Nosebleeds WIPs - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nosebleeds WIPs

@krulebear: thanks man. it was difficult but a good learning experience nonetheless.
    @WGS: thanks and i really hope so. it's frustrating but iknow if i keep at it the skill will return in due time. yes! i'll be starting to hunt round for heads now i think!
    @maenas: thank you for taking the time to check out my thread! yea that avatar is awesome right? i was thinking of changing your comment convinced me to keep it. thank you very much and i hope it will translate well onto the actual banner!
    @skelettets: thank you it's great to be back! and welcome back too and hope you're doing ok!

i've been a little busy these past few days but now that things are briefly calming for a moment i have the time to post up a decent update.

my dutch relatives are visiting the country for a working holiday for a year, and at the the moment our home is their base. on monday we went out for a family picnic to some old mines which also happened to be the perfect location to get some decent research done for the landsknecht base. my relatives were amazed at just how many different environments we have in such a small country (it ranges from sub-tropical to sub-antartic). the mines themselves had a wealth of references, and i have selected some of my better shots and put them into a folder HERE. you're welcome to use them as research/inspiration of your own!
    with this and some additional research i have been able to draw up the sketch and general plan for the finished product, but i won't be doing any more until i up my skills a bit. i really want to make this guy special after all.

also, as some of you may recall, the 17th of this month is my birthday. this year things were a little complex so we haven't actually had the celebration yet, but i did score some sweet loot, some of which you can see here:
    Name:  2016-02-172011.07.05_zpsp8poe1ot.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  234.7 KB

while i am still mourning the loss of my favourite hobby supplier, i am ecstatic that we can finally get good painting brushes here! naturally i have put them to good use and have been testing them out on various parts of testicles. i've also been trying out new techniques and other various things to see what kind of painting method i prefer best. while where i want to be is still really far off, i'm beginning to feel like i've made a small improvement, particularily on the foot section which i painted today.

Name:  2016-02-172015.23.14_zpszd4eoqbk.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  107.9 KB
    Name:  2016-02-172015.23.21_zpsa6m6okzk.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  93.2 KB
    Name:  2016-02-192000.16.30_zpsuybj1j9j.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  122.5 KB

finally deadpool was awesome and the best valentines movie of all time!
    i'd make you a sandwitch, but cannibalism is illegal in my country.
    WIP thread

I hope that you had a great birthday!

Finding cool places for references is always fun. I'm glad that we also have quite interestingly different areas here in South Africa to draw inspiration from.

Oooh W&N Series 7 brushes! Are they the miniature line or standard? I got myself some of the miniature ones (I prefer their smaller size for my lady hands) the other day *insert squealing and running about here* and I'm waiting to break them out on a personal project.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

@archarad: thanks man but it was actually pretty catastrophic actually. I won't go into details but being given a cake that I couldn't eat pretty much sums up the day nicely.

they are standard size as that is the only one avalible here. I feel you on the hands thing. I have very small hands for my size but I'm kind of a giant lady so it's not too much hassle thankfully. They are super fantastic to paint with, which I'm sure you'll find out when you do your project!!

i was rummaging through my bitz box looking for beakie heads and found some lizardmen skinks (I think). They are a nice and little so I can finish them quicker and try more techniques on them. I'm preping them now and will upload some photos when I get to bubble's house, as right now I only have a very limited supply of phone internet.
    WIP thread

That sucks.

Lizardmen should be a fun little tester project - you can go mad with cool colours.

I'm not exactly a wilting slip of a girl myself, but I do have girl sized hands and I'm looking forward to playing with some smaller brushes.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

great work on the reds, I see some great colours mixed/glazed other the red!

@arch: yea i am really looking forward to painting up those guys. and on the wilting slip thing , bubbles calls me small but at a minute 181cm tall (and taller than him) i find it hard to believe him.
    @cammy: thank you very much! yea i use a lot of colours now, my pallete after painting that red looked like i murdered a rainbow.

hey everyone long time no update, largely due to the fudgy internet and summer heat. however i have been quite busy, so i will show you what i have been up to.

Name:  IMG_0987_zpsqals9ueg.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  202.4 KB Name:  IMG_0988_zps7unoe7mm.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  190.7 KB
    beaky is coming along nicely now. i've really started to get my mojo back with him and it's actually really funny to see different sections of him painted with increasing levels of skill. right now i am working on the diamonds on his leg so i can shade and highlight them together, as the colours are so similar.

Name:  IMG_0979_zpsxbavpcre.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  257.9 KB
    i've started work on the freehand banner itself now. just playing around with the skull, getting the basic volumes and details right. nowhere near happy with it yet, but i'll get there eventually.

both of these projects are now on hold as i discovered a miniature painting competition happening in the city gaming club on sunday. my dreams of of entering the sculpts dragonsreach sent me were dashed as they will only be accepting minis from games played within the club, however it reminded me that i have an old space marine captain lying around who deserves some love. he is a heavy conversion/kitbash model so i am really pushing myself with this one, paticularily considering the deadline is the 21st (the competition has been running since the 11th of jan, i just discovered it really late). i have given myself the goal of getting the conversion and sculpting parts done by this weekend so i have plenty of time to paint the mini. right now i am thanking my lucky stars i am unemployed so i can concentrate almost entirely on finishing this project in time!

Name:  IMG_5161_zpsommy9rwn.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  116.8 KB
    here is the first attempt of the fit together with the base. you can see the basic volumes of the hair sculpted with blu-tac, to give me some experience and to get a better feel for the finished product.

Name:  IMG_5181_zpstwzjir7g.jpg
Size:  197.7 KB Name:  IMG_5188_zpsvsfnhigo.jpg
Size:  148.4 KB
    after mulling it over for a bit i changed the positions and came up with a much better composition. i may tweak minor details a bit but i am happy with the overall feel of the mini. what i have left of the conversion bits are sculpting the hair, attaching the sword arm and detailing the exposed bits on both arms, filling in the gap on the backpack, and various minor fix ups from the rather sloppy job past me has done on this mini.

Name:  IMG_5170_zpsvvi6mbpl.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  70.1 KB
    i realize that this is a lot of work in not much time so i am preparing this assault marine Sargent in case i don't gt the conversions done by my deadline. he isn't fully sanded, the pose could use more work and those aren't the rock pieces i'll likely use but the idea is there just in case!

on a completely unrelated note look at this ridiculously small and sassy bumblebee i found.
    Name:  IMG_0982_zpshklilbot.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  242.3 KB
    WIP thread

Nice progress on the beaky, the captain and assault marine both look very dynamic
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

thank you very much WGS! yea i wanted some really dynamic and eye catching poses for these two so i've been plying around with the angles of the base elements to create a nice composition that will draw in the eye and keep it there. i was surprised how easy it was to do this for a space marine
    WIP thread

Very nice work so far on your comp ideas. I have faith that you'll get at least one of them done in time and gorgeously!

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

@arch: thank you very much! i really hope that i can get my captain finished in time but with my limited skill and rustiness with sculpting i am prepared to switch over to the assult marine fir this competition.
    @stewsayer: thank you very much! it's only at the beginning now so i hope it'll look even better in the near future!
    WIP thread

I think the banner looks real good and the mocked up hair improves that marine significantly. Good luck on the tight deadline.

thank you very much krule! i agree with you about the hair thing, i'll be sculpting it as soon as i finish attaching the sword arm (which i am doing right now) so i hope i can get a good look!
    WIP thread

i'll be painting up the sergeant as i missed the captain's deadline by a hair's breath, something that really frustrated to no end. however i know that for a mini as personal as him i will be dissapointed if i don't do the image in my head justice, so finishing him in my spare time or a future competition would be best

that being said i made a heck of of a lot of progress, the main and most exciting bit being the sculpting of the hair. it's still rough and will need going over with putty and sandpaper, but i am really proud of it as it was my first time sculpting something with complex shapes and my second time sculpting ever (the first was his mask).

Name:  IMG_5191.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  241.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_5192.JPG
Size:  239.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_5195.JPG
Size:  211.4 KB

crtiiques and advice are very welcome. i really want to learn more about sculpting!
    WIP thread

Great flow to the hair Meaty, next time when you get to this stage take a scalpel blade and run fine lines through each of the clumps of hair this will add an extra level of detail
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Made me think of a special marine unit formed up with just thought girls. ^^
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Hey bleeds nice work my dear lady! Nice work in deed.btw that is a bee with nads bigger than an elephant!!!

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Made me think of a special marine unit formed up with just thought girls. ^^
    He he , yep . Of course they would have to be all painting in pink and have fluffy bunny rabbits on the base

Last edited by ten ball; 03-05-2016 at 01:26 PM.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

@WGS: thank you very much for the tip. i'll def try that next time! there are a couple of fine lines sculpted into the hair but my phone camera didn't pick them up, but your method sounds much easier and cleaner than the one i used.
    @maenas: well he is supposed to be effeminate, scars of being possesd by a demon of slaanesh at one point.
    @bloodasmedium: thank you very much! that is def my type of bee then. however i don't think this one has nads that size owing to the fact it's a worker bee and most likely to be female.
    @ten: does red count as pink and daemons count as fluffy rabbits? if so than this guy will absolutely fit in to that squad!
    WIP thread