WoW Sylvanas figure conversion
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WoW Sylvanas figure conversion

Default WoW Sylvanas figure conversion

Well, I had typed a long intro to this, but it got lost in a connection hiccup. Yay.

Long story short: I bought the Sylvanas figure a while back because I thought it looked cool, then opened it up and saw how much it sucked. A fan art piece inspired me to pull it apart, chop it up, and try to make it better.

Basically, the pose is dumb, the legs are stupidly long and skinny, the Dominatrix heels are ridiculous, a lot of the armor looks bad, the bow is dumb, there's no quiver, the quiver strap stops halfway between her gigantic comic book breasts, and I've always thought it looked kinda weird to have a thong over some trousers and I want something more like what's in the fan art on the right.

I started on this a while back, so there's going to be a lot of pics dumped in here until we catch up to my current work. I also forgot to take pics of the figure before I started the conversion work, so I'll be borrowing some pics from El Gosiengfiao's review of the Sylvanas figure from her website fangirlisms.com with her permission.

Here's a pic from El, giving a good idea of how spindly the legs are and the weird pose they're in:

After pulling the legs away from the hip/waist area and removing the lower sections just above the knees, I set to test-fitting some new poses for them and decided on having the left leg straight as though she's walking and has just taken a step with her left foot while the right leg is behind, about to swing forward, reversed from the fan art pic. At this point, I decided I didn't like the cloak as it was on the figure and wanted to shift it more to the right, which would expose part of her backside, and the figure left something to be desired in that area.

The left leg didn't require too much repositioning and I intended to permanently reattach it at some point down the road, leaving the right one off to paint separately and then attach it once the figure was done since it was going to require a lot more work. The following series of pics shows how I started to build up the muscles in her legs and butt to more realistic and healthy proportions(and in line with the art), and I've also sanded away all of the sculpted wrinkles from the pants.

For this larger scale figure, I'm using an automotive filler putter or "Bondo" as some people have started calling it, using a single manufacturer's name as an all-inclusive term like Xerox or Kleenex. It's a two-part putty and the hardener is a blue gel, so the white areas are using less hardener so it's easier for me to rough in the shape with a blade and sandpaper, and then I come back in with more hardener in the mix once I have the shape I want to get a smoother finish with sanding.

Here we are, getting closer to what I was wanting. By this point, I've started spraying the area with black primer after some of the layers and sanding as a guide coat to look for any imperfections I might have missed, and that's why it's looking a bit grubby in these pics. I'd also decided I didn't care for the goofy grooves and the skull on the front of her undies, so those are gone, to be re-sculpted at a later point.

Default And then the boobs.

After working on the legs for a while, I turned my attention to the armor on the chest. Here's a few pics borrowed from fangirlisms.com to show the bizarre armor the sculptor decided to go with:

It was like two tall jars stuck to her chest. I decided I would remove the upper portion, leaving as much the general shape intact as I could. I originally wanted to just remove the oversized breasts and armor entirely, but I wasn't sure if my sculpting skills were up to rebuilding all of that.

These two series of pics show how I carved away the upper armor and some of the breast to give it a more natural shape - although still larger than I intended - and cleaning up the knife work with bondo and a guide coat to check for imperfections, which there are still many at this point.

Adding the strap with "greenstuff", though I had the grey variety at the time, and doing more smoothing and another guide coat.

Default More legs

At that point, I put the figure down for several months and when I came back around March of this year, I started in on the lower legs. Once again, my original thought, like the chest, was to scrap the lower legs entirely but I wasn't sure if I could pull off the sculpting well enough. So, instead, out came the blades and saws.

The top pic shows the left lower leg in all of its underfed glory with the leg armor removed. The second pic is where I sectioned the pieces off to reduce the overall length, and the third is pinning it back together - one pin to join the upper part to the thigh, and another to join the two lower parts.

Next was a LOT of adding bondo, scraping and sanding, then wash, rinse, repeat.

And then chopping off the gigantic Dominatrix heels and rebuilding something more realistic:

Last edited by Kageboshi; 12-13-2012 at 02:14 AM.

The trousers and chest armour are probably an artistic choice so it could be sold to children without fear of a "mature" rating being thrown on it. Not sure I understand why you're so disappointed with getting exactly what you would expect but I like where you're going with it.

By the by, a thong without trousers in a suit made for fighting doesn't make any more sense than a thong over trousers, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietiManes View Post
    The trousers and chest armour are probably an artistic choice so it could be sold to children without fear of a "mature" rating being thrown on it. Not sure I understand why you're so disappointed with getting exactly what you would expect but I like where you're going with it.

By the by, a thong without trousers in a suit made for fighting doesn't make any more sense than a thong over trousers, just saying.
    Well, the in-game model of Sylvanas with the pants on was used to make the dragon aspect females, sans pants, but I can see your point for selling the figure.

As for the armor, I already realize it's completely impractical for fighting in with the upper chest, abdomen, and inner legs exposed where all those big, juicy arteries are that can make you bleed out in a matter of seconds. With that in mind, removing the pants doesn't crank up the impracticality by much more and removes the oddness of wearing panties over it. If you don't buy that, I can always fall back on sticking closer to the fan art that inspired the conversion in the first place. Or that she's undead and doesn't bleed anyway. >_>

Default Legs

After that, I found that I had grown tired of the goofy-looking armor on the thighs after tall this time and decided to make a lot more work for myself and clip it off, wanting to bring it more in line with the fan art. First step? Clip it all off!

Then I started building the armor plate up with bondo.

And then adding the armor trim with half-round strip styrene.

Now we're just about caught up where I started working on this again about a 7-10 days ago.

Way back when I first pulled this figure apart, I knew I wanted to have the head separate from the hood so it wouldn't be a complete nightmare to paint the face. Removing the hood was, so far, the biggest PITA on this figure and it took a lot of cutting and prying with a screwdriver. In the process, I did some damage to the neck, so when I recently adjusted the way the head sat and reattached it, I filled in those damaged areas and the huge gap between upper chest and neck with Mr. Surfacer.

Next was to sculpt the trim back onto her chest armor:

Then I started in on making a bow from scratch. The original snapped in half while I was unboxing this thing for the first time, and I didn't like the look of it anyway. Using the one half of the bow I still had, I took some brass wire and bent it into the new shape I wanted while making it approximately the same length. Using bondo, I started to build it up over several layers. The idea is to build one half of it and then make a mold and make two casts instead of scratch building both sides. We'll see how that goes.

And here's a sort of test shot where I put most of the figure back together to get an idea of how everything was coming together:

That's all I have for now, but I hope to have this updated pretty regularly, since I would like to finish it in time to enter into a model show in my area in February.

C&C appreciated!

Thanks,

-Kage
    Last edited by Kageboshi; 12-13-2012 at 05:53 AM.

You are putting a lot of work into this project, looking cool so far
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    You are putting a lot of work into this project, looking cool so far
    Thanks! This turned out to be a lot more work than I ever thought it was going to be and there's been several times where it just felt like I was never going to get it done, but that last pic has really shown me that I'm getting close to finishing it.

I like where you are going with this. She is coming about, really well. Don't stop keep it up!

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Really eager the see where it's going. Awesome work there mate. Keep it up.

Im impressed lot of fiddlesome intricate work looks good....one question tho its obvious you have the skills so why didnt you just build one from scratch ? only a thought
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Quote Originally Posted by moetle View Post
    I like where you are going with this. She is coming about, really well. Don't stop keep it up!

Moe
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybarbeau View Post
    Really eager the see where it's going. Awesome work there mate. Keep it up.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    Im impressed lot of fiddlesome intricate work looks good....one question tho its obvious you have the skills so why didnt you just build one from scratch ? only a thought
    I appreciate the compliment, but I'm not sure if my skills are good enough to make the jump from doing heavy conversions to sculpting something from scratch. I would eventually like to get to that point, though.

Don't know till ya try :P

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

Brush Brother Moetle

True. I'm sure I'll get to that point eventually.

Small update on the bow. I've wanted to try out some polymer clay for a while now, and since I can heat up the bow with no worries of melting anything, I gave it a shot for building up the bow.

Reference pic, after the first curing, and after the second. I originally went for a rougher wood-carved look to the clay area but I didn't like how it turned out and I was surprised to find out how hard the clay got after curing, so it was much faster to fill in those areas with Mr. Surfacer than trying to sand it all down. Now I just need to put some swirly decorations on it with greenstuff and I think it'll be ready for casting.

You know there is another version of her based on that art print right?

Moe

Brush Brother Moetle

Yep.

When I bought my Syl figure, I didn't know about this one and I'm not even sure if it was available at the time. I've seen some close up pics of it and I'm not impressed. The hands are way too big for the rest of the body, and I don't like the face at all - two things I really don't think I could fix.

Besides, I've already invested a huge amount of time into this and I want to finish it.

Ya i didn't want you to stop, but i would want to know Looking forward to more!

Moe

Brush Brother Moetle

Default moar

I've been busy the last month, but I have gotten some more work done.

First up is the straps for the armor on Syl's thighs:

Next, I finally got around to re-sculpting her bikini bottom with the new large clayshapers I got for xmas. Oh man, I love these things, especially working on a figure this big. Don't mind the weird pinkish color in some of the crevices - I tried out a skin color that looked great in the bottle, but not so much on the figure:

After that, I started work on a new cloak for several reasons: 1) The original cloak doesn't really fit anymore with the repositioned legs. 2) The original cloak has so many little wrinkles and folds in that it doesn't even look like real cloth. 4) The original cloak is unrealistically long and without a stiff breeze to blow it so dramatically, it would drag behind her like some elaborate train on a royal wedding dress. 3) I wanted the cloak fan out higher and look more like real cloth and be a realistic length.

I didn't really think I could sculpt a cloak out of greenstuff or some other form of putty/clay and have it stay on the figure because it would be too heavy. Even if I could get it to stay attached to the figure, I would have to go to ridiculous means to secure her to a base of some kind to support the weight, which I don't want to do. She will be attached to a base at some point, but I want it to be something I can easily disassemble for transportation.

So, after thinking on it for a few days, I happened to be looking at the original cloak and noticed the pattern the sculptor had put in to look like woven thread, and an idea occurred to me: why not use real cloth? I could shape it however I wanted, it would be light, and it would look like cloth without the hassle of trying to imprint a pattern into clay/putty to give the illusion of such.

The first step was to drill some holes in her back and glue in some wire which I then bent into the rough shape I wanted, and unfortunately, I neglected to snap a pic of that because I was in the groove and moving pretty quickly. For the next step, I was lucky to have a mom and sister who both do a lot of sewing, so I got to pick through a ton of fabric scraps to find something that looked just right, as well as making off with a bottle of Fabric Stiffener™. I measured from the back of her neck where the hood would join the cloak down to her ankles, and then cut out the fabric and superglued it to the wire. Here's a shot of that stage:

After a little repositioning and tweaking, I grabbed up the bottle of Fabric Stiffener™ and was a bit disappointed to discover it was nothing more than thinned down white(or PVA) glue. So, with the watery glue, a brush, and my fingers, I set about shaping the cloak to something suitably curvy and billowy(yes, it's a word) that still looked like real cloth that might be blowing in the wind:

Not the greatest pic, I know, but I'll be getting more and better ones soon. Since the wires are still visible from the front, and it looks messy where I folded the cloth over to glue to the wires, I'll be covering the front side with another layer, and then distressing it to make it look tattered and torn around the hem.

As always, thanks for looking and all C&C appreciated!

-K

Awesome idea with the cloth. It should add an extra touch of authenticity that would be hard to recreate with clay.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.