Badger Minitaire paints
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Badger Minitaire paints

Default Badger Minitaire paints

Seems like these are designed for airbrush use and are brand new. Has anyone had a chance to use them yet?

I've seen them mentioned one place only: http://blog.spikeybits.com/2013/01/t...-painting.html

The article has a link through to their store. US$3.19 for more than triple the contents of a Vallejo bottle. No actual quantity found.

Hoping it proves to be an interesting product.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 01-25-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link, they look very interesting.

God, there is just so much wrong in that article! And then it compounds the problem and reads like a puff piece *__*

Anyway that aside, I'm always wary of new-to-the-market paints but that volume for that price is enough to pique interest certainly given the competition and that they're from Badger may be enough to convince that they'd be worth a, ahem, shot. But still be aware you're actually not really getting that much paint for your money.

BTW they're called Minitaire, not Militaire, would be worth editing the thread title if you can Kalidane.

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    BTW they're called Minitaire, not Militaire, would be worth editing the thread title if you can Kalidane.
    Sorted it.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I think it looks quite interesting. I'm a lazy sod, so the "no cutting" bit really appeals to me . I'll most definitely get some Ghost Tints to play around with - the tinting is interesting to me, but if it turns out to be just a glaze, then, well, stuff me.

Quote Originally Posted by gohkm
    I'll most definitely get some Ghost Tints to play around with - the tinting is interesting to me, but if it turns out to be just a glaze, then, well, stuff me.
    I'm sure that's exactly what they'll be - take any reasonably transparent paint, spray a thin layer and it'll slightly colour the area you're applying it to (same thing as glazing done with a brush). I'm not in favour, as in a very real way you're paying for more water.

Einion

Blog Entries

I'm sure that's exactly what they'll be - take any reasonably transparent paint, spray a thin layer and it'll slightly colour the area you're applying it to (same thing as glazing done with a brush). I'm not in favour, as in a very real way you're paying for more water.

Einion
    You are also paying for saved time & convenience. Not to mention the wasted paint that goes down the drain getting the ratio correct.

I do agree, that "article" sounds more like an advertisement than and information piece.

For some info on the Minitaire paints check out http://www.youtube.com/user/awesomep.../videos?view=0 specificly the I hate Panting yellow and I Hate Painting Red. Also check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBf62BWuNV4. Take it with a grain of salt though as both painters are sponored by Badger.

Ooops thanks for the typo-fix. That would explain why my googling gave me nothing haha

Yes definite puff piece.

If the paint is at a useful level of dilution for brush painting then I'd like to try a couple out just to see how user friendly they are.

At the end of the day though, I really have far too much with RMS, CDA, and VMC to get too excited about the new new thing.
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

Clearly...the absolute last thing I need in my life is....a new Barry Manilow album.

Second on that list would be yet another new line of f***ing hobby paint.

Especially since I already have Badger's Freak Flex line of airbrush paints.
    Last edited by cfwheeler58; 02-06-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: I can't spehl

I am not sponsored by Badger, but I've been using the Minitaire line for 2-ish months now. Lots of pros, lots of cons. Here's my breakdown:

+ Great value. Bottles are 30 oz instead of the usual 16 oz or 17oz. From what I've heard, bottles will sell individually for $3.33, so that's pretty good pricing. However, the paints are really thin so there's a lot of water in there compared with VGC, Citadel, Reaper, P3, etc.

+ Vibrant, saturated, bold colors that are ready for the airbrush. VMA paints are great, but they are more muted and it's a lot of earth tones. This line has pinks and purples and turquoises and that kind of thing. It's awesome for wargamers who like bright, colorful tones.

+ The Ghost Tints (pre-thinned inks, essentially) are nice. I have really taken to using inks to shade, saturate, and tint colors, so it's nice having a dozen colors to work with.

+ Copper, brass and gold metallics that actually LOOK LIKE copper, brass and gold. The VMA silvers are awesome, but the other metallics are huge misfires. It'll be great to have airbrush-ready metallics that don't look ridiculous.

- They clog more often than VMA. And, for that matter, about as often as P3. What's the point of airbrush-ready paints that have problems with clogging? I still thin them at least 1:1 (usually more) and they clog. I don't get it. ESPECIALLY the Ghost Tints. How do the ghost tints give me so much trouble!? That's weird.

- Separation is awful. Just as bad as VGC, if not worse. You'll need to shake these bad boys a lot before each use. And forget using them on a palette with a regular brush, unless you want to constantly stir them.

- Silvers are not nearly as good as the VMA silvers. There are only 6 lines in their metallic range (2 silvers, 2 golds, and a copper and brass). I think VMA has twice that.

- I HATE THE BOTTLES SO MUCH. They made a RIDICULOUS choice to heavily frost or tint the bottles. What that means is that the colors look significantly different outside the bottle than they do on the shelf. So you can't just look at the bottles and choose a color. They're not even close. And the Ghost Tints, again, are the worst. There are 6 of the inks that look EXACTLY THE SAME. No exaggeration -- the red, brown, black, teal, blue, and purple are indistinguishable just by looking at the bottle (though the tones are all obviously very different).

Overall, the Minitaire line is pretty good, but I can't recommend going out and buying them to replace paints you've already got. If you need bright, colorful tones, your P3 paints work just fine through the airbrush (though I wish they were in dropper bottles). Same goes for Reaper (though those are already in droppers). I've grown more and more disenfranchised with using VGC through the airbrush, so if that's all you've got then this is a good set to get. But if you want muted, military shades and earth tones, VMA is the better choice.
    Last edited by jabbayoda; 03-10-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Came off like a dick when I didn't mean to

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review. I found this set on Amazon but they are out of stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Bru.../dp/B00AX5H86G

Thanks for that overview jabbayoda, I suspect your opinion is pretty much going to sum it up. I think this stuff would have to be a great paint to really be worth investing in but given some of the negatives, not so much.

When you mention clogging, is this tip dry specifically? I just don't get why these paints specifically would be prone to that, that makes no sense!

As far as this bit goes:
    Quote Originally Posted by jabbayoda
    - I HATE THE BOTTLES SO MUCH. They made a RIDICULOUS choice to heavily frost or tint the bottles. What that means is that the colors look significantly different outside the bottle than they do on the shelf. So you can't just look at the bottles and choose a color. They're not even close.
    To be fair, they don't make them they just buy them in from suppliers and that's what these bottles are like - exactly the same as the 2 fl. oz. bottles common to craft paints and some other acrylics that don't come in tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbayoda
    And the Ghost Tints, again, are the worst. There are 6 of the inks that look EXACTLY THE SAME. No exaggeration -- the red, brown, black, teal, blue, and purple are indistinguishable just by looking at the bottle (though the tones are all obviously very different).
    Any paints that are very dark in masstone like this as going to share this problem because their colouration is only evident in undercolour (used thinly).

Einion

Thanks for the review. I love how Les used the red and yellow at APJ, but then I thought I could probably achieve the same result with some glazes over the same kind of two tone preshaded base coat and have a bit more control of my color saturation. I am kind of impatient with glazes and washes though and the Ghost tints are appealing to that side of my personality. One pass cure all? Hmmm, seems too good to be true...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Thanks for the review. I love how Les used the red and yellow at APJ, but then I thought I could probably achieve the same result with some glazes over the same kind of two tone preshaded base coat and have a bit more control of my color saturation. I am kind of impatient with glazes and washes though and the Ghost tints are appealing to that side of my personality. One pass cure all? Hmmm, seems too good to be true...

I purchased these (and even then, mainly for the Ghost Tints) and I am pretty disappointed. Even the Ghost Tints are lackluster, and while it's clear big names in the wargaming community are getting paid to promote them, I still feel Vallejo Air are the best bang for the buck.

Damn. That's too bad. I already find the Air brush to be more of a chore than the brush and I was hoping these would help push me along. Oh well, I will have to stick with pacing back and forth while waiting for each layer glaze to dry

Quote Originally Posted by Zab
    I already find the Air brush to be more of a chore than the brush...
    Yeah, airbrushing can have a very high effort-to-results ratio.

Einion

Blog Entries

Yeah, airbrushing can have a very high effort-to-results ratio.

Einion
    It certainly can be, but it can also be very rewarding on the same scale if used for what it's good for. There are things I do now with an airbrush that I find much better and faster than brush painting (priming and sealing for sure, and basecoating/highlighting in some cases, with more as I get more practiced with the gun). Like all things, it's a tool, not an instant "Golden Daemon Winner" shortcut.

I also ordered a set of the Minitaire paints, and they should be arriving this week finally. I can't wait to try them out, and I'm hoping I won't be too terribly disappointed. I love my Vallejo Model Air, and the P3 do a decent job when thinned with Golden Airbrush Medium, too, but more paints to choose from isn't a bad thing, right? RIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by Valander
    It certainly can be, but it can also be very rewarding on the same scale if used for what it's good for. There are things I do now with an airbrush that I find much better and faster than brush painting...
    Yeah, better and faster sums up my thoughts on why an airbrush is worth using for miniatures. And like you say, for the things it's appropriate for.

Einion

I use mine for priming (frankly i'll never go back to primer from a can now that I've used Vallejo) and sealing. The problem i find is that it doesn't actually save time. Any time made up bascoating and highlighting is lost when you get to shading & details because you have to be so careful not to screw up the air brush coat when painting the details. I also picked a split color scheme to my current marines and have yet to find a decent way to mask the highly detailed surfaces sufficiently. I bet I'll use it more when i get into a solid batch painting of an army with one dominant color though.