Hellbeard's Sculpt-O-Rama
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hellbeard's Sculpt-O-Rama

Cool Hellbeard's Sculpt-O-Rama

Hello!

I'm a novice sculptor of miniatures.

I hope it's in good form for me to post here. I'd like to update this thread with my on-going progress. I maintain a blog, twitter, tumblr and several forums accounts as well as a portfolio web site. I've long heard about CMON and the robust community here and thought I'd share my work with you.
    My goal here is threefold: I feed on comments and critiques, I'd like to increase my exposure and I enjoy showing my work and hope people enjoy looking at it. Also, even though I am a novice I will be very glad to answer any questions anyone might have regarding sculpting or at least try to point the way in the right direction.

Here are images of my work, from earliest up to the ongoing projects of today:

Name:  PnHW2.jpg
Views: 2933
Size:  237.5 KB Name:  FwDrF.jpg
Views: 2592
Size:  71.9 KB
    Name:  Ge0qN.jpg
Views: 2580
Size:  49.5 KB Name:  JCHNk.jpg
Views: 2651
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  VWRuw.jpg
Views: 2561
Size:  43.2 KB Name:  k48f39.jpg
Views: 2548
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  rrBT3.jpg
Views: 2548
Size:  52.6 KB Name:  9RReJ.jpg
Views: 2529
Size:  60.5 KB
    Name:  QjKiL.jpg
Views: 2597
Size:  87.2 KB Name:  qUQzD.jpg
Views: 2538
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  NrtDc.jpg
Views: 2522
Size:  45.0 KB Name:  z5hRBdS.jpg
Views: 2844
Size:  79.0 KB
    Name:  A5f2E3h.jpg
Views: 2712
Size:  90.2 KB Name:  21ZDlf0.jpg
Views: 2588
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  1wZN9G7.jpg
Views: 2542
Size:  49.3 KB Name:  5PveCPH.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  56.9 KB

... up to the ongoing projects of this very day. A 1:35 science fiction drop troop I tentatively named planetFallers and a 1:52 cyberpunk character.

Name:  9CdBeAw.jpg
Views: 2889
Size:  66.3 KB Name:  IzeSbcU.jpg
Views: 2571
Size:  72.1 KB

Some info you might care about: most of the early work is loosely 1:64, the little Arik Sharon is 1:100, the modern Germans are 1:72, the busts are without "scale" and the recent "28mm" ones are 1:56 and 1:52. I work mostly in Green Stuff or Kneadatite. I have tried my hand with FIMO and Super Sculpey Firm. If you have any questions I am eager to answer them. Otherwise just watch this space for updates on my progress.

If this is the wrong forum for that, or it's frowned upon for this kind of thread to be posted on CMON please excuse my error.

I welcome comments and criticism - the latter has proven most beneficial for my progress.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to being a part of this community.

Stop apologising! This is right, welcome to the forums!

Well you are clearly progressing! Proportions are getting better and detail sharper. Have you tried working with magic sculp? I fins a little of that in my mix helps a lot with smoothing and also allows for better hard edges. You can vary the mix depending on what you want - 1:4 (ms:gs) for organic stuff - stay rubbery, 4:1 (ms:gs) for hard edges
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    Stop apologising! This is right, welcome to the forums!

Well you are clearly progressing! Proportions are getting better and detail sharper. Have you tried working with magic sculp? I fins a little of that in my mix helps a lot with smoothing and also allows for better hard edges. You can vary the mix depending on what you want - 1:4 (ms:gs) for organic stuff - stay rubbery, 4:1 (ms:gs) for hard edges
    Thanks!
    I'll look into it. Though I've got this hermetic mindset for some reason that I must master vanilla Green Stuff first; M.S. is now on my radar.

Added sleeves to the planetFaller 1:35 prototype. He's got some 'tude now.
    Added pants and shoes to the 1:52 cyberpunk character.

Definitely can see the progression. I second the idea of adding a little milliput or magic sculp to greenstuff. It's a lot easier to sand (GS really doesn't sand well), and I find it overall easier to work with. Welcome aboard!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Great stuff you got here!! I'll be keeping an eye to your work

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Definitely can see the progression. I second the idea of adding a little milliput or magic sculp to greenstuff. It's a lot easier to sand (GS really doesn't sand well), and I find it overall easier to work with. Welcome aboard!
    Thank you for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Great stuff you got here!! I'll be keeping an eye to your work
    Thanks! I hope to astound your sensibilities.

Good work! I wish I could sculpt but alas sadly its not for me
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    Good work! I wish I could sculpt but alas sadly its not for me
    I'm sure if you put your mind to it and practiced you can sculpt with the best of them. If you need any guidance, feel free to ask.

Update:

Making a face + some FOW

He's going to need a little extra cranium but I'm rather pleased with the result so far.

When these will be complete I can field two equal points value opposing forces:

Except the tanks, re: points value.

I made a lot more progress than I had expected to. Mostly thanks to the newly discovered hot water technique.

Here's our dudes all finished:

1:35 planetFaller - a planetary orbital cavalry infantryman.

1:52 cyberpunk character

I was wondering if you could explain the "hot water technique" or please tell where you found it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apollox76 View Post
    I was wondering if you could explain the "hot water technique" or please tell where you found it. Thanks
    Sure thing. I wrote about it on my blog:

http://ludumartifex.blogspot.com/2013/02/hot-water.html

It's basically having some hot water around in the early stages of curing/sculpting to blend the edges between masses of clay. Green stuff has been around for 40 years, give or take, so I bet someone came up with the idea before; hopefully not to abandon it because it makes the sculpt explode after two weeks. Otherwise, I think I might have invented it.

I've launched an IndieGoGo campaign to manufacture and ship the last two figures. Click the link to see the campaign.
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ig...he-quickening/
    Please share if you like it.
    I'm very excited.

Interesting. I use a heat lamp to speed curing, but I had never thought of using heat to soften the material.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Interesting. I use a heat lamp to speed curing, but I had never thought of using heat to soften the material.
    Try it out and let me know what you think. I believe the heat causes the material to flow faster and breaks up the surface tension. After you work with the hot water, go over it again and smooth it (if you haven't already been doing that).
    Last edited by Hellbeard; 02-26-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: clarity

Here's a concept sketch for a Gnomish War Necromancer in the Warpunk style:

I'm going to start this sculpt shortly.

In other news- the campaign has already raised 400$. If this rate continues we're sure to reach the goal and start manufacturing figures and sending them out. SO EXCITING!!!!

Still a work in progress. This kind of art will really help me flesh out the character as I make it.

Warpunk is a concept I've had for a while. It's sort of like steam-punk but instead of Victorian dandies it's all about post industrial revolution military.

The sketch and sculpt start. The scale is 1:52. Make note of the Cyberpunk decker fitted into a base with his new tab.

I also started on a 1:52 planetFaller. Here's a sketch showing what poses I want the basic set of riflemen to have.

Here's progress on the gnome + planetFaller, both 1:52.