Super noob - paint supply question

Thread: Super noob - paint supply question

Default Super noob - paint supply question

Hello everyone,
    I'm just getting back into painting after about a 10 year hiatus. Much has changed and I must admit I'm a bit lost. I have done my best to ask questions and do my research but this topic is quite dependent on taste. What I'm looking for is a good starting pack of paints. Originally I was thinking about the 72 pack of Vallejo model paints. That idea was shot down by most that I asked due to the face that I likely wouldn't use many of the paints. My thoughts were that I would have most of what I needed and I wouldn't have to run to the shop every time I needed a new paint. I'm guessing the better method would be to get a good collection of colors I'd be more likely to use.

Here lies my questions.
    1) Where's the best place to buy Vallejo paints in Canada? I live in Burlington Ontario if there are any within driving distance.
    2) What would you suggest would be a good collection of paints/primers/washes/inks for me?

I should probably add a bit of information on what I'm up to. Right now I will be painting mostly fantasy (elves, orcs, dwarves...) however I just backed A LOT of Rivet Wars miniatures which I look forward to being able to paint later in the year. I need a whole lot of practice before then! Quite happy I found out about CMoN this place is a wealth of information!

Thank you very much in advance. I truly appreciate it. Can't wait to show off some of my creations to get some feedback!

This is a bit like the blind leading the blind here but I wish I had went with Vallejo Model Color personally. I went with P3 and I'm not a fan of paint pots. I would much prefer the dropper variety. I'm not sure what shipping to Canada costs but I've found thewarstore.com to be very fair as far as pricing goes.

As far as inks and washes this video and link seemed extremely valuable and as I progress a bit I plan on going this route exclusively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkMnP6p08I

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...st/261541.page
    Extreme Novice.

Quote Originally Posted by BBristow
    Originally I was thinking about the 72 pack of Vallejo model paints. That idea was shot down by most that I asked due to the face that I likely wouldn't use many of the paints.
    I'd agree with that, as would many others here. You might not use some of the paints ever and others so infrequently that there's really no point in having them, so it can be very much a waste of money. Unless you can get the set for a significant saving perhaps - I'm thinking if they work out at approximately 50% of the regular price it may actually be worth it if you think of it as a learning expense.

I'm guessing the better method would be to get a good collection of colors I'd be more likely to use.
    Yep. To a degree you have to find these out via use and experimentation since it's not as simple as getting a colour you like the look of, how it is in use is as important or more. Then if you want backup stock buy appropriate amounts of each colour (you might find you need x2 white for example).

Just to mention, it isn't ideal to have paint sitting on a shelf for long periods unused. But if you want to ensure you never run out it's preferable to the alternative, and lots of people do use paints that are many years old.

2) What would you suggest would be a good collection of paints/primers/washes/inks for me?
    Much harder question to answer I'm afraid, so many variables (personal taste, preferences in painting, painting for play v. display). At the simplest you really could paint most things with just a few primaries and white and black, but that would be far more mixing work than most people would like; hence the demand for all the lovely convenience mixtures in paint lines.

I don't know that there's a useful mean or average number of paints, but around 20-40 may be typical... bearing in mind this would be colours used on a regular basis; the entire paint collection could be much much larger (like 200+ in some cases) because of early purchases, trying this and that from various paint lines and so on.

Can't wait to show off some of my creations to get some feedback!
    Best way to improve. You shouldn't need too thick a skin, but feel free to ask straight out for brutal honesty or harsh critique if you can take it and you want to get good, fast. Incidentally there's a dedicated forum for this if you haven't spotted it, Discuss Submissions.

Einion

Have you tried/thought about reaper paints? You can order them as singles, triads, or build your own paint set. Les Bursley has a recipe for making your own washes that I am a fan of, or you can buy them under the brand name Secret Weapon Washes
    Last edited by brib4169; 02-05-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: stupid autocorrect

Hi everyone,
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. It looks as though I need to bite the bullet and dive in and figure out what works best for me. I went to a few games shops and looked at the wall of different paints. I think my next step is to buy a couple miniatures and start practicing. Perhaps some of the metal ones, not sure if it's possible to strip the paint off after you're done. Could be a good way to try different things/colors.

Thanks again.

I see most people saying that Simple Green is a great way to strip the paint off the mini's.
    Extreme Novice.

Quote Originally Posted by Banemorth View Post
    I wish I had went with Vallejo Model Color personally. I went with P3 and I'm not a fan of paint pots. I would much prefer the dropper variety.
    Definitely agree with Banemorth here. I hate using paint pots and much prefer dropper bottles. That leaves Vallejo or, as brib4169 said, Reaper Master Series paints. I've used both and either would be a good choice. Lately my preference has been for Reaper. They're a little thinner out of the bottle so they work really well for blending. I also had an easier time turning them into washes or glazes. Another helpful thing about Reaper is their organization. A lot of colors come in groups of three with a mid tone, shadow, and highlight. For example, you want to paint the skin on your elf, why not get Fair Shadow (09046), Fair Skin (09047), and Fair Highlight (09048). For orcs you could go with Muddy Olive (09034), Olive Green (09035), and Pale Olive/Swamp Green (09036) or try Peacock Green (09226), Brilliant Green (09227), and Viper Green (09228). When you shade and highlight you don't need to stick with their sets (for example, I use 6 or 7 colors when I do skin not just those three), but they are a great place for a beginner to start. The downside is they are hard to find (at least near me in the US), so I have to order them online. CMON carries them or you can order direct through Reaper. In the US, orders over $25 ship free. I'm not sure if that works for Canada as well, but worth looking into.

For Vallejo, check their color chart: cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/1a94dc19fe3eda324e0214fbd087dad7/model-color-cc.pdf. From there think about what colors you'll need for orcs, elves, and dwarves. If you need green for the orcs skin, remember to get at least a mid tone green, a light green for highlights, and a dark green for shadows. Which greens you pick depend on the look you want. You could go for pale greens, olive greens, light greens, etc. In addition to the basic colors, you'll want some of the metallic paints for armor and weapons. Pick from the Colores Metalizados / Metallic Colors. Avoid the Oros al Alcohol / Liquid Gold colors (as listed in the link above). That second set of metallics is alcohol based and probably not something you want to deal with as a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Banemorth View Post
    I see most people saying that Simple Green is a great way to strip the paint off the mini's.
    I've used this and it works great. Just let your figure soak for a day or two and scrub the paint off with an old toothbrush or something similar. Works for plastic, resin, or metal. I find it in my local supermarket in either the cleaning or automotive section.
    Last edited by Bailey03; 02-05-2013 at 10:14 AM.

I know I wont be of much help here as I am just beginning as well. What I did was find a few miniatures that I liked and then started thinking about what color I wanted to paint them. I researched the characters, looked for tutorials and tried to get a vision of what I wanted the figure to look like. I then went and bought the paints I needed. I too was thinking about buying a large set of paint, but like the others said, there may be a bunch of colors that I would never use. I ended up buying 45 colors that I knew I was going to use on the figures I just bought.

I ended up going with the Reaper Master Series paints for now because they seemed to be more available in my area as opposed to Vallejo Master/Game colors or P3. I bought quite a bit online at Reapermini and Miniature Market as well. I am not sure what shipping to Canada may now be since the postal rates went up but you might check them out.

Perhaps some of the metal ones, not sure if it's possible to strip the paint off after you're done. Could be a good way to try different things/colors.
    Yes you can strip paint off easily. Early on it can be a great idea to get a couple/few minis with the intent to paint and repaint them for practice.

Lots of stripping options but the best choices are the ones you can reuse, which I think includes Simple Green. But if you can find it locally Castrol SuperClean is one of the best strippers out there and won't harm plastics.

Einion

Try Heavy support games in TO or Black Knight games in Hamilton. They both do mail order and carry vallejo/army painter/P3 and citadel. I order my surface primers (vallejo) from wayland games in the UK. Local shops carry the vallejo line but still have trouble getting the primers. A 60ml bottle will last a long time if you have an airbrush. Spray cans are a good starting point for priming though too.

Hope that helps.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Don't forget that you can actually buy an empty dropper bottle and transfer paints across. The bottle/pot shape shouldn't be the "be all and end all" of purchasing a paint - the actual paint itself is the important thing. Many people here will have a collection of different manufacturers. If you've not, check out the Rivet Wars painting videos - that's a pretty good starting point if that's what you're up for painting in time. You should notice about 3 or 4 different manufacturer's in the video

Thank you for all the advice! I really appreciate it. I have a lot of painting to do. Now I just need to figure out a good tool kit and I'm gtg. Thanks again!

I'm in Ottawa and frequently order from a couple stores in the GTA: http://www.meeplemart.com/ and http://store.miniwargaming.com/
    Miniwargaming is a little cheaper on paints (Models are cheaper at meeplemart) and carries more paint lines but I give meeplemart my business whenever I can as they also carry a LOT of smaller miniature lines from Europe and the US.
    You can pick up Simple Green (mentioned above for stripping paint) at Canadian Tire or Wallmart and again hit up both of those stores for spray primers (Krylon is a popular choice at $5ish a can). A few of the miniature paint lines (Vallejo VMA and Reaper come to mind) offer brush-on primer as an option as well seeing our lovely climate.

Thanks I wondered about those but never tried them because i didn't know anyone who had. Now added to my list 'o shops!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo