Video Game characters - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video Game characters

It's a real treat to see what you can do with some putty and some files. Really inspiring stuff here.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Wow. Great technique. Thanks for posting this.

really nice work!

tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

I can't believe i was missing this thread! Great conversions.. the process used to create the weapons is very inspiring, great technique.

-Lawrence

Thank you guys!

I forgot to mention: you can use plasticard instead of metal (it's easier to cut and file). In fact, once you have some vector blueprints (I use Illustrator but any vector drawing software will do) they can be done by laser cutting.

Let's see, the Necromancer got a ribcage bone armour:

And Imperius got his halo

I used a copper washer to do it, canted the outer edges with a flat jewelry file, and attached it with pins to the back armour plates. That way it has two fixing points. Then added some details with greenstuff.

I wasn't sure about how the Auriel conversion was turning out. The base miniature that the client suggested seemed a little bulky, and full of surface details which I was supposed to remove without damaging the shape beneath them.
    Too much milling cutting and resculpting, start a new sculpture seemed a better option:

Finally, I made some heavenly bases for the angels.

First I carved a pattern on a plastic plate, then press-molded some epoxi clay over it. Once it cured, cracked the edges and then glued them on cork.

Some neet minis Atgill. Very nice character to them.

Thanks KruleBear

Things are speeding up here! Made some progress on the Necromancer's base

he's supposed to be in a cemetery / wasteland. I first thought of adding some crosses or gravestones, but there isn't that much space in that base. Also, it's a gaming figure, a subtle enviroment reference will be enough.

Assembling the heavenly bases for a fit ckeck, plus some minor advances on Auriel

And this commission is starting to take shape. That makes me happy.

But the angels still lack of their wings. For those unfamiliar with the game art, these are represented as light tentacles, flowing energy beams coming out of their back.

I started by drilling some 1mm holes in the back of Tyrael

And carefully bending 1mm aluminium wire, shaped some curves ressembling the overall shape / contour of each one of the characters. It was quite complex to achieve continuous, spatial curves and make them look good from different angles.
    Watching the references, I found out that each of this characters has a particular outline of the wings.

The effect is far from finished, but you get the idea.

these are some truly awe inspiring conversions and have completly enjoyed watching them progress keep up the fantastic work
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Continuing with the construction of the wings, I build up the flowing energy texture in gradual stages, using the wires as an armature.
    Carefully adding crystal glue over the wires (I used a toothpick), and allowing it to dry between each stage, you can control the thinckness and fluency of each tentacle (this latter is the reason why I didn't use greenstuff to do this effect).

Nearly finished...

Finished the wings effect on the angels, some more details here and there... and the conversion stage is done!

Thank you!

Meanwhile, I've finished painting Arthas:

And added some snow / icicles effects to the base.

Kewl, I had to stare at the fargin icehole Lich King for about 2 minutes when he glitched on a raid, and this is brings back shivers of that event. Because it hasn't been asked- I notice that it looks like you're mixing the Greenstuff with another putty.. can you share with us what it is and the average mix ratio? I know people mix it "to taste" a lot for themselves, but I'm curious as to what's worked for others. I found mixing too much Aves into GS means I'll be waiting awhile before it hardens.

Well, keep up the great work!

I use two types of modelling putty. The well known green stuff, and other one called just "epoxy clay". Both are epoxy clay, I think green stuff has some silicone in its formula (to resist high temperature and hence that wax-like texture, but just guessing).
    The other one, I'm not sure if it's what the rest of the world knows as brown stuff, or milliput. Two components (brown and white), not very elastic, hard and good to file, cut or sand when dry.
    They both can mix together, and that is what I mostly use to sculpt. For some details I go for the green stuff alone, and big shapes and volumes, the khaki stuff (?).

The packaging looks like this:

It comes in two commercial formats: 250g, wrapped in film and foil as shown in the photo, inside a box with the brand (Suprabond) printed on it. If you buy 500g, it's only the four blocks of clay (two brown and two white), each one wrapped individually, and the four of them put together in an aluminium foil bag, finally sealed with transparent shrinkable plastic (?). No box, no brand, for large-scale buyers only.

I worked with this one for some years (http://coolminiornot.com/247604) until discovered green stuff and the possibilities mixing both.

Suprabond makes an assorted range of glues, plumbers putty, etc. This one is known as the artisan's one. My hypotesis is this:
    There are two kinds of resins used with fiberglass: epoxi and polyester. I had the opportunity to use both of them, and the epoxi resin takes 50% base resin, and 50% catalyst. (Interesting, same proportions as the clay). If used to make volumes (casting for example), it tends to remain sticky many days after the catalysis is done. To avoid this and also economize resin (it's quite expensive), you usually have to add some bulk (not sure if it's the right word). It's a powder, inert, normally calcium carbonate (ressembles talcum, or flour). It doesn't interact with the chemical reaction, just thickens the mixture depending on how much you add. And (finally get to the point), I once poured a little too much extra, and the resin became... a clay! I'm almost sure this subject is just epoxi/y resin with bulk added to each component separately. I think the same goes to green stuff, but that formula surely contains some silicon, the texture reminds me of the coating for high-temperature resistant cables, and it's supposed to withstand the vulcanization process.

Some process pictures

Since they are part of the same group, I decided to paint them together. Most of the time it seems a bad decision, as it is taking me too long to finish.

On the other hand, I think it's a good way to give them some cohesion, adjusting the color palette of each one as the painting progresses.

Also, I have to make three different NMM golden armours. Looks like a good chance to practice how to get NMM gold with different tones.

Coming along well Atgill. Currently the witch doctor is my favorite.

Some more progress on both Tyrael figures, and the barbarian

Wow! So not just a great sculptor then eh?
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo