What things do I need to paint high elves?

Thread: What things do I need to paint high elves?

Default What things do I need to paint high elves?

I have a bunch of Warhammer high elves my friend's dad gave me and I've saved up $200.00 from recycling and shoveling drive ways and stuff like that to get paints and brushes and tools and stuff but there are allot of things at the store and i want to get the most best stuff for my my money so I was hoping that someone could help me out by telling me what I should buy.

Blog Entries

Oh my. So much info. Where to start?

Have a look at the sticky thread, Section 2 Materials and Prepping. That should get you on the right path:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...eads-Tutorials

Once you've had a good read through there, decide what you think you MUST have and post back with questions or a shopping list and refine your list from the input. Much easier than asking everyone what is a must have. It's very much a personal choice, as everyone well tell you differently what is a critical item for them!
    Last edited by Bloodhowl; 02-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

When you say in store, i get the feeling you mean in a GW shop. A little tip if you want the most bang for your buck - don't buy from GW! There will always be an equivalent which is cheaper and/or better
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

So, I think I'm going to get the following things.

1. 2,1,0 from the Da Vinci retouch series off of dickblick.com. We don't have an art store here just the gaming store.
    2. 3 or 4 files, the diamond, the flat, the round one and the triangle if I can find it
    3. brush cleaning stuff off of dickblick.com
    4. Krylon white Primer but my dad will have to get that for me
    5: Zap a gap glue

there are allot of threads on paints but all they have here are games workshop and AV Game which I haven't seen in the threads, but still what colors should I get for high elves?

Also thank you for the advice on the other threads, they were very helpful.

Blog Entries

Depending on what system of paint you go for, I would look for a set geared for Elves. Something like this:
    http://www.thewarstore.com/product56382.html

I thought GW released sets with their new line of paint? HA! Found it:
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...e=paints-tools

Hmm. Looks like you would need three sets (maybe four?) from GW: High Elves, Flesh and Steel ( and Gold). Also add a black and a white.

If not a set, then you should look for: black, white, red, blue, a flesh or elf flesh color, green, yellow, brown, silver and gold. That should allow you to get started, and by mixing paints, you can create different colors for shading and highlighting.

To help with your color selection, I would take a peek though the army book and find a scheme you like, then write down the colors and look for those. The army books still show different schemes and list the colors, yeah? Or did that get dropped in the latest books?
    Last edited by Bloodhowl; 02-04-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

For paints I'm a big fan of Reaper Master Series. They're not easy to find in stores so I usually order them online. If you buy them direct from Reaper, shipping is free if you order over $25 worth.

If I was painting high elves, I'd get some Reaper's fair skin set (fair shadow, fair skin, fair highlight), some whites (pure white and then polished bone and aged bone because I like using those tones instead of grey to shade my whites), a silver metallic (polished silver for example), and then some sort of accent color. Blues seem to be popular, but no reason you couldn't go with red or some other color. If you go with reaper you'll see that their colors often come in sets of three so you get a base color plus a highlight and a shadow. If you'd rather paint with GW paints, that's fine too. You can find similar colors there though I think they are a little more expensive. Either way you'll want a base, shadow, and highlight for skin, white, your accent color, and your silver metallic paint. Oh, and you can certainly use more colors... that's just what I'd say is the bare minimum.

You may also want to consider making a wet palette. You can buy them but they are far cheaper to make yourself (and not very hard). Here's a tutorial that shows you how: http://www.fullborerminiatures.com/a...etpalette.html
    You'll find plenty of other tutorials online.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightraid
    1. 2,1,0 from the Da Vinci retouch series off of dickblick.com. We don't have an art store here just the gaming store.
    These? If so those should be a good pick.

If you're ordering from Blick anyway their own line of brushes are worth trying.

Assuming you don't have any already I'd also strongly recommend you get some inexpensive synthetics (not necessarily from Blick, if you can pick up cheap ones locally they'll more than likely do the job perfectly well).

2. 3 or 4 files, the diamond, the flat, the round one and the triangle if I can find it
    Sets work out cheaper, usually much cheaper than buying individual files* ...doesn't matter that you probably won't ever use all the profiles!

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they may have some cheap Chinese-made needle files in stock, these can actually be pretty decent (but check them over carefully first, quality varies enormously, and you can often see one set with shoddy tips beside another which are much neater).

3. brush cleaning stuff off of dickblick.com
    What specifically were you planning on?

You actually don't need any commercial brushcleaners as a rule, when shampoo or common hand soap will wash a brush perfectly well. And you can then use regular hair conditioner to condition them if you want.

The main 'secret' to brush maintenance is rinsing properly as you go, rise thoroughly and often, because this is like a lot of things where prevention is better than cure.

See this current thread if you haven't already:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...lose-the-point

4. Krylon white Primer but my dad will have to get that for me
    Be careful which one you buy, Kylon make a wide range and there are numerous specific buy/avoid mentions on forums like this.

5: Zap a gap glue
    IME cheap superglues can be perfectly servicable, for way less than any name-brand one.

In case you don't know, if you'll be doing any plastics you can actually use a solvent for glue-up.

...but still what colors should I get for high elves?
    Well what colour do you want your elves to be?

*Last time I was in the US I got a second set for less that you'd typically pay for a single file.

Einion

While you probably don't need it right now, at some point you might want to pick up some green stuff or milliput for filling gaps when you assemble your figures. From what I remember, the basic high elf figures didn't need much gap filling if any. If you get a high elf on a dragon then you might find you need some sort of putty to fill the gaps. Those larger figures tend to have a few more issues when it comes to assembly.

If you're just painting elf horsemen, archers, and spearmen you can probably skip the putty for now.

Good point on the filler Bailey, although my recommendation would be MagicSculp over GS or Milliput as it's better for the job than the former and much cheaper than either.

In terms of other bits of equipment and supplies there's a laundry list unfortunately, including a sprue cutter of some kind, craft knife + blades (#10s much preferred to the usual #11 IMO), fine abrasives, something to shape/sculpt the putty with*, then pin vice, bits, paperclips or other wire... lotsa stuff.

*Can go entirely homemade for this no problem, so free or as close as makes no odds.

Einion

I have to figure out what things to tell my dad to buy since where I live things like spray paint and glue are off limits until you turn 18. I will look around for the avoid/buy information on the primers. All the elves I have are already put together and on the bases. Most of them are plastic, some are metal, like the ones with the lions on them. There's also a griffon but it is in pieces and it doesn't go together very well. I think I will have to do the pin thing with it, and even then there are big gaps in between the metal pieces.

Einion those are the brushes I was going to get. Should I get synthetics in the same sizes as the kolinsky brushes? After reading I will use unscented bar of soap, dish soap, and hair conditioner. With three sisters and a mom there is allot of conditioner in the house already.

Hey Nightraid,

check out this guys blog: http://mattsterbenz.blogspot.com/. Scroll down a little and he has his highelves with some colors he used to paint them. This guy is very cool so I am sure if you asked about other colors not listed he could point you in the right direction.

Einion those are the brushes I was going to get. Should I get synthetics in the same sizes as the kolinsky brushes?
    Hard to say, preference for brush sizes can be very personal. Depending on how cheaply you can get them I'd say get a fair selection. The same sizes will almost certainly be worth having, but some 2s or 3s might even prove useful.

After reading I will use unscented bar of soap, dish soap, and hair conditioner.
    Just the regular soap and conditioner should do it. The dish soap can be confined to your rinse water.

BTW don't think you need to wash your brushes all the time, every now and then should be enough if you're rinsing properly.

With three sisters and a mom there is allot of conditioner in the house already.
    And why aren't you conditioning your hair? Chicks dig nice hair on a guy

Einion

Just a word of advise...you don't need to get all three right now. Get 1 good brush, either 0 or 1, and 2-3 cheap one. You want to use cheap brush to mix paint and, maybe, for dry brushing (HE scale armor...)

Learn to take care of your good brush! They will go a long way. And once they start to split, don't throw them away, you can use it for transferring/mixing.

Also, get some parchment paper for wet palette. This will make painting more enjoyable...

For paint...it's a deep topic! People have their preference, pending on their painting style.

And one last thing on the shopping list...xacto blade! You'll need it!

As far as