Dreadclaw Dop Pod

Thread: Dreadclaw Dop Pod

Default Dreadclaw Dop Pod

Hi fellas,
    Quick questions as i am a little unsure on this.

1 - Can i assault the turn i Deep Strike in with one of these bad boys?

2 - Do i have to disembark the turn i arrive from deep strike?

Think I am just confusing myself mainly but just be nice to have some clarification

Thanks fellas

1) kinda. It has the special rule "assault vehicle", so you can assault from it on a turn in which it moves (onto the table or otherwise), but it does not deploy by deep strike. It is a flyer, and deploys as such. It also has the "hover" special rule, so can move as a fast skimmer (I think. Double check the 40k rulebook on this.) I'm pretty sure that if you want to deploy infantry from a flyer you have to go into hover mode first, and that you can't move too fast when they get out.

2) no, you can stay embarked if you want. It's not a drop pod.

the rules are here, if you want to double check:
    http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Download...6thupdates.pdf
    Last edited by me_in_japan; 01-05-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Double checked rules. Initial post was wrong.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Quote Originally Posted by me_in_japan View Post
    1) kinda. It has the special rule "assault vehicle", so you can assault from it on a turn in which it moves (onto the table or otherwise), but it does not deploy by deep strike. It is a flyer, and deploys as such. It also has the "hover" special rule, so can move as a fast skimmer (I think. Double check the 40k rulebook on this.) I'm pretty sure that if you want to deploy infantry from a flyer you have to go into hover mode first, and that you can't move too fast when they get out.

2) no, you can stay embarked if you want. It's not a drop pod.

the rules are here, if you want to double check:
    http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Download...6thupdates.pdf
    I'm certain the one in the heresy betrayal has deep strike. I'll have to double check. Shame i dont have it with me

They can deep strike Just called a mate and got him to check for me
    So I assume i can deep strike in, disembark my contemptor and charge in. All on the same turn

While an Assault Vehicle allows disembarking models to assault, it does not negate the Deep Strike prohibition on assault. So no deep strike and assault unless it has a special rule that specifically allows it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamemurp View Post
    While an Assault Vehicle allows disembarking models to assault, it does not negate the Deep Strike prohibition on assault. So no deep strike and assault unless it has a special rule that specifically allows it.
    Ah ok, Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now its pointed out like that it does make sense.
    So...... If I deep strike a unit with the flyer rule do they deep strike straight into hover mode or can i choose?
    Sorry for the barrage of dumb questions, just wanna make sure I have this 100% correct as I have a game tomorrow

Thanks again for all the help fellas

See the rulebook under Fliers. A flier must choose whether they are in hover mode or or zooming at the start of each Movement phase. If you deep strike, you cannot move further so if you choose zooming, you would wreck since you cannot move 18 inches. You can return to zooming at the beginning of the next turn (unless Immobilized).