CMON rating and snipers...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CMON rating and snipers...

Default CMON rating and snipers...

Wow, this is not a complaint but just a constataion of my self... actually I don\'t realy care of the overall score but we are moving to a new server so had to repost some images of my existing work since the old pics will be deleted. And I noticed that latelly actually in the past 4/5 months I have got an average of 300 votes on each of my top ranking figures. I dropped from position #10 to #25/#26....? Well #25 is perfectly fine there are great artist above me and some that I rate outrageosly better then me below... but my point is that in a month or less as soon as I delete the old folder I will be ranking #199 r so.
    I reposted some of my figures that actually have scores of 9.3 or 9.1 and they got 5.6, 7.2, 7.4...
    I fully agree with the fact that someone doesn\'t like them and rates them 7 or 8, but archaon was at 7.4 and after 3 votes got to 6.4??? That means that someone in about an hour gave me 3 1\'s in a row?
    I just wanted to espress my opinion since I was amazed lol
    Well I will see you guys in the 200th position soon :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And sorry for the old anooying post on snippers, I\'m wonderingif we will ever come up with a solution....

except for eliminating the one vote, i dont see how to get rid of sniping!lol

U4-Welcome

Yeah, I saw this on your Celestine. She was right above my Widow in the top last 7, and then dipped to 8.6, then even lower... Some people may not have understood why you reposted those pics (myself included) and may have voted you down for this (which I didn\'t, just to be clear). But that\'s a pretty big drop, so yeah, you were sniped. I mean, that Chaos Lord, 5.8 ?? Simply ludicrous. Sniping\'s really becoming a problem, especially in summer, with all the brats having nothing else to do (I\'m looking at you, IPM ! lol j/k).

FYI, I think you can ask borg to update your pics without losing your votes or comments, so next time you won\'t have to endure all that.

Anyway, this is the reason why I make it a point to vote on every mini submitted in the Submissions section, and all minis submitted daily if I can - the faster it gets to an accurate (meaning non-sniped) average with 50 votes, the faster it\'s out of danger.

I\'m maybe being thick.. but its just dawned on me. Do you think the sniping could be coming from the people just below you.. so they can rise up the rankings ?

Short of stopping anonymous voting and forcing people to leave comments I can\'t see any way of preventing it.

Of course all that will do is discourage people from voting at all which kind of defeats the purpose of the site.

We just have to put up with it and trust that the system will throw out the votes that are too far from the mean.

FWIW I agree that your current scores don\'t reflect the quality of the miniature.

Cheers - Rab.

Default What Rab said...

Nice to see you on the forums Mr Jordan:D

I\'ve been a big fan of your work for some time now..:flip:

Warworks

Rab raises a good point - less votes are worse for all of us. But why can\'t it be required that if you are going to give less than, say, a 7, that you have to post a comment along with your vote?

If a voter thinks the figure could have been done better, let the artist know why - not enough people do that now at it is. And, if they get a sniper, it will be easy enough to deal with them.

AAvH-Darkblade

Default Voting and Comments.....

Originally posted by finn17
    Nice to see you on the forums Mr Jordan:D

I\'ve been a big fan of your work for some time now..:flip:
    Ditto and Ditto

I have to add that in the last year or so (I\'ve been around here since mid-2002, or something like that) voting has gotten harsher and I have found that comments have gotten, to be polite, far less constructive. I\'m not sure why this is, it is just something I\'ve noticed.

There appears to be a sad trend of people using the voting system to punish others for perceived faults; too many images up, not enough images up, using NMM not using NMM. Wierd criteria, rather then voting on a mini\'s quality of paint job, technique and composition, etc, the usual way you would consider Art.

Cheers, Darkblade :cool:

I have to say, there are very few \'sub 4\' minis on the site. The site average seems to be around a high five to a six - good tabletop minis. I think the \'comment for low score\' option is sound, but would only work on scores of 5 or below (maybe even 4 and below) \'cos it just isn\'t practical to write so many comments! What about a simple listing of scores below five with the poster\'s name tagged to it? This need not be shown on the mini\'s gallery page, just accessible by the member? I reckon most of the duff marks are coming from daft kids messing around. As for tactical voting to climb rankings? TRAGIC - anyone caught doing this should be tracked down and have their CPU keyboard inserted!

I hate sniping also... but like microsoft we just have to deal with it.

Originally posted by Spacemunkie
    I have to say, there are very few \'sub 4\' minis on the site. The site average seems to be around a high five to a six - good tabletop minis. I think the \'comment for low score\' option is sound, but would only work on scores of 5 or below (maybe even 4 and below) \'cos it just isn\'t practical to write so many comments! What about a simple listing of scores below five with the poster\'s name tagged to it? This need not be shown on the mini\'s gallery page, just accessible by the member? I reckon most of the duff marks are coming from daft kids messing around. As for tactical voting to climb rankings? TRAGIC - anyone caught doing this should be tracked down and have their CPU keyboard inserted!
    I don\'t comment on minis that I cannot give constructive suggestions for. Some people just hurry their stuff. I tend to only comment if I think they should get props or if I think it will actually be heard.

AAvH-Darkblade

I reckon most of the duff marks are coming from daft kids messing around. As for tactical voting to climb rankings? TRAGIC - anyone caught doing this should be tracked down and have their CPU keyboard inserted!
    Well said! lol lol

Darkblade :cool:

AAvH-Darkblade

Default Advice and Inspiration should = CMON

Originally posted by Smoth
    I don\'t comment on minis that I cannot give constructive suggestions for. Some people just hurry their stuff. I tend to only comment if I think they should get props or if I think it will actually be heard.
    That\'s basically my policy as well. If I can help with some advice, particularly if the person appears to have real potential. I like to see nicely painted minis, so I like to comment with encouragements and helpful comments, so in future I can enjoy seeing even more and even grander works.

When I come here I\'m looking for two things, help/advice and inspiration. So if I can encourage people with my comments to provide either, so much the better.

I think that a person should not be able to score below a 5 without leaving a comment.

t_haye2

glad I don\'t snipe then....i got a laptop.....;)

Originally posted by AAvH-Darkblade
    I reckon most of the duff marks are coming from daft kids messing around. As for tactical voting to climb rankings? TRAGIC - anyone caught doing this should be tracked down and have their CPU keyboard inserted!
    Well said! lol lol

Default Get an upgrade....

Hey Tammy, I\'d upgrade to a smart phone if I were you. At least it\'s the right shape...and you can set it to vibra.... oh nuff said :D

Default Right! *Rolls up sleeves*

[rant]
    Anything that restricts voting, such as having to leave a coment, will reduce the number of votes. Yes, this will remove the snipers...maybe..but it will also remove the nice friendly souls who dish out 9\'s and 10,s and believe me, they are in the majority.

A system that restricts voting below say 5, without leaving a comment, to all extents and purposes will mean half the population using a scale of 1-10 and the other half 5-10.

Everyone on the forums is a fanatic and rightly concerned about fairness, but the vast majority of people who use this site never look in the forums and just spend an hour or two looking at minis and voting on them.

If the management tighten up on the voting system, or start to make all sorts of rules...which lets face it..half the population will find fault with...Cmon will slowly degenerate into an elitest site and rapidly shoot up it\'s own arse like a few other mini sites I could mention.

This is \'Arakis\' designed to train the faithful...If you can cut the mustard here..you can cut it anywhere:D

Snipers are a hazard, they are a hazard to everyone...

To be honest...I suspect that far more scores are \'upped\' than \'downed\' by sycophantic friends etc...Should we then say that no one should be able to vote above 5 without leaving a comment?

The system is there..it has it\'s faults but, \'simple is efficient\' as they say.

I have yet to hear any suggestions for tweaking that would not have negative side-effects or upset as many people as it pleased.

[/rant]:D:bouncy:

Default Fair point...

Guess the real answer is to just take the rough with the smooth:bouncy:

Edit: I find that advertising your latest mini in the shouts column helps to crank your votes past 50 really quickly.... At least you have a bit of a safety net then...

Default True...but be warned..

Edit: I find that advertising your latest mini in the shouts column helps to crank your votes past 50 really quickly....
    Squinnying about your scores in the shoutbox will see them drop faster than Tony Blairs popularity:D

Default No need for me to post now...

THanks, FInn. You saved me a good deal of effort. :-)
    Originally posted by finn17
    [rant]
    Anything that restricts voting, such as having to leave a coment, will reduce the number of votes. Yes, this will remove the snipers...maybe..but it will also remove the nice friendly souls who dish out 9\'s and 10,s and believe me, they are in the majority.

A system that restricts voting below say 5, without leaving a comment, to all extents and purposes will mean half the population using a scale of 1-10 and the other half 5-10.

Everyone on the forums is a fanatic and rightly concerned about fairness, but the vast majority of people who use this site never look in the forums and just spend an hour or two looking at minis and voting on them.

If the management tighten up on the voting system, or start to make all sorts of rules...which lets face it..half the population will find fault with...Cmon will slowly degenerate into an elitest site and rapidly shoot up it\'s own arse like a few other mini sites I could mention.

This is \'Arakis\' designed to train the faithful...If you can cut the mustard here..you can cut it anywhere:D

Snipers are a hazard, they are a hazard to everyone...

To be honest...I suspect that far more scores are \'upped\' than \'downed\' by sycophantic friends etc...Should we then say that no one should be able to vote above 5 without leaving a comment?

The system is there..it has it\'s faults but, \'simple is efficient\' as they say.

I have yet to hear any suggestions for tweaking that would not have negative side-effects or upset as many people as it pleased.

[/rant]:D:bouncy: