How to unglue superglue from pre-assembled plastic models ??

Thread: How to unglue superglue from pre-assembled plastic models ??

Default How to unglue superglue from pre-assembled plastic models ??

Just got a bunch of super dungeon explore minis and I honestly hate the job they did putting them together. Is there any way to remove superglue from plastics without damaging the plastic ?? I heard nail polish remover, but only for metal models. Any tips ?
    Last edited by chibi-vampire; 02-09-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Sadly, I found that WD40 will dissolve superglue (CO2 powered car came apart in Jr. High). But, I'm not certain what it'll do to the plastic. So, a careful test might be in order. Spray a puddle and let a grunt piece sit in it for a bit. After the WD40, a rigorous scrubbing in soap and water should remove the WD40.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Blog Entries

Super glue on plastic you should be able to just gently pry apart. If they used plastic cement that melts the plastic together, then you would be hosed. I did notice that soaking my minis in simple green tends to loosen up the superglue joins on metal and plastic enough that I can usually twist the part at the join and it pops off.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

If you put your mini in the freezer it will tend to make a Superglued joint brittle and you can often break the join easily.

Isopropyl Alcohol (same stuff that is in Simple Green) will also weaken superglue bonds and not damage the miniature.
    Get as pure Iso Alch as you can, with simple green you are paying for mainly water.

I've heard the freezer thing too, though I've never tried it.

Assuming the freezer thing works, and I manage to break the joints. What is good to clean the superglue off the joints then ? Just soapy water or do you need something to make it gooey like the alcohol suggestions ?

I gather superglue gets kind of brittle when frozen, so you might be able to just flake it off. I would personally prefer that to using chemicals, since I'd be worried about softening the plastic.

The only thing I know for sure melts superglue is acetone (nail polish remover, available at drug stores dirt cheap). But I am not sure if it is plastic safe. It is not acrylic safe at any rate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chibi-vampire View Post
    Assuming the freezer thing works, and I manage to break the joints. What is good to clean the superglue off the joints then ? Just soapy water or do you need something to make it gooey like the alcohol suggestions ?

Use a hobby knife or a file to scrape it off.

Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’

Go with what Bloodhowl says, Acetone will totally eat the mini and not have all that much of an effect on the glue.

Break the bond with freezer/Iso Alky, which will not harm the mini in any way, then use a hobby knife/file/ emery board to clean it up

Thanks, Bloodhowl and Magpie_Oz. I'd hate to think my ignorance would cause someone to wreck a mini.

Scraping it is, then.

Magpie is right with the simple green. I have soaked stuff in it over night and the bond broke down making disassemble easy and cleanup as well of the old glue.

Newbie, please be gentle Kirchhauser's Avatar

@Bloodhowl - SDE Miniatures are made from PVC as far as I know, plastic cement doesn't work on them, so superglue is a pretty safe bet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirchhauser View Post
    @Bloodhowl - SDE Miniatures are made from PVC as far as I know, plastic cement doesn't work on them, so superglue is a pretty safe bet.
    "Polyvinyl chloride, commonly abbreviated PVC, is the third-most widely produced plastic, after polyethylene and polypropylene". It depends on what plastic cement you use.

Magnus lost his smile.

Different meanings to 'plastic cement' to bear in mind - liquid versus the gooey stuff in the tube. If it's the liquid kind then yeah, it doesn't work on some plastics.

You can get strong solvents that will work on just about any plastic but they pick the solvent action carefully for the commercial kind because they know it's intended primarily for styrene and they don't need to go any stronger (and stronger = more toxic).

Anyhow, if you don't want to use superglue for reassembly then PVC pipe cement could be the cheapest option. Only problem might be that a lot of it is coloured blue.

Einion