Deepwars: Breaching Mech Construct & Scientist of the Ethers

Thread: Deepwars: Breaching Mech Construct & Scientist of the Ethers

Default Deepwars: Breaching Mech Construct & Scientist of the Ethers

another speed paint; my Fortune hunters warband is growing!
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/319807
    Name:  img50b940bf8801f.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  202.2 KB
    i apologize for the photo quality. as always i would love feedback. in particular, i'm curious about what you think of the jet and bubbles of the breaching mech construct - did i pull it off, or does it look stupid?

Being honest I can't tell what it's supposed to be doing.
    If its breaching up out the water then something doesn't look right to me, but I can't say what.
    I think I'd need to see the figure in the flesh to work out what it is.

I think separate pics maybe better as well.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Deepwars is an underwater setting, so the stand is supposed to be the plume of bubbles from a thruster.
    Last edited by funnymouth; 12-01-2012 at 06:13 AM.

looks spot on to me. It must be his age or his eyes, because that thruster plume looks almost perfect to me. It's never going to be 100% because the figure itself isn't sctually under water but it's as good as its gonna get imo.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

ah! now i understand the confusion. it is a "breaching mech," used for breaching the hull of a ship/submarine, it is not supposed to be breaching as in jumping. it is floating underwater above the seafloor.
    Last edited by funnymouth; 12-01-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Well I think it looks very cool when you explained it was under water!

Quote Originally Posted by funnymouth View Post
    ah! now i understand the confusion. it is a "breaching mech," used for breaching the hull of a ship/submarine, it is not supposed to be breaching as in jumping. it is floating underwater above the seafloor.
    Confusion clarified, thank you.

Not an easy theme to try to depict, due to the subject but since we can't paint transparent for water/air bubbles I think it pretty much hits the mark.
    Still I'd like to see a large pic of the scientist.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I just love your metals. Great minis.

I like the bubble work, but is it really using a flame source to create the thrust or would it be a non-red glow inducing propellor? Because it doesn't look big enough to carry much fuel. And purely from a GD-level judging-type perspective, I would assume such a blast of thrust would probably impart some movement to the seabed creatures and muck laying around below the 'bot.

I second the thumbs up on the metals work and will add one in for your jeweling. Did you use multiple layers of wash/glaze over a base coat of metal?

it is definitely a thruster (the back end of the thing is a huge array of jets). part of the fluff of the game is that a new power source was discovered in a hidden sea beneath the ice sheet at the pole. ether (sort of like magic) powered crystals grow on hydrothermal vents, and are capable of producing a tremendous amount of power, but need to be continuously replenished, causing a sort of "gold rush." deepwars takes place some time after the initial discovery and in the interim human explorers have learned to copy the technology of the the ancients that use the crystals - giving rise to robots such as the mech.

that being said, you make a very good point, and i almost certainly over did it on the orange effect. noted!

im glad everyone likes the metals. much of what i know about painting them i leaned from an article here. You've got the gist, but I'll dig up the link. What I've done here is a simplification of those principles.

i have been posting these models in groups because i have been painting them that way, as fast as i can, and i haven't really considered the time i've invested to be worthy of the individual glamor shots i usually do. seems to be a recurring request, though, so i think it is time i reconsider.
    Last edited by funnymouth; 12-05-2012 at 12:54 PM.

well I think that it looks cool and hits the mark spot on