Source for extremely small (0.25-0.5mm diameter loops) chain?

Thread: Source for extremely small (0.25-0.5mm diameter loops) chain?

Default Source for extremely small (0.25-0.5mm diameter loops) chain?

I'm looking for some extremely small scale chain for use with my 6mm epic scale armies.

The chain on the Forge World site looks to have chain links of roughly 1mm in size, but I'm looking for chain with at around 0.5mm diameter loops and some with around 0.25mm diameter loops. Anyone know of places that sell this?

I've been trying to find some on Google but not having much luck, I keep getting results for that thick wire not that diameter of loop

I've had a lot of success hitting up the local arts/crafts store. They sell jewelry making stuff, so you can find all kinds of wire and chain there.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

might give model railroad shop a try.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Pretty sure they don't make chains that small. Even if they did, could your eye ever notice the detail anyway, especially after it's painted? Plus they'd be extremely expensive, once you get past a certain point, the price on wires starts going up, fast, due to the manufacturing cost. Since chains are made from wires, and have manufacturing costs of their own, I'd imagine the costs would ramp up twice as fast.

I'd suggest you look into using ropes/strings. Painted metallic they can look like braided metal chains or hoses. Of course, again, at that scale, any old wire/thread/string wouldn't look much different 3 feet away.

Blog Entries

Maybe this site has stuff you can use:

http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/parts-chain.html

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

40 links per inch probably works out to each link being around 1mm or more, due to the overlap you can't just divide the number of links by the length.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuietiManes View Post
    40 links per inch probably works out to each link being around 1mm or more, due to the overlap you can't just divide the number of links by the length.
    Sorry. I only do Walmart math. 40 links per inch, at 18" = a lot of little links.

But, here is another site, that has a scale picture of 40 links/inch over a US dime:
    http://www.nscalesupply.com/ALI/ALI-Chains.html
    Last edited by Bloodhowl; 02-15-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Quote Originally Posted by QuietiManes
    Good point, hadn't thought of that? If they were just lined up touching 40 LPI means links would be 0.64mm long, but with the overlap you're probably right they would be 1mm or so.

Einion