" Dish Soap " to make washes..

Thread: " Dish Soap " to make washes..

Question " Dish Soap " to make washes..

Sorry to all the painting masters out there who are rolling there eyes mumbling 'Dis noooooob....'

But... I've read so many times people advising to add a bit of 'dish soap' to a mix to create washes that flow better into recesses...

Being that we're quite low-tech here in my house and we do the dishes the old fashioned way -- in the sink...
    Not one of these new-fangled dish-washerat0r machines...

My question is, are we talking about fairy-liquid washing-up-liquid...
    Or are you peeps referring to something used in an electric dish-washer.

I could just experiment but i am loathe to mix up a strange paint-fairy substance that sits there smelling lovely but is totally useless
    Cheers!

'Dish soap' seems to be what americans call washing up liquid, so you are correct in your assumption

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Here it is Dawn or Palmolove (liquid dish soap). But liquid hand soap would also work (more perfumes). Anything to help break surface tension.

A drop or two to a half liter (pint) should be enough. We're not making a bubble bath, just need a bit of surfactant.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by airhead View Post
    Here it is Dawn or Palmolove (liquid dish soap). But liquid hand soap would also work (more perfumes). Anything to help break surface tension.

A drop or two to a half liter (pint) should be enough. We're not making a bubble bath, just need a bit of surfactant.

Wouldn't dishwasher rinse agent work better than soap, or they about the same?
    Name:  Jet Dry.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  5.7 KB

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Whatever you call it, it's the stuff you would wash dishes with.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhowl View Post
    Wouldn't dishwasher rinse agent work better than soap, or they about the same?
    Name:  Jet Dry.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  5.7 KB
    I've never seen it tried. Try a bit and let us know how it works. Personally I use W&N Flow Improver.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilton
    My question is, are we talking about fairy-liquid washing-up-liquid...
    Yes. If you're going by a formula you've gotten online you shouldn't go too far wrong but you do want to be careful not to add too much as this can interfere with proper drying. As Fairy is a little more concentrated than many competitors you may need to add a smidge less.

Einion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by airhead View Post
    I've never seen it tried. Try a bit and let us know how it works. Personally I use W&N Flow Improver.
    Only reason I mentioned this is that Bruce Hirst recommends it to make "Wet Water" to help plaster flow into molds (http://www.hirstarts.com/casting/advanced.html#wet). Since it was specifically designed to help reduce the surface tension of the water I am not sure if it is better than soap at doing this or not.

For my washes I used Les Bursley's recipe which uses a mix of Liquitex flow improver and water, matte medium and artist's inks. so it could be some time before I have to mix up a new batch of washes

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhowl
    Only reason I mentioned this is that Bruce Hirst recommends it to make "Wet Water" to help plaster flow into molds (http://www.hirstarts.com/casting/advanced.html#wet). Since it was specifically designed to help reduce the surface tension of the water I am not sure if it is better than soap at doing this or not.
    My guess is there won't be much in it. Commercial tension breakers can be a specific type of chemical and not detergent, but in some a detergent is the main active ingredient*.

Einion

*With the bulk of the product consisting of water, in case that's not obvious.