MAXXxxx WIPs - Page 2
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MAXXxxx WIPs

And I'm finished with the challenge. I actually managed to paint all 400pts of figures, that make a valid 'army' for play.

Name:  Ophidians_web.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  216.7 KB

I really was an experience on focusing on a task. It looks like I don't like to paint the same kind of figure again and again and again and...
    But here I had basically 8 of them (and the 2 ophidian archers... one would have been really fun, but 2... they are really the same). So it was HARD to focus, to concentrate, but managed the task, so I'm happy.

Altough painting is far from the top and my photography sucks, I'll upload the image for voting too, just to see how others like them.

And a little extra. I saw from others the images where they show how they painted a figure when they were beginners and how they paint the same figure now.
    Sadly I couldn't find the before image anywhere, so that leaves the after one

Name:  40K_Varras_Repaint.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  76.0 KB

I pretty much like how he turned out.

M.

Great work, well done on such a big paint !
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

They all look great as a group and that is really the point with an army. Hell, you would never play if you had to paint each one to showcase quality. I like the aquilla pilot too, those vials are boss!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Blog Entries

That umbrella came out great! It really looks almost translucent.

Lovely paint job there. It's nice to see a large set of minis painted to such a high standard.

Cheers
    will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Very nice to see some ... euhm ... skekses painted well. I like the color scheme.

New WIP

This time "Einstein" from figone.

Name:  EinsteinWIP.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  92.7 KB

To be honest I consider it more or less finished (I want to varnish it to protect + to add gloss to the goggles + eyes) but if anyone has any idea what I should change please tell.

One thing that's not really good are the teeth, they almost get lost with the similar colored skin. But I'm not sure if I want to change that or leave it as part of the plan.

An albino ork, now I've seen it all. Looks great! I wouldn't change the teef.

I like the color transition from the pink/purple to this creamy white. Eyes expression is excellent! I would not change too... Metal is great, maybe just the leather shoulder belt to add bit more of highlight to make them popping out from the red cloth.

Looks great man. That is not a color scheme i would have expected on that bust, but you have certainly pulled it off. Well done.

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

That is an awesome skin tone. Well done.

Top job, like every above comments, the skin is great very smooth.

thank you for all the comments.

I started with another bust, this time Knucklehead from forgedmonkey. I didn't want to copy the tattoos from Picster, so I had the wonderful idea of using actual ones instead of those Picster painted on his version.
    So I asked "my best friend" google : russian prison tatttoos
    I got a pretty good compendium that lists the tipical tattoos and where are they normall on a human body, BUT... after selecting a few I'd like to see on my version I checked the official painting and it has exactly the same tattoos AND correctly placed.
    So I think Picster used the same image/pdf for reference too.

I still want to do something different, so my question is does anyone has any idea what I could use to freehand the skin on a westener tough guy? some kind of gang icons, that are not too intricate (as I'm a beginner with freehands).

thanks for any ideas that will be mentioned.
    For today I'll just prepare/prime/basecoat the skin.

Maybe black iron tats. They can have a kind of white power type connotation to them so be careful what sites you hit when researching them. I would say tribal tat's, but that's the most obvious and played out kind of thing you could do - it is the simplest though.

first shadows for Knucklehead.

Name:  KnuckleheadWIP_1.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  99.1 KB

Blog Entries

I have this guys on order and waiting for him to come in so I will be watching your progress. Very nice start BTW.

He looks like a real bruiser, neat bust.

Okay with the tats. maybe a japanese wind pattern? simple...

might be a bit girly though unless you drop the cherry blossoms. Of course it could be a good juxtaposition too. Or try a simplified version of this...

or some different tribal. less traditional but might be different enough to work...

hope that helps/inspires

Hi, thanks for the tat-ideas. I went with a more or less tribal one as it is much easier to do (while still more than I normally can do, so in a way I do push my limits)

Anyway the current WIP:

Name:  KnuckleheadWIP_2Web.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  83.7 KB

I wanted to highlight the tats to is't a bit more than just painted on. I'm pretty sure I overhighlighted the right side (left on the pic). so I'll have to shade it again with a darker colors.
    so todo list:
    - make the tattoo darker
    - erase pencil marks
    - gloss the eyes
    - anything else you suggest and is within my possibilities

All in all I like how it is so far.

tattoos:
    - front-left: one I found with google
    - front-right: a bit based on the anime blood trinity, but is good as a tribal one too
    - back: based on the "symbol of torment" from the planescape-torment game.
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 06-09-2013 at 03:12 PM.

That's great work. I would bring the contrast up a bit on the finer one, but not too much. Remember that tattoos of different ages do fade AND if they are prison tats they may fade more than others due to prisoners not really having great access to high quality inks