Badger Minitaire paints - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Badger Minitaire paints

The ghost tints were a bit glossier but not a candy coat.

Hmm, still want to try them out, they sound like they will do great on my Relic Knights stuff, so I guess I will just have to invest in a set.

I would have liked a real candy coat, but it sounds like I am going to have do some work to get that to happen.

Hell, I got some extra marines. Ill paint one silver and hit it with a blue ghost tint.

and something extra, my new paint rack with the minitaire paint in it:

Nice looking work area

Skin that table with Formica and it'll make a great mixing palette.

Einion

Here are my tests. THe left one was sprayed chrome silver and right gun alloy. They were then sprayed with the blue ghost tint. The first problem I had was with chrome silver. It was terrible and would not come out even with the trigger all of the way back. Gun alloy performed fine, so hopefully it's only my chrome silver that is affected.

Sorry for the poor picture quality but these definitely look candy coated

I like it, I will get some for the upcoming projects.
    Like a mosquito at a nudest camp, you know what you have to do, but no idea where to start.

did you make those shelves? thats an incredible setup

Quote Originally Posted by czebas View Post
    did you make those shelves? thats an incredible setup
    I helped a bit, my mom's boyfriend did most of the work.

That aside, here's a WIP thread on the dragonpainting forums for the chimera I'm working on. http://www.dragonpainting.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3986 I've done mostly all minitaire paints on it so far. Other than that one bottle of chrome silver I've had absolutely no problem with them, everything comes out great.

After reading this thread, still not sure if I should change from Valejo Air. Does anyone know of a color chart equivalent to GW/Valejo maybe I'll just get a few colors first.

SOLD! On the ghost tints anyway. This will make my Alpha Legion minis go way faster than with the glazes over metal I currently use. Thanks for throwing those up!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    SOLD! On the ghost tints anyway. This will make my Alpha Legion minis go way faster than with the glazes over metal I currently use. Thanks for throwing those up!

I think your the 4th person I've "sold" these paints to. Still absolutely love them. If they matched GW colors a bit more I'd be even happier.

Just got the full set and looking forward to really using them. Previously, I used them mainly for airbrushing, but also was able to use them pretty effectively with a paintbrush. It had the same consistency with a bit watered down Reaper paints which I use for layering.

One note, the satin is a lot glossier than the vallejo satin. I think it would be just right to mix the Satin with the Flat 1:1 to get it to about the same level as the vallejo stuff. Will do some experimentation with it.

Thought this would be useful, since I find it a bit easier than pulling up an image of a paint chart. I converted the color chart into a Google doc with the equivalent color hex value. Let me know if anyone finds this valuable, I'm thinking about doing this for other paint tables as well.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Zab, I know this was a long time ago, but can you show me some examples of the Alpha Legion you are talking about? I saw the pic you posted previously in this thread of the blue guy. Strange enough, I referenced that exact mini on my WIP this week. Small world. Anyway, if you could show me how you did with this effect, I'd appreciate it.

Also of a strange coincidence, this thread was resurrected today. I read it before heading off to my local hobby store. I go there all the time to just look at their painting and basing goods. Well, lo' and behold, they haven't received anything new for awhile , but they did have some Minitaire ghost paints that just came in. And some Freakflex transparent paint. Strange.

Just a really quick update from me. Gave them a pretty good run last night and kept running into dry tip since I were using them straight out of the bottle. Will try using them again this evening with a bit of vallejo thinner. Also using them at 20 PSI was pretty good. Maybe I should experiment with this as well.

What PSI are others using here?

Just noticed this today. I bought a set of flesh tones last year, and bought the full set this year. I noticed that the colors didn't really match up. This was a bit troubling...

Tried to mix the Fairy Tale flesh as much as I could. That's not that bad. But with Humanoid Flesh you notice the difference. With Rugged Skin, the difference is very noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by iconsam View Post
    Gave them a pretty good run last night and kept running into dry tip since I were using them straight out of the bottle.
    I've been trying to do some nmm with my badger minitaire and tip dry is kicking the shit out of me. I'm trying 1/2 vallejo thinner with 1/2 distilled water, i've tried a recipe from arsies studio for thinner, and i've tried minitaire retarder and some combination of all three. How can you defeat minitaire tip dry?!?!!

PS HOLY SHIT THOSE SKIN TONES ARE DIFFERENT

Massive difference in the rugged skin there. The other two wouldn't bother me that much but that one is massively different.

I think tip dry is almost inevitable when using an airbrush. I say almost because the ambient conditions you spray in will have an impact. I've been doing some here (Tasmania, Aus) in winter just in the last couple of weeks and having tip dry up the wazoo. I just keep a Q-Tip soaked in simple green water mix (25%/75%) handy and clean the needle tip very regularly. This has the added bonus of slowing me down some and making me consider the layers I'm applying more.