How do you make Milliput cement?

Thread: How do you make Milliput cement?

Default How do you make Milliput cement?

I have heard that a lot of painters when filling the gabs in their miniatures uses milliput instead of green stuff.

The way i heard it described is that they mix milliput and water in order to make it a sort of cement that can be molded into the gabs.

That sounded great so i got a hold of some Milliput Silver Grey mixed it then took a brush dipped it in water and tried to mix it all i got for my troubles was some water in the color of milliput.

Now i obviously did it wrong but what is the right way to do it, should i poor some water in a cup and put some milliput in that and stir or how exactly do you make milliput liquid enough so that you can use a brush to add it to the miniature??

Milliput should combine very easily with water to make a slurry, especially if it has just been mixed (ditto with MagicSculp and Apoxie Sculpt too by the way) and actually one you've got Milliput-coloured water you've either done it or you're most of the way there.

To get a consistent result I usually pull off a small blob with the tip of a sculpting tool, add a drop of water to this and then mix it with the tool, somewhat like you'd mix mortar with a trowel.

If you'll be applying this by brush do make sure it's not with a decent one, you may not be able to clean off all traces of the Milliput and it won't be much use for regular tasks after this.

Einion

no if you want to made some milliput cement make something like this with the milliput and mix (with water and a brush ) until you have what you want

but I think if you only want to fill some gap , it is not necessary , use the milliput like this and after use some abrasive paper . ( nt : you can smooth it with water and a brush )

The way I do it is to take a milliput ball and use your finger to make a little indention. Put in just a drop of water and use an old brush to mix it up until you get to the right consistency. Sounds like you are using too much water.

Zach

Maybe the milliput i got a hold of was just too old.
    Because no matter how much i try to stir the milliput just won´t absorb the water sure it will slow disolve into a paint water like substance, but no matter what i do it won´t get that slurry consistence.

You have to mix it...with something harder than a brush...to break it up in the water. If it isn't all hard and dried out before you mix it, it should work great. Once it is broken up and mixed into the water, then you can use the brush to apply it to the miniature, filling in gaps and pits and such.

You know, or you could just get Squadron putty or drywall compound or Tamiya putty or a thousand other creamy slurry consistency putties that are sold for the exact purpose you want to make Miliput serve...strait out of the container with no mixing or fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Erikjust
    Maybe the milliput i got a hold of was just too old.
    I was wondering whether that might be the case - Milliput isn't famous for having a long shelf life. Probably just need to put more elbow grease into the mixing. I used to use basically the same method as diagrammed above, and with freshly-mixed putty the drop of water nearly absorbs by itself if you just leave it for a minute or so.

If one or both rolls of your Milliput have a dry, sort of scabby skin on them they're aged and ideally you should try to get them replaced by the vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietiManes
    You know, or you could just get Squadron putty or drywall compound or Tamiya putty or a thousand other creamy slurry consistency putties that are sold for the exact purpose you want to make Miliput serve...strait out of the container with no mixing or fuss.
    True enough, but few of those are that strong and none bond as well as Milliput should.

Einion

P.S. Quick test of your putty. You have Silver-Grey, that's a light grey-blue colour right?

Try mixing a fresh batch - just a blob the size of a pea will do - and once thoroughly blended nip off a tiny chunk, dab water on it and leave it for a short while. It should have become much softer and nearly dissolved into the water, plus the colour should have become lighter, nearly white.

Einion

hi,

in my experience the green miliput works beter like this then the white one.