Hobbit
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobbit

Thumbs up Hobbit

I loved it, I'm a fan of the book and imo the movie makers have done a great job turning it into a movie.
    Super FX also, especially on Golums face expressions.
    Radagast stole the show with Sylvester McCoy depicting a eccentric, mushroom eating wizard who loves the forest
    and it's wildlife but is still a force to deal with (in his own way)

I recommend
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Looking forward to it, and now (being an 'old school' Doctor Who fan) looking forward to McCoys performance. Cheers

I will be going to see it - but not sure when. The other half isn't that interested (my suggestion as part of her birthday pressie didn't go down well ) so going to have to work out how/when/etc

Saw it. Thought it was slightly boring. The dwarves were also not my cup of tea, too silly and not at all memorable.

Oh and dont see it in the newfangled HFR 3d. Made the movie look cheaply made, and the 3d effects were not in sufficient numbers to warrant the extra ticket price.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Things I liked; The fight in Goblin Town. The action 'flowed' nicely with a couple fight Trops? included.
    I liked the Dwarfs, showed that they were not all fighters by trade.
    Gollum; still the creepy little fellow that we all love. Or would that be, was still?
    The Trolls. That bit surprised me, as well as the Goblin King.

Didn't like the song the Dwarfs sang that was re-sung during the credits but some else?!? Goes from something low and longing to something almost pop-ish! Not sure what they where thinking.
    Not sure on the whole Radagast bit. Not that I didn't like it but did it add anything to the story being told? Seem a little off base to the movie but maybe in trilogy story it will mesh better.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mud duck View Post
    Didn't like the song the Dwarfs sang that was re-sung during the credits but some else?!? Goes from something low and longing to something almost pop-ish! Not sure what they where thinking.
    Not sure on the whole Radagast bit. Not that I didn't like it but did it add anything to the story being told? Seem a little off base to the movie but maybe in trilogy story it will mesh better.

Dammit mud duck! It was to be a surprise that One Direction did the Dwarves song at the end! Thanks for ruining the surprise for those that haven't seen the movie! How about next time starting your post with SPOILER ALERT?

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Thought it was Justin Beaver or whatever his name is. Thought less of a spoiler and more a public service!
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Blog Entries

I never thought of it that way. I stand corrected! Please continue using your powers for the greater good!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    Saw it. Thought it was slightly boring. The dwarves were also not my cup of tea, too silly and not at all memorable.

Oh and dont see it in the newfangled HFR 3d. Made the movie look cheaply made, and the 3d effects were not in sufficient numbers to warrant the extra ticket price.
    Did anyone else see it in the new HFR 3D and feel the same way?
    I wanted to go see it during the day catch the first show save a couple of bucks and get a good seat, but work won't let me get away. Wife has no interest in going either.

I saw it in the regular boring mode (tickets were purchased by a friend, so no complaints!), but I have a friend who saw it in HFR 3D and had the opposite experience.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    I saw it in the regular boring mode (tickets were purchased by a friend, so no complaints!), but I have a friend who saw it in HFR 3D and had the opposite experience.
    Really? You can spot every single bit of CG work as if it was done by, well me!

It was the main negative issue a highly respected movie critic had here in Denmark, think she knocked off 2 stars on that account. And she is a massive PJ and lotr fan.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Not trying to discount your experience mar - your first hand account should trump my second hand. Just reporting what I heard.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I love it and so my wife.

The only persons that told me they didn't like it saw it in 3D. I hate hyper HD, the film seems to be the footage of the film
    BTW, the book is weel respected with some extra stuffs. I really appreciated Gollums and some other characters but what I prefered was the sets! So much different colours and style, very inspiring.

Hope you'll like it.

The thing that I have noticed with other 3D movies is you really need to be sitting in the center of the theater, so I would avoid the crowded times. Critics here have said the same about the hyper HD but it is there job to be critical. I think I will go and see it in the regular format and if I really feel like seeing it again go back another time to see it in the SHD. Thanks for the input.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    I loved it, I'm a fan of the book and imo the movie makers have done a great job turning it into a movie.
    Super FX also, especially on Golums face expressions.
    Radagast stole the show with Sylvester McCoy depicting a eccentric, mushroom eating wizard who loves the forest
    and it's wildlife but is still a force to deal with (in his own way)

I recommend
    Radagast sounds like the crappyiest wizard in middle earth but after watching the film I like him better than Gandalf after Sylvester McCoys perfromance. F*cking awesome!!! Cool sleigh to!

I saw it in 2D standard mode and i have heard a lot of negative stuff about 3d and hfr so just see it normal peeps, if you like LOTR I really think you will enjoy this, its a bit more fun and tongue in check with the dwarves but it is meant to have a slightly lighter heart .
    dfb
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 12-19-2012 at 11:24 AM.

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Haven't seen it yet. Does it have the same feel as LTR?

I hear the HFR thing makes stuff too clear. My cousin said that it was so clear that the costumes looked like costumes whereas the older (funny to say that with how fast things are changing) FR had a touch of soft focus that blurred things just a bit as to eliminate that look.
    Surrealism: You have two giraffes. The government requires you to take harmonica lessons.

It looks more real I think. I didn't know what to expect but I think I liked it actually. It feels more like walking around a real place... which is a double edged sword. The props need to be super. I can see why many people don't like it.

I think the SFX can be spotted anyway, regardless, but yes it is clearer the better resolution. But it kind of felt... like how I experienced the lord of the rings sfx when I saw it back in the days (not now). Like that the sfx had grown just so much to fill those shoes in 4k. It didn't bother me.

The movie sucked me right in. I think Peter Jackson is my kind of fantasy nerd making movies. I was very worried with the dwarfs seeing the trailer but... I liked it. Loved it is perhaps a better term. When you love something you forgive the little things. I love this kind of fantasy, it's what I am here for.

I think I'll read the book again before going to see the movie. It's such a great read! I remember reading that book in Melbourne as a teenager. It was a cold, grey and stormy day, and I was home sick from school, snuggled up in a blanket in the living room with the heater on. It's probably the book reading experience that left the deepest impression on my mind. I remember feeling like I was vicariously living the experience of the hobbits as the wonderful story unfolded. I even took supper breaks together with the hobbits as they traveled bravely on their quest. As far as books go, this book really worked my imagination and brought to life so many vivid and opulent images in my mind. Truly a monumental experience!

I have to re-live that imagined journey at least once more in my lifetime before giving my own imagined "The Hobbit" world away to a stuffy cinema, popcorn and coca cola.

Having said (typed) all that ~ I'm sure the movies are going to be AWESOME!!! Also, I really hope that GW can work with the fabulous (no, I'm not gay - sorry to use that word) Perry Brothers to release some stellar Hobbit miniature sculpts!

I thought the movie was overall good. But certain aspects were really bad. When the Goblin King first spoke I was like huh? His voice was very out of character and goofy, and his one liner at his end was just atrocious. Really? I know it's the Hobbit and the book is more of a kids book, but I would think he would 100% keep it within the same realm as the trilogy - which felt real and nothing was too over the top. Instead we get the whole party of dwarves falling through an enormous cave at high velocity on an indestructible wooden structure only to survive completely intact, Radaghast and his sleigh of rabbits (and a pointless boring chase scene)??? uhhhh and goofy trolls. None of that was even close to how I imagined it in the books. The parts I really enjoyed though were the ones with Bilbo and Gandalf, the scenes discovering about the Necromancer, and of course Gollum. I feel those parts really felt LotRish, where a few of the above mentioned scenes were out of the realm PJ created in the trilogy.
    Anyways - glad I saw it, and it's pretty good, just not *as* good...
    My Rank -

It had its good and bad moments. For me I felt like it was just another movie that involved a group of individuals running away of various dangerous situations followed by slow, uninspiring dialogue that could put me to sleep. I also did not like the abuse of CGI. The original trilogy had a healthy dose of practical effects which were complimented by CGI but I felt like The Hobbit just used CGI for everything! Orcs, goblins, eagles, etc. Barely anything was practical.

On a good note, the flashbacks where the dwarfs were fighting epic battles against smaug, as well as the goblins, were fun to watch.