The Hobby & The Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hobby & The Forum

Default The Hobby & The Forum

Now ive been on cmon for 2 years I see a lot of us (past & present) drift in & out of the hobby. Is this so with other hobbies such as Golf, stamp collecting etc... or more so with miniature painting or just painting as whole?
    I read quite a few posts about losing motivation but I wonder if this is in the hobby itself or just posting on the forums?

Myself I can not see a day when I would stop painting minis. Ive been hooked since I was 10 years old but it wasnt until I joined CMON that my painting has vastly improved, so for me the hobby & CMON (or whatever forum) are linked as one.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I am sharing the same feeling... I started painting again in 2009, and before that I was painting some military miniatures with Revel enamel paints when I was 12 years old. Since I came back to China, I started to paint again (2012) after entering the first GW store in China. I bought one mini and got hooked directly to miniature painting again! I am thinking about it quite often and try to experiment new stuffs (oil painting, better basing, basic sculpting,...). I have invested a lot, and cannot see myself stopping painting for the next years... This forum is such a good source of information with so useful advices and good people. I have never participated to any forums as this one, and feel that this community has a really good spirit!

I really think it's up to the individual, but falling in and out is certainly not unique to this hobby. It happens (with me) to all my hobbies - painting, video games, cars, guitars. I've seen it happen with friends and family too. It really depends on what you find enjoyment in. I am having more fun painting now than I ever have, but a good friend is finding it hard to even pick up a brush right now. It's a normal thing.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I have to agree with TrystanGST - I think it's generally individualized. I fall in and out of everything - hobbies, for sure, but also the car, my bike, the sofa ...

It's normal. Nobody can sustain enthusiasm for something (anything!) for a prolonged period of time. I focus on having fun during my 'in' periods, and focus on fun on other things during my 'out' periods.

Yeah we all have phases, I dropped out of model painting after I got married and got heavily into Photography.
    Kinda drifted back into it once I moved down to Lancashire and was occuping time before my evening shifts.
    Now I'm kinda itching to get back to some serious painting once the new "Keep Your Sh*t Tidy" cabinet arrives.

For those of you interested its http://www.storage4crafts.com/shopx/...cat=206&page=1 This Baby.
    I've been warned if I can't keep the room tidy than I can expect some pain in the ears.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

That's a really nice bit of kit, Dragonsreach. I'll have to see if Bunnings or Freedom have one of those in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball
    Is this so with other hobbies such as Golf, stamp collecting etc... or more so with miniature painting or just painting as whole?
    Totally.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball
    Myself I can not see a day when I would stop painting minis.
    I used to think that too

It's perfectly normal for interest to wax and wane, even peter out entirely, due to various influences in a person's life - there's partner or family taking up more of your time and attention, leaving little spare to spend on 'frivolous' pursuits, and of course work, both time spent there and associated worries/pressures. As well as those it's easy for other activities more satisfying to a more-mature version of yourself to take hold; this is extremely common, to the point that it's probably the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by gohkm
    Nobody can sustain enthusiasm for something (anything!) for a prolonged period of time.
    I know you're speaking broadly but there are obvious exceptions in any area. Just in the hobby there are plenty of peeps who have maintained enthusiasm well beyond the short term (a couple of years or so).

Einion

Yeah, I've seen slow burners and fast little firecrackers here. A lot of the regulars when I first joined are gone, but a lot are still here. There's been several people come on, be really regular for 2-3 months, then all of a sudden real life hits and "they'll be back soon". No reason to wait around for them, btw.

These forums are what "keep" me in the hobby. My output is very slow, and I can't seem to get it going faster for now. So many things to do with the kids before their bed time, and then I'm a little tired to attempt much. Weekends and days off are filled with errands and other things, but CMON is my anchor. I can run from the hobby as fast as I can, but I soon reach the end of the rope and "eeerrp" I get jerked back violently.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

I totally agree with Peg's second paragraph. My painting output has been next to nothing since my son was born a year ago, but I read the forums every day and imagine what I could be painting. When I do get that rare chance to actually put brush to mini I find it really relaxing and feel much better for it. I also go through periods where, although I haven't lost interest in painting, something else interests me more (video games are a good example) so my painting/foruming will drop off for a month or so.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Now that looks pretty cool there DR. I think that I've found something to make at work the next time I find the parts. HEHE sometimes working in a cabinet shop has it benefits. The one problem that I think I see with it is the castors, they look like they may be cheap, and not lock properly.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Whoa. I gots to get me one of those! Awesome!

I think interest probably drops in and out more for hobbies that aren't as socially acceptable, aren't more popular with the general populace, aren't as "supported" or have a "stigma" about them or if they take a huge amount of time and effort to get into. And lets face it, miniature painting and table top war gaming is all of that. Big time. Especially gaming, having to at least assemble, if not also paint so many models before you can even play. The more support and interest others show in your activities, the more you're likely to stick with it. The easier and quicker and less involved it is to do, the more you'll find you can do it.

You go outside of the "hobby world" and so many people still think we don't know how to bathe or eat an apple for a snack, instead of a bag of cheetos. It's getting better, but, sheesh, the stereotype has staying power.

Children that's it ......... especially little ones; no time to breath let alone do anything for yourself hobby wise. The trick is just to get through the first year or so with the will to paint still there and then go for it. Got to a .......ha had to stop there then no word of a lie in writing the response to feed the little parasitic bundle of joy for an hour Lol.

Yeah hobby + kids = f all done
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Children that's it ......... especially little ones; no time to breath let alone do anything for yourself hobby wise. The trick is just to get through the first year or so with the will to paint still there and then go for it. Got to a .......ha had to stop there then no word of a lie in writing the response to feed the little parasitic bundle of joy for an hour Lol.

Yeah hobby + kids = f all done
    +1. Only I don't have to feed my kids anymore (they can sort of make their own food, it's the mess afterwards I get to deal with). I have to go to parent/teacher conferences, school plays, youth sports, upkeep and maintenance on the house, taking care of the dog, trying to get my own business up and running, and working full time, there's not as much time left for hobbies as I would like. But I squeak time in wherever I can. It just means I progress at less than snail speed.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Sheesh blood howl my optimism for the future crushed lol.

I do get a bit of painting in even now but it's literally forcing myself even when knackerd to do just an hour of painting every couple of days maybe 2-3 hours a week rather than then 2-3 a day it was a few months ago. Weird thing is when I do it I'm not as knackerd as I thought and it realy makes me feel better. Also getting off to a mates house completely away from the family once every couple of months and painting all day as a treat from the missus....wow ........she does actualy have a heart rather than the blackend lump of coal i normaly associate with her .........look forward to it no end! (cheers John see you next saturday!)
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=

+2 on the babies front, although for a while my painting input did increase, as I had to for a couple of months stay upstairs in my house to monitor him going to sleep. Now he goes to sleep fine I, I just want to crash on the sofa.

Working and babies don't mix.........and on the weekends, barely got time to eat let alone paint.

I totally have the situation AndyG described - you're really tired after a day at work, then playing with the kid for an hour or so, then bathtime, story before bed, then doing all the stuff that needs to be done for tomorrow (tidying up the toys, ironing shirt, making tomorrow's lunch, etc). By the time you actually get a moment, you have to choose between getting a decent night's sleep and getting in an hour or so of painting but being knackered the next day. But, as Andy said, once you actually start painting you do feel much, much better for it. Likewise those rare occasions when you do get out with your mates become priceless gems that keep you going through the drought days.

I think that having this hobby has been really important for me maintaining my sanity here. Japan's not a bad place, far from it, but there are plenty of things that me and this country just don't see eye to eye on and likely never will (the need for weekends, and dads actually seeing their family being two examples) and at times I can feel quite isolated. But, I have a great group of painting/gaming buddies and a wonderfully understanding wife who keep me going and remind me that life ain't just about the daily grind.

So, aye - long live painting, gaming and the CMoN forums
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

You guys are really putting me off having kids lol

Sat here with my tired screaming crying son trying to get him to have his afternoon nap after sorting the bank out after paying £200 for my daughters birthday bash at monkey business with the fifteen reception kids attending and speaking to the ever spending wife who's maternity pay has gone from full to stat and still buys organic out of season blueberrys from waitrose and then doesn't eat them ffffffffff.

And that's after feeling guilty for buying an avatars of war mini for £8.50 the only money I spent on myself lol

Being a dad is the best job in the world wouldn't change it for all the tea in china

Have kids mate ages you faster than a necron chrono gun and spends your hard earned money faster than a crack habit
    Last edited by AndyG; 03-03-2013 at 09:23 AM.
    Here be my ranking=

Andy Lol I'm trying to reconcile the facts you give and the fact kids are a good thing? Me and my close gaming buddy both in our early thirties and spend at least a day a week together painting gaming and being kids . I do know there's this whole world of giving self to expand and grow but really the peace painting g gives me inside, I really struggle with ever considering it.

ot I was out of the hobby from 12 to 30 s so understand about in and out of hobbiness.

My sons 20 eats everything in the fridge within 30 seconds of it being put there! lives in his room, does nothing but online gaming oh that swhen he gets up around hmmm late afternoon and early evening. When i try to alter his behaviour his mum cracks up tells me to stop bullying the little ............ mostly after she's asked me to intervene in the first place. My daughter is 13 going on 30 and in the middle of some sulky emo goth phase and is unappreciative in the extreme with regards to the weeks skiing in italy im paying for.....Kids eh. Im telling you as soon as i win the lottery im off to an undisclosed location somewhere in the Caribbean, i may be gone some time.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive