Displaying your precious minis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Displaying your precious minis

Default Displaying your precious minis

At the moment, my bestest minis sit on an open shelving unit build by my father in law.
    It suits, but the dusting is annoying.
    But now we have a Bengal cat:

I have to rethink this.
    Basically, this cat climbs, jumps, leaps everywhere, and is quite capable of destroying an entire army of small, tasty minis in an afternoon.

I shudder to think what would happen if she climbed onto my display!

Sooo...

What do you guys do for safe display?
    Ideally looking for an actual product, but heck, I'll entertain various photos for the sheer joy of sharing!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 03-23-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Curio Cabinets and Trophy cases with adjustable shelves, are two of the options I am exploring for displaying and storage of completed minis. Fortunately, I don't have a cat, so anything that sits higher than the sweep range of the dog's tail is good enough at the moment!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Sadly, I don't display, I just pack it all up and hide it. But you should be able to find display cabinets and such at almost any furniture store. Even the cheaper ones, with air gaps and such, almost eliminate the need to dust...and it's easy to make them dust-proof with weather stripping to totally eliminate ever having to dust again.

Popular alternative choices are things like CD racks, spice racks, electronic cabinets (with the glass doors), office/jewellery/store (counter or floor) displays. If you keep an eye on the local classifieds, CraigsList, Ebay, etc, people and business' are always getting rid of them for a fraction of the new price. They can be pretty expensive.

If you're handy, it's not overly complicated to put a shelf together with a glass or plexiglass door or even a cabinet with see-through walls. I think with a cat, there needs to be a barrier like a glass door, especially a young cat, they're re-do-do-diculous.

There should be lots of examples in previous threads on the subject. Plus a bunch more in all the "show your workspace/hobby room" threads.

QuietManes is spot on. I HATE dust on my minis, especially those with delicate flower bases and such. Here is what I have: http://www.roller.de/haengevitrine-b.../000131005601/

Its a German company, but international sellers like Ikea have similar things.
    When I was your age, Yuggoth was a planet.

GW cares not from whence the cash flows, only that it flows!

Ikea is your friend! Love the display cabinet I got from them: Detolf. It's not locking, but it's not going to be something the kitty can open. For $149 AUS, I wouldn't think it's too terribly high. Heavy as all get out, however, so be aware of that. Nice thing is that its easy to add a light fixture to the top, and have a gorgeous way to show off the minis. That's currently where all mine are.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

A Bengal... best of luck mate!

A glass-fronted cabinet of some kind with glass doors is the obvious suggestion, but it might be safest to keep one room strictly off-limits to the cat for the minis to live in given the prodigious climbing abilities your cat is likely to have.

Quote Originally Posted by PegaZus
    Ikea is your friend! Love the display cabinet I got from them: Detolf. It's not locking, but it's not going to be something the kitty can open.
    I bet it could take a decent stab at knocking it over though

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by PegaZus View Post
    Love the display cabinet I got from them: Detolf.
    I was going to suggest the same thing. If you go that route, just be careful when you assemble it. You can put it together with the horizontal bars facing the outside or facing the inside. If they're facing in, the shelves are quite secure. If they are facing the outside there's a chance the shelves will slip off and destroy all your hard work.

Most of my figures are under their own domes or in groups. I've got it a little easier since dogs don't climb and mine is a corgi so she's got short little legs and no tail to wack into my figures. But for a cat owner a full on display case is probably more secure than little domes.

Managed to get a nice Oak effect Display cabinet courtesy of Tesco Direct.
    This one: http://www.tesco.com/direct/henley-2...skuId=208-3906

Nice piece of furniture, Easy to assemble. Sod to fill!
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 12-19-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Apparently I can't type today.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Firstly, you have a Bengal. By it's look, i'm guessing a 2nd or 3rd generation. That said, that is no longer your house, it's his and your there to serve him

Have you checked your local furniture/antique/used furniture store? I have two really nice curio cabinets that i got at second hand/antique shops for less then 100 bucks each. Both look brand new and both are about 2 times the size of the ones mentioned above. Both have survived attacks by two Bengal cats!

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Don't know how much it would protect the mini's but I like to display some of mine on Wall Sconce Shelves. You can get them at second hand stores for under 5$.

Name:  GF1108.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  5.2 KB
    Name:  il_fullxfull.183989047.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  133.2 KB
    Surrealism: You have two giraffes. The government requires you to take harmonica lessons.

Currently in LIDLs

£60 each or two for £110

They are also stocking a smaller one - can't find picture - but they are £30 or two for £55
    Last edited by finn17; 12-19-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    Supervike: "There's no purpose to this, besides something to do..."

You'll definitely want something that locks - the magnetic things that click shut aren't good enough. I have 2 domestic short-hairs who have long figured out how to open my display cabinet (it's one of those magnetic lock things). Luckily, they haven't messed up my display yet. They love to curl into the bottom-most compartment to peer at themselves in the internal mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by finn17 View Post
    Currently in LIDLs

£60 each or two for £110

They are also stocking a smaller one - can't find picture - but they are £30 or two for £55
    Nice unit, but I'm several thousand kilometres out of their delivery range.
    What is that unit called, so I can search for similar?

Thanks!

Currently in LIDLs

£60 each or two for £110

Win! I wanted one of these a while back - will have to get the other half to go via there tonight and try and pick up!

Currently in LIDLs

£60 each or two for £110

Yeah, I would like to find a comparable in the US. Anyone have any ideas? I know about the Ikeas (I've got two of them) but would like this as there's more storage/display space.
    Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    your my boogaboo. thanks suki.
    Bigshoota.com

Granite City Waaagh! Fest!
    The Big Mek Manual

bullets left and I'm comin' for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by yxalitis View Post
    Nice unit, but I'm several thousand kilometres out of their delivery range.
    What is that unit called, so I can search for similar?
    I think they called it a 'collector's display cabinet'.
    Supervike: "There's no purpose to this, besides something to do..."

Unfortunately, here in Australia, all I get for "Collectors display cabinet" is this:

You should be able to find collector display cabinets just about anywhere. Sports and jewelry and folk art and models and toys and all kinds of things are "collected" and "displayed" just about everywhere, after all. It's just a matter of finding their hiding spots. Sports memorabilia and trophy shops are a good place to look, as well as corporate furniture suppliers...if nothing turns up in the local auctions/classifieds.

This thread's been around awhile, but still good information - I was wondering if anyone had tried shot glass display cases? I was looking around Amazon and bumped into a slew of display cases like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Display-Cabinet-Holder-Glass-Mirror-SC13-CHE/dp/B002V13G3E/

It looks like it might be perfect; each row is a good height for displaying miniatures so it is not wasting any space. The price is not cheap, but not terrible. I'm tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by Flow View Post
    This thread's been around awhile, but still good information - I was wondering if anyone had tried shot glass display cases? I was looking around Amazon and bumped into a slew of display cases like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Display-Cabinet-Holder-Glass-Mirror-SC13-CHE/dp/B002V13G3E/

It looks like it might be perfect; each row is a good height for displaying miniatures so it is not wasting any space. The price is not cheap, but not terrible. I'm tempted.
    That's a good idea. Probably works for the smaller bases, but still, that is a large part of the collections of most! Probably not that hard to build either.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006