Failcast no more?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failcast no more?

Default Failcast no more?

Hello
    Well we all know the reputation of GW and their awful failcast, whereas their plastics seem to be near the very top in regards to quality and detail. I, like the majority of ex GW users, have long since moved on to much better figures and much better paints. I have and still buy Forgeworld products, and have always been pleased, so I'm not a 100% GW hater.

Which in turn pleases me to say the following: I received 2 finecast (yes, they were finecast, rather than failcast) for Xmas. A new Dark Apostile and a Huron Blackheart. Both were perfect! I studied them under my magnifying glasses, and not 1 air bubble or dodgy join! Maybe I am the luckiest person going (or my wife is as she bought them) or have GW finally sorted out their processes?

Has anyone else been brave enough to buy a finecast and found them to be actually good?
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
    Lance Armstrong

The problem was never that EVERY finecast mini was flawed. Just too many of them to be acceptable for a premium priced figure. With that many returns, they'd be crazy to not try to improve the process. Did your wife check the boxes before buying perhaps?

A couple of my mates also bought some new Dark Angels Finecast figs. No complaints from them so far, unlike when Finecast first came out.

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

They have reduced the amount of air bubbles and mould slippage. However to get rid of air bubbles they have added lots (and I mean LOTS) of little gates across the model, this wouldn't be too bad (aside from extra clean up) however the worst areas for bubbles where the detailed areas, so now the detail gets obliterated by gates rather than bubbles. End result is if you buy it your probably going to have to sculpt detail back in. The process is still not good enough and is still I'm sure just a stop gap measure.

Have they done this with all of the batches they release now? A friend bought a new box of recently Howling Banshees and they were unfortunately dreadful, but I don't know how long it has been sitting on the shelf.

Many gates doesn't sound like a solution that will work for many lotr miniatures and other very detailed miniatures for said reasons? Better perhaps for Space marines or similar?

i´ve started to see higher quality failcast aswell. the games day minis were all perfect for me, and i mean perfect. however, one of finecasts bigger issues seem to be things like banner poles, swords and other long, slim parts. these have been bendy as hell and hard to deal with.

the quality of finecast is still ridiculous considering the prices, compared to other companies that make loads cheaper models.

the plastic models are honestly why i still buy gw, some of them are just superb. few other companies can keep up with gw when it comes to plastic.

I recently did a 3rd Mephiston conversion and the Finecast was very awesome!

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

So far ive had a Draigo and a 25th anniversary model and both were perfect. On the other hand i had a castallen crowe that was so bad it put me off painting the model.

On the whole though i still am not too worried about purchasing fine cast at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ischa View Post
    i´ve started to see higher quality failcast aswell. the games day minis were all perfect for me, and i mean perfect.
    they were? lucky you. as for games day, i actually got 3 copies of the gamesday only space marine model. they all got some rather big flaws and all on the same areas which is pretty interesting.
    only good finecast ive got so far is ogres. worst are the lotr minis.
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Agreed. All the Games Day specials I looked at (at Games Day, mind you) had visible flaws. I'm amazed they put them out in the store area. Must think the buyers are blind or dumb.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I have yet to see a finecast mini that I would consider acceptable for a cheap price let alone the premium they charge. Haven't looked lately but even with a perfect cast, unless it was a solid, blocky mini, you run the risk of it warping. Sod that
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Can I ask, globally, of everyone here, why you still purchase products you know are over-priced and poor quality?

When I have bought finecast, it is because that is all there is of that mini, and I want it to play with it, in a game of warhammer 40k, and not have to substitute. Honestly, there aren't many minis for which this is necessary unless you want the new stuff, like new necron characters, some orc characters, etc. I get by with mostly plastics, and old metal minis.

I was at a local hobby store yesterday carefully scrutinising the GW Fine Cast miniatures, and was surprised to note that I couldn't detect any major casting concerns. However, I was laughing at the exorbitant/extortionate prices! They're ludicrously overpriced!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yxalitis View Post
    Can I ask, globally, of everyone here, why you still purchase products you know are over-priced and poor quality?
    i hardly ever buy finecast, only own a few finecast minis i bought just because i really liked the mini. what to do, right?
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

In response to an earlier question. My wife said she just went into the local GW store, asked them for a couple of figures that I can paint red! and the fella in the store just grabbed two figures off the wall! so maybe the quality is there (finally?) too expensive though, way too expensive
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
    Lance Armstrong

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

Who said we bought them? The experiences I have is from helping a friend with poor eyesight look over his purchases to try to get him the best of what little quality exists and so GW staff don't fob him off saying its ok.

Not everyone does.
    There are many of us who have been approached to paint items as Commissions, and it's a fool who bites the hand that in effect is feeding him.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Overpriced they are but I don't buy new miniatures so often, so it doesn't that matter much to me. I haven't made any principal decision not to buy them. If the miniature has a good cast I, as I've said some times now, really like working with the material overall. If I like the miniature I want resin like detailing of course.

Price of course has an impact though, I was thinking of buying the white council though but the pricing was just too much to swallow when I'm not sure that I will paint all of them.

Never had, never will
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg