that Eavy Metal has the talent and does amazing things, its just these are so damn atrocious I think it REALLY hurts the overall feel of these miniatures. Aside from pricing I would be fine buying some of these. But the paint jobs are just making decent miniatures look like crap.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

I think the boxed set and the rulebook -it appears to be executed as lavishly as their latest books- seem to be worth it. All the other sets seem badly over-priced to me.
    If the game plays well with the miniatures in the basic box, I think this might be something to consider.

And of course it will attract new people to our hobby which is always nice!

Their latest books arent lavish. Just full color and hardback.

Still mostly old art and horrible writing.

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    I don't know any other way to say this. The paint jobs are REALLY hurting these miniatures. I mean its just bad. The Wargs look like they have one or two coats, a highlight and a wash. I know that Eavy Metal has the talent and does amazing things, its just these are so damn atrocious I think it REALLY hurts the overall feel of these miniatures. Aside from pricing I would be fine buying some of these. But the paint jobs are just making decent miniatures look like crap.
    You are absolutely right. The paint jobs in this set are really awful. Just to name an example if you look at the Bilbo character, on the back of the red coat there seems to be placed some nice fingerprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Fereian View Post
    You are absolutely right. The paint jobs in this set are really awful. Just to name an example if you look at the Bilbo character, on the back of the red coat there seems to be placed some nice fingerprints.
    Well i don't think its on the back, it looks like part of the mold. But the front has TWO fingerprints right on it. I mean thats just sad.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Well it has been a long time since any GW paintjob has made me go wow!

Not like the dudes that paint Infinity, Eden, PP or malifaux.

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    Well it has been a long time since any GW paintjob has made me go wow!

Not like the dudes that paint Infinity, Eden, PP or malifaux.
    And considering the quality of the painters that says a lot.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.