Bending back metal swords/spears/etc.

Thread: Bending back metal swords/spears/etc.

Default Bending back metal swords/spears/etc.

I just purchased some metal minis on clearance, and several of them have bent swords/staffs/etc (some bent 90 degrees). Any suggestions on how to fix them?

The metal is typically soft. Just very carefully bend it back into shape. It's not very hard.

Yeah, normally you'd just bend them back carefully (going bit by bit) and you wouldn't have too much difficulty. A 90° bend is tough though, you could well get a couple of breakages with anything bent that much.

Einion

The slower you go the better chance the metal won't snap. If you only bend it part of the way and let it rest for a few hours before continuing, it'll help, but not a whole lot. Mainly, you want to make sure you don't score or gouge the metal around the bend, because then it'll snap really easy, so, be careful with the pliers. Try wrapping some tape around the jaws to be safe, couple layers.

There's an interesting one: pliers or fingers better for this? I'd normally use my fingers for most of it, then switch to pliers if needed to flatten out the metal across the original site of the bend but thinking about it I'm not sure if this is the best way to go.

Einion

I've used a 6 inch steel rule as a support to slowly bend swords etc back into correct shape.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if heating up the metal first would help soften it and prevent breakages. Anyone ever attempt that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    I haven't tried it, but I wonder if heating up the metal first would help soften it and prevent breakages. Anyone ever attempt that?
    Warming up does help (water/fingers, not a flame else it'll melt) as it makes the metal more mailable. It won't prevent breakages entirely, but providing you go slow I've never had metal fracture if I've taken the time to dunk it into a mug of hot water.

I was going to ask if there was maybe some placebo effect with heating but the melting point of some white metals is lower than I'd thought, so dunking in boiling water definitely seems to be worth a try.

Einion

I like using a hairdryer to heat the metal up a bit. It's a bit easier to control the temperature and you can get it a bit hotter than water. Please be careful with resin. If you are distracted, say a random wife attack, the model can collapse like the Wicked Witch of the West.