Stripping your figs, What do you use?

Thread: Stripping your figs, What do you use?

Default Stripping your figs, What do you use?

So I have been using simple green (SG) for a while now. I use it on metals and even on plastics. I just keep the figs in a cup of SG for 3-4 days and hit them with a tooth brush. I have heard that some people are using a sonic cleaner with SG and that works even better. has anyone tried this? How are your results? Also I have heard of a new (to me) cleaner called purple power that works better than SG. Has anyone used this stuff, and does it hurt your figs, and how long do you use it for? Or is there any other item you use to clean your figs? Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh127 View Post
    So I have been using simple green (SG) for a while now. I use it on metals and even on plastics. I just keep the figs in a cup of SG for 3-4 days and hit them with a tooth brush. I have heard that some people are using a sonic cleaner with SG and that works even better. has anyone tried this? How are your results? Also I have heard of a new (to me) cleaner called purple power that works better than SG. Has anyone used this stuff, and does it hurt your figs, and how long do you use it for? Or is there any other item you use to clean your figs? Thanks for your input!

I stick it in Pinesol for 12 hours and check it, and if it isn't ready, I leave it for another 12 and then scrub with a toothbrush as well. Its never hurt my figs. Not even my plastic Dust figs.

Quote Originally Posted by knatebaker View Post
    I stick it in Pinesol for 12 hours and check it, and if it isn't ready, I leave it for another 12 and then scrub with a toothbrush as well. Its never hurt my figs. Not even my plastic Dust figs.
    BE WARNED: some plastic will be obliterated by pinesol, learned this lesson the hard way.

If you already own an ultrasonic cleaner then by all means try it, it certainly shouldn't hurt. But don't think they're worth purchasing specially.

If you're after faster stripping you can do better than Simple Green, judging purely by the time you need to leave them soaking. A good stripper should work in some hours, maybe a day tops - even for enamels and primer.

Einion

Blog Entries

I use simple green. But now that you mentioned ultrasonic cleaner, Harbor Freight has one for $29.99, add to that (or subtract as the case may be!) the 20% off coupon that comes every month in the newspaper inserts and I am going to have to give it a try!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

i bought an ultrasonic cleaner for this purpose and it works well, most of the time. my process is still
    1. soak in multi purpose cleaner
    2. put in ultra sonic cleaner
    3. pretend that they have secret information
    4. remove and inspect

the process may have to be repeated depending on what paints were used but the majority of cases once is fine. plastic and metal has no issue, have not tried resin yet, and just to go over the top i'm thinking about getting a sand blasting cabinet for the ultra stubborn metal ones

Quote Originally Posted by terroroy View Post
    3. pretend that they have secret information
    I had to read that twice. I may have pee'd a little after the second take. o_0
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Please remember no one system is 100% perfect, but combining thing gets damn close.
    I've a simple suggestion, get hold of an "El Cheapo" electric toothbrush (mine came from a £1 shop), a touch of CIF or whatever on the bristles really helps with the scrubbing.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach
    I've a simple suggestion, get hold of an "El Cheapo" electric toothbrush (mine came from a £1 shop), a touch of CIF or whatever on the bristles really helps with the scrubbing.
    I'm all for the cheap-and-effective solution so thoroughly support this idea. Inherently less likely to pit the surface than media blasting too.

BTW all this stripping, is it for painted stuff bought in from eBay or wherever?

Einion

isopropylic alcohol or 2-propanol works best for me. just pure chemistry (as I´m a chemistry student)

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    BTW all this stripping, is it for painted stuff bought in from eBay or wherever?
    I wish.
    At the moment I'm returning about 15 'failed'(*) projects to the starting line.

(* For Failed you can substitute another less polite word beginning with the letter "F")
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Thx for the tip on Harbor Freight. I'll see if I can pick it up this weekend. I also checked on Amazon...price is pretty competitive.

I've been using Purple Power for the past couple of years and it works great on plastics. It won't eat away at any of the details on the models. I've only tried it on models w/ acrylics which is pretty much what our community uses anyway

You can pick up a gallon at Walmart for about $6

A friend put me onto Fairy power spray.
    I've tried various things in the past, including acetone and I would say the fairy power is about the same at stripping, but with the added advantage of 1) not smelling as bad, and 2) useable on plastics (acetone just melts plastic). You do need to do a bit of scrubbing with an old toothbrush, but the paint just peels off (unlike something like dettol where it goes into this stringy gooey mess). I have tried a variety of different makes of minis and some paint jobs dating back to the 80s which I think were enamel, so far only 1 mini has not cleaned up so well (but by that stage I had reused the fairy a couple of times and it was BLACK, so probably not working as well as if it had been fresh).
    I even stripped a rhino tank by putting it in a plastic tub with a lid and a small amount of fairy in the bottom and shaking it about to cover the whole tank. Left for a couple of days with the occasional shake to recover and the paint just peeled off.

I'll second Fairy Power Spray, the best thing out there, especially for plastic. Unfortunately i have not been able to find any for several weeks, im wondering if it has been discontinued.

Simple Green = North America and Fairy Power Spray = UK/Europe no?

Anyway, the active stripping ingredient in Power Spray is the caustic soda (lye), which is what's used in most oven cleaners and the usual recommendation for the US is Easy-Off. But you can buy caustic soda in raw form and make up solutions of it yourself (if you do be sure to follow the instructions, it's potentially dangerous - permanent blinding is possible if you're stupid).

Einion

For plastic/metal miniatures i use nail polish remover, it will NOT harm the mini in any way, you just need a bit of elbow grease (effort) and a tooth brush. takes about 20 minutes. job done

Quote Originally Posted by black dagger
    For plastic/metal miniatures i use nail polish remover, it will NOT harm the mini in any way, you just need a bit of elbow grease (effort) and a tooth brush. takes about 20 minutes. job done
    I'm glad you've had good luck but a word of warning to others, nail polish remover will certainly harm some plastics - many are based on acetone, others on ethyl acetate or butyl acetate, which are all solvents capable of softening plastics including styrene.

Einion