Puppet Monster
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppet Monster

Default Puppet Monster

Whilst bed shopping last week my mind was elsewhere and I started brainstorming sculpting ideas. I liked the idea of creating some monstrous clowns and started with some sketches:

Tonight I started a basic armature:

I will probably use this as a practice sculpt (without the rider...) and if it turns out well I'll scale it up in line with the second concept sketch.

Disclaimer: In the first sketch I was going for a Gonzo the muppet nose... not a phallus (as my brother so kindly pointed out on my Facebook page)!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Luna View Post
    Consider yourself quoted!

Really like the Jack-in-the-Box effect on the neck. Some really nice psychosis to exploit there.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

2nd one looks the best to me
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    2nd one looks the best to me
    Definitely, I agree. First was just an initial scribble. I like the weight of the second. This sculpt will be as close a copy of the second as I can manage :-)

Here are the arm-atures(!):

On the sheet of paper I drew a very crude template in pencil, just for proportions.

Here is a shot of the torso so far (still as it was on Friday night):

Torso still has a bit of shaping to do (forward lean, arched back, as discussed). You'll see I've started some socket joints as the arms and head will be seperate components.

The left hand illustrates how I used green stuff to secure the finger joints and create the basic form of the hand. The fingers should now be farly well secured as the finger wire was looped around to secure to the armature. The right hand shows how I've started to position the fingers.

Here you can see the base layer of the head and the initial shapes of the hand. Although the rest of the sculpt will largely be Procreate the fingers will entirely be GS (maybe with a bittle 'brown stuff') as I would have little to no faith of Procreate sticking to the wire! Having said that I may attempt it as I would expect better results from Procreate. We shall see!

Last night I continued building the basic form of the hands:

I've been using the good old fashioned "sausages, balls and sheets" of putty method but (to ensure symmetry) have been rolling shapes in duplicate and applying to each hand in turn.

Tonight I added the shoes:

These will be smoothed and shaped as the Procreate cures. Once set I will add the laces and sculpt the trousers (followed by the frilly trim around his trousers).

I've started shaping the face (apologies for the blurred photo):

As you can see I work very slowly! Little and often... :-p

Hands are coming on well: basic shape complete and ready for detail:

Looking good mate
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Cheers mate!

Here's my progress on the underside of the hands:

...and some token progress on the torso:

I've bought a second pin vice as I'll be needing one very soon... As I start sculpting the frilly wrist cuffs I'll be relying upon the pin vice. To ensure symmetry I'll need to work on both arms simulataneously (hence the need for a second vice). I opted for the local hobby shop (supporting local business!) and was pleased to see the range of drill bits on offer (I lost one of mine some time ago).

Looking good moonmini your sculpting is really coming along !
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    Looking good moonmini your sculpting is really coming along !
    Thanks mate! I'm glad you think so, it means a lot.

A moments work on the laces...

...and a bit more on the hands:

I've been working on knuckles and finger joints and working on alternating fingers to avoid silly accidents. Tonight I started with the middle finger, little finger and thumb. Slow going!

Looking great as usual!
    I've been following this work on Facebook... but your progress is much more detailed in here!
    That means that I have another thread to follow on CMON.
    =D

Well, like I said, I also prefer the 2nd one. They look like they could be brothers!

Regrading the problem you have with the filling sticking to the wire...
    wouldn't it help if you took the wire and gently squeeze it with a cutting pliers?
    Or maybe just use the carving knife just to make some cuts on the wire.
    That would create some grip on the wire.

But in this scale it's probably easier to just use some thing that sticks to the wire.
    =P
    - - -
    Since GW has decreed that the Stormraven's cockpit opens and the pilot climbs in, it is now Gospel. As it is written, so shall it be done!

Thanks Sagh! All very good points. Truth is, I'm too lazy! Plus it's a good opportunity to get to grips with green stuff.

Here's the latest WIP shot of hands:

A little more work on the hands today. I've neatened up the inside of the index fingers:

...and shaped the fingers some more:

I can only see a small amount more progress between now and New Year as I'll be visiting family over Christmas.

In the absence of my sculpting gear I've been doodling with some watercolours. The original is in colour but this WIP shot has been ran through an "antique photo" filter.

Last edited by moonmin82; 12-28-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Resized photo.

Love them or hate them, everybody seems to have an opinion on Kingdom Death. Either way you can't deny there is some great sculpting on show. I wish I'd found this particular image sooner as it'll make great reference material for my clowns hands.

These hands belong to the Phoenix included in the forthcoming game Monster. I thought I ought to link this image before I lose it!

It's been a while but I have finally resumed work on the Puppet Monster. Now that I'm getting used to working with a Green Stuff/MagicSculp mix I have more confidence to work on the large smooth areas such as the torso. The plan is to have him ready to cast in October!

glad to see this project back on your workbench, as its a cool concept. keep up the great work
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Kewl- the work of Jean-Louis Crinon comes to mind when looking at this.