wanting to paint dark elf purple type flesh and need tips

Thread: wanting to paint dark elf purple type flesh and need tips

Default wanting to paint dark elf purple type flesh and need tips

hey there people's. thanks for stopping by. as the title suggests i am looking to do a light purple type skin tone for the dark elf Queen from avatars of war and need some help. i have the GW range of paints and also the vallejo sets so colour choice isn't an issue, i just would like to know how to get that lovely pale tone.

any other interesting skin painting articles would also be welcome

cheers!

p.s. buy a dremel! i got one delivered the other day and my prep times for getting rid of mold lines etc. has been pounded into the dirt, hobby files still come in handy but by jove i think i'm in love

I haven't done it before but all I can suggest is to take GW elf flesh and add a very small amount of mauve, (I don't know if GW does mauve, it's a light lavender colour) See how it looks on the palette and what it looks like dry, adjust the ratio until your happy with the colour. Try to get the colour for the basecoat and work from there.

Decide if you want a reddish purple or a bluish purple, then just keep adding white until you get the skin tone you want.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

i love this style of painting, afraid it´s the only skintype i do these days i usually start out with equal parts chaos black, liche purple and vallejo old rose. could use a wee bit of dark brown here if you want a warmer colour. (warning, may look a bit grey, but do not worry! i then gradually add very very small amounts of citadel colours elf flesh and astronomican gray. this until you have a pure 50/50 mix of the two at the very highest peaks. then add skull white to the mix and get to work again. i could do a picture tutorial of this to give you a general idea if you want me to?

Quote Originally Posted by ischa View Post
    i love this style of painting, afraid it´s the only skintype i do these days i usually start out with equal parts chaos black, liche purple and vallejo old rose. could use a wee bit of dark brown here if you want a warmer colour. (warning, may look a bit grey, but do not worry! i then gradually add very very small amounts of citadel colours elf flesh and astronomican gray. this until you have a pure 50/50 mix of the two at the very highest peaks. then add skull white to the mix and get to work again. i could do a picture tutorial of this to give you a general idea if you want me to?
    that would be awesome if you have the time.
    thanks for the tips

James Wappel did a bunch of test minis (from raging heroes, I think) that had various shades of purple for skin tone - they were awesome. They might be good for inspiration...here is a link and another and another. He's got a pretty unique process but the skin tones he gets are outrageous.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    James Wappel did a bunch of test minis (from raging heroes, I think) that had various shades of purple for skin tone - they were awesome. They might be good for inspiration...here is a link and another and another. He's got a pretty unique process but the skin tones he gets are outrageous.
    nice work zab! i actually put in for the wappelian kickstarter and after seeing that am even gladder for the investment!

cheers

Yeah I got in on that kickstarter too. I want to see how he works and try it out for myself. Looks like chaos but yields nice results.

He he... I know it seems very chaotic, but there is actually a very precise plan behind it all. :-) by working more quickly and with the bigger brushes, it 'loosens you up', and frees you from dabbing away endlessly at the poor mini.

It's kinda like sports, where the more you dwell on things, the more you screw up. This is all about action! You think ahead, and then just let it roll, baby!

He he... I know it seems very chaotic, but there is actually a very precise plan behind it all. :-) by working more quickly and with the bigger brushes, it 'loosens you up', and frees you from dabbing away endlessly at the poor mini.

It's kinda like sports, where the more you dwell on things, the more you screw up. This is all about action! You think ahead, and then just let it roll, baby!

I just started my first non 40k mini which is from freebooter and it's got quite a bit more skin than I am used to and no power armour! o_0 Weird. I mixed up a bunch of tones I wanted in the skin and went to town. Nowhere near what you can do, but it's a start and I have to say the organic process is both terrifying and freeing. So far it's turning out better than I thought

Quote Originally Posted by Wappellious View Post

looking forward to trying it out when i get home, only another week of work left.

managed to finish a type of tutorial if you wanna check it out=)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...674#post687674

sorry for the time it took!

Quote Originally Posted by ischa View Post
    managed to finish a type of tutorial if you wanna check it out=)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...674#post687674

sorry for the time it took!
    thanks for that ischa the highlights on her look fantastic.

no probs, hope it helps a bit anyways=) and thanks!

Hey folks!

I did a number of flesh tone videos as part of the kickstarter. Some of these include the Drow skin color, Dark Elf, and even Demonette tones! There are three more "human" looking tones as well.

Here's a peek at one of them, a 30 minute preview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Xisz5LwSA

They are also available on USB drives directly from me, or at KingsHobbies and Games!
    http://www.kingshobbiesandgames.com/...lfleshdark.htm

You can get the purple skin color video as a download here on CMON, or on USB at Kings Hobbies and Games. It's one of six skin color videos!

http://www.kingshobbiesandgames.com/...rple-flesh.htm

A colour wheel is very useful for answering these sorts of questions:
    http://www.amazon.com/Color-Wheel-9-1-4/dp/B000I1TFMK