Looking for a new airbrush

Thread: Looking for a new airbrush

Newbie, please be gentle Rvdbarnes's Avatar

Default Looking for a new airbrush

Hey guys

My first and only airbrush, a badger 100G died today, the nozzle thread sheared off within the main body-not good.
    I'm now looking for a replacement and have been trawling the Internet but its literally given me a headache!

Can any of you give any recommendations at all?

I'm after a dual action, gravity fed for around £100-£150.
    I will be mainly using it for base coating and the first highlight on miniatures such as 40k marines along with doing the majority of the work on the bigger vehicles/flyers etc

I'd suggest the harder-n-steenbeck evolution-2in1 (has 0.2 and 0.4 nozzle) as I like the HnS airbrushes.

but to be completely honest for basecoats + first light a simple cca. $10-20 noname AB is just as good.
    I got one from ebay for about 15 euro, that had 2 needles, 2 nozzles and is suprisingly accurate. (bought it to use with more abusive things, where I don't want to risk my normal AB)

Fair points, I think the only reason I wanted something of a better quality was so that I wasn't going to want to upgrade again in the near future.

something that can step up to more detailed work if I decided to go down that route

as said I really love the way HnS airbrushes are.
    Easily the same (sometimes better) than Iwatas.
    The main difference is:
    - much easier to clean
    - made in the eu, so easier/cheaper to get replacement parts(nozzle, needle) if needed.

Sounds good to me, I'll take a look at them?
    what is everyone else using at the minute?

Iawata eclipse is nice. My dad just picked one up and loves it. Otherwise stick with badger. I just got the 105 (which my dad hated and handed over) and it's nice. I think I'll pick up a few different sized nozzles once i get used to it. The size is bigger than badger old stuff but once you get used to it, it's nice. And the top cup is way better than the bottom fed cups they used to have , though they take some getting used to in terms of cleaning.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I think the best choice would a good brand that you can buy locally. Being able to get replacement parts like needles or nozzles without going online and waiting for the courier guy to drop it at your home is just golden.

If you're living in the middle of nowhere and need to buy online anyway, I would recommend one of the following (dunno how the prices look in the UK):

a) the cheapest of the three, the Iwata Neo CN 0,35mm gravity feed. I got mine as a second gun for 66€ (~55 pound) and I'm satisfied so far with the performance. Works well for priming and basecoating and I guess you can lay down first highlights with it too. The design is also very similar to the badger 100g...

b) If you want to move beyond the 100 pound mark and get a gun that can pretty much do everything, what about a badger krome? You already know the company (assuming that you liked your badger) and you get two different nozzle/needle sizes in one packet.

c) Tread yourself with a Harder & Steenbeck. Wouldn't call it a superior product compared to badger, but I personally do like how the H&S guns are designed. But I should state that I'm from Germany and getting a spare needle for a H&S a lot easier around here than in other parts of Europe (or the US). The next store that stocks them is just ~8 miles away, while not a single store in my 500K hometown stocks badgers or iwata parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rvdbarnes
    Can any of you give any recommendations at all?
    General recommendation first: search first to help prevent needless duplication of topics.

Specific recommendation since you're in the UK: Premi-Air G35. Last time I checked this was available in a few places for about £35, I expect that the price will have gone up by now but that'll give you a starting point. The G35 compared favourably to one of the cheaper Iwatas and an equivalent H&S airbrush in a couple of shoot-outs in terms of performance, and it was the cheapest of the lot.

Einion

I recommend the Iwata CR. The AK47 of airbrushes as far as my little experience goes.

A review: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...n-cr-airbrush/

After speaking to an online airbrush company today I'm now swaying towards the H&S evolution silverline 2 in 1.
    ill do a bit more digging online this evening before getting my order in later on