Airbrush (choices choices)

Thread: Airbrush (choices choices)

Default Airbrush (choices choices)

Hi all,

after getting some tips from another post. I woul dlike to invest in an Airbrush & Compressor.

But BAM!!!! soo much choice, and differences. now im just starting out again into the mini painting and have neva airbrushed before.

Main question what to look for in the Airbrush & Compressor and what to avoid.

I have this link http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com/...n6dcb68kg8atm7

would any from there be a good starter kit, also I live in The Netherlands so if there are any recomendations that are local thats great too.
    http://www.airbrush-services-almere....nts/nl/d1.html offer lots of stuff, also they offer a days course in Airbrushing ( would this be worth the investment or just lots of trial and error, have plenty of old minis back from my school days).

Hope to get some great advice.

For airbrush I'd recommend harder and steenbeck. They are about the same quality (some say better, some don't), but are made in the Eu, thus it makes replacements / service easier and cheaper.
    I also love how they made it, it's much easier to disassemble - clean - assemble then the iwata's I've tried (basically easier to maintain).
    Just one extra advice on the AB: if you use it with GW/Vallejo acrilycs, then you'd better get a .3 or greater needle+nozzle. They clog those that are smaller really easily. (My favorite "HnS Infinity-solo" comes with 3 sets of needles and nozzles, so it could help).

As for compressor: It should have a tank and don't go cheap here. I think it's important to get the best you can afford.

Edit:
    one extra small thing. If you can get a CHEAP extra airbrush (like one from the store you linked, for 18.99). It could be really useful for primers/varnishes/other paints that could potentially ruin the main AB. Also good for backup / holding a second color for fast switching.
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 02-01-2013 at 04:17 AM.

If you've never airbrushed before my recommendation as always is to go with an Aztek.

But I'd strongly recommend you search through the many prior threads here as a start, there are loads of recommendations already on the site, with a lot of good additional info included (like the need for spare parts for traditional all-metal airbrushes).

Einion

I'm actually a man! Rose Model Art's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually had an Aztek before my Harder and Steenbeck infinity, and TBH i fell out with it, the 'ease' of the screw in nozzles always meant that i felt you never got the thing properly clean, and at the time i had to order spares online from the states and they took ages. However Hobbycraft in UK is now a stockist.

Its a good airbrush for large areas, so its my back up now.

I plumped for a Harder and Stenbeck Infinity with a 0.2 and an 0.4 needle\nozzle set.

Parts (seals etc) are easy to get online in UK, the company is German i think so parts shiping within EU will be quick.

Excellent brush, great control.

The compressor was from a company in the UK called little cars i think, its a double height one with the tank below the compressor contained in a metal shroud, very quiet and you can adjust pressure.

All in i was about £500 for the brush and comp, but will last a lifetime if cared for.

However decent IWATA or the metal bodied Aztec are good subs, i just couldnt get on with the resin bodies aztec, was too light

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Model Art View Post
    I actually had an Aztek before my Harder and Steenbeck infinity, and TBH i fell out with it, the 'ease' of the screw in nozzles always meant that i felt you never got the thing properly clean, and at the time i had to order spares online from the states and they took ages. However Hobbycraft in UK is now a stockist.

I plumped for a Harder and Stenbeck Infinity with a 0.2 and an 0.4 needle\nozzle set.

Parts (seals etc) are easy to get online in UK, the company is German i think so parts shiping within EU will be quick.

Excellent brush, great control.

The compressor was from a company in the UK called little cars i think, its a double height one with the tank below the compressor contained in a metal shroud, very quiet and you can adjust pressure.

All in i was about £500 for the brush and comp, but will last a lifetime if cared for.

However decent IWATA or the metal bodied Aztec are good subs, i just couldnt get on with the resin bodies aztec, was too light
    Being cheeky could post a link to the compressor you've got? I could do with a back up plan if mine ever dies (which I'm sure it will one day).

Blog Entries

Remind me on sunday, i will be at the GF's this weekend and i dont know the name of the thing of my head.

PM me and i will sort you out with the info

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Model Art
    I actually had an Aztek before my Harder and Steenbeck infinity, and TBH i fell out with it, the 'ease' of the screw in nozzles always meant that i felt you never got the thing properly clean...
    Gah, they're far easier to clean than a trad airbrush. With the added benefit of it being nearly impossible to bend a needle or damage the cone of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Model Art
    While they're not capable of the ultra-fine lines that some of the better metal airbrushes are, they'll do much more than just broad-area spraying. Anyway sprayed lines that fine are frequently unneeded by the hobbyist, especially if they're primarily going to be used for mins.

Since you mention the weight thing, always thought the gripes about the plastic ones being too light were funny - you never hear complaints that regular paintbrushes could do with being heavier! I guess it's a similar thing to mice, some people like them as light as possible (even leaving out the weights if they come with any) while others don't mind some heft.

Einion

i like my grex, easy to clean, hold, and use, they basicly took other peoples good ideas and put it into their series. Dont know if they are available in the EU.
    http://grexusa.com/grexairbrush/index.php5

Since you mention the weight thing, always thought the gripes about the plastic ones being too light were funny - you never hear complaints that regular paintbrushes could do with being heavier! I guess it's a similar thing to mice, some people like them as light as possible (even leaving out the weights if they come with any) while others don't mind some heft.
    I was comparing your comment to mice even before you mentioned them, that's funny. I always laugh at people who think mice need weights. But it is hard to argue with sales.

Hi all i see alot of starter sets with this compressor ....Werther TC108 as per link http://www.airo-flex.nl/airbrush-set...s-airbrush-set and this http://www.airo-flex.nl/airbrush-set...s-airbrush-set.

I could try and push for more budget but overl my choices are,

Sparmax 501 Membraam Compressor

Euro-Tec 10A Membraam Compressor

Werther TC108

again having no knowledge of whats best. would love to hear some input on these 3.

My max budget is around 250 Euro for compressor and pistol.

Are they loud when in use?

Quote Originally Posted by QuietiManes
    I was comparing your comment to mice even before you mentioned them, that's funny. I always laugh at people who think mice need weights. But it is hard to argue with sales.
    I have one myself... and all the weights are still in the lovely metal box they came in. I don't even have the plastic caddy inserted

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Tringur View Post
    Hi all i see alot of starter sets with this compressor ....Werther TC108 as per link http://www.airo-flex.nl/airbrush-set...s-airbrush-set and this http://www.airo-flex.nl/airbrush-set...s-airbrush-set.
    I've got one of those - they're pretty widely available. It's had a lot of use and works just fine. Moisture trap isn't the greatest but it's easy to replace. Main drawback is the lack of tank. You can get an identical compressor with a tank for not a great deal more. I'd go cheaper on the AB and buy a tanked compressor. The Infinity is great but total overkill. I have a pile of Iwatas, an Olympos, an Infinity and some Paasches that I've bought over the years - and they're all great. My favourite is still the cheap(er) Paasche Talon. Big, easy to hold, bullet proof, cheap spares, easy to clean and takes several needle/nozzle sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemunkie
    I've got one of those - they're pretty widely available. It's had a lot of use and works just fine. Moisture trap isn't the greatest but it's easy to replace. Main drawback is the lack of tank. You can get an identical compressor with a tank for not a great deal more.
    He might not know, what's the advantage of the tank?

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    He might not know, what's the advantage of the tank?

Einion
    Aye, not all clued up , but manage to find this..

http://www.powermate.com/air_compres...ying_guide.php

has a nice bit about Tanks. and Once again thanks for all the friendly tips / advice.

Blog Entries

I find the tank good so it means the compressor isnt on at all times, my one cuts in once pressure drops below a certain point, but even then its very quiet, just a sort of BBBBRRRRR noice for 2 mins then its off for say 5.