Trying to find the right colour/paints...

Thread: Trying to find the right colour/paints...

Default Trying to find the right colour/paints...

Hello~ I've been working on some models and while looking through other peoples work for a colour scheme ideas I stumbled upon this image

Name:  img4fcbb9b94e04c.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  170.1 KB
    How would I create that shade of brown? I can see the colours used in the recesses but the highlighted areas have such an odd colour I have no idea what paints to use. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I am very new at this but I can't help but take a stab at it.

Maybe raw sienna with naples yellow?

It looks like a yellow-ish earth color; that's what I'm going on.

Reaper Miniatures has a program that gives you a guide to mixing the colors based on their paint line, not perfect but would give you a place to start. Its under the resource tab at www.reapermini.com.
    When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Isoulle
    How would I create that shade of brown? I can see the colours used in the recesses but the highlighted areas have such an odd colour I have no idea what paints to use. Any thoughts?
    Using what? 100 ways of getting to all sorts of colours, depending on what paints you have.

So instead of looking for specifics try to approach it generically: what kind of colour am I aiming for? Flow's pretty much on the money - most of what you're seeing are dull yellow-oranges, which you could call yellowish browns, with most of the shadowed areas being a little more reddish.

If you're new to mixing generally one of the first things to try to do is develop your eye, that way at least you'll be heading for the right colours when you mix instead of floundering about (everyone has had this experience early on). If you have PS or GIMP, sampling the colour around photos will give you a proper look at what hue things are in the pic which is great training for your 'eye'.

Quote Originally Posted by contractor675
    Reaper Miniatures has a program that gives you a guide to mixing the colors based on their paint line, not perfect but would give you a place to start. Its under the resource tab at www.reapermini.com.
    Honestly you're better off not using this sort of thing at all unless you know it's not hit and miss. I'm pretty sure for example that if you plugged in photos of minis that you know are painted with Reaper colours to that utility it won't accurately spot the paints used. And I bet it misses more than it hits too.

Einion

I usually have a pretty good eye for this sort of thing the issue is that I can't seem to get quite that colour. Things I mix are somewhat similar but it is never quite right. It's either to yellow or too brown or etc etc. I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on what paint mixes could get that? (Lets say from the p3, GW or Vallejo paint range since they're what I have access to)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Isoulle
    Things I mix are somewhat similar but it is never quite right. It's either to yellow or too brown or etc etc.
    Okay, that's actually a great start - you know you're close but you're missing the mark somewhat is at least closer than some people would be.

My usual advice with this sort of problem is try to see in what way(s) your mix is off and compensate. I suspect that a lot of the time when mixing tricky colours (many duller colours are particularly tough) one of the main problems is overstepping the mark, going too far in any given direction.

One way to approach it is to start with a mix a little brighter than you need and adjust incrementally keeping each step. At some point it'll be obvious you've gone too far so maybe two steps previously the colour was close to ideal, only it wasn't clear at the time. It's also important to try mixes on the mini, things can look utterly different on the palette!

Bit of a tangent but I suspect that here the colour isn't just a simple mix - it could have been formed by an overall wash of that redder shading colour over a yellowish basecoat. In general this sort of thing can give colours you can't achieve by mixing (at least using the same paints), which is worth bearing in mind just in case.

Einion

It's really hard to tell from photographs.

Einion is the resident expert, and I defer to his advice. There could indeed be some washing and glazing going on. I'd also like to add that if your mixes are too yellow, try adding a tiny amount of a complementary color, like a medium blue or grey, to dull them down just a tad. It's just like how a bit of green can add nuance to a too-ruddy flesh tone.