Starter Paint Pallete

Thread: Starter Paint Pallete

Default Starter Paint Pallete

Hi, I'm new to the hobby and looking to buy my first set of paints this weekend. I've spent the last week looking at the site and trying to absorb as much info as I can from here and the internet and might have fried my brain.

The reason I am looking to start painting miniatures is to pimp out my board games, such as Mansions of Madness, Arkham Horror, Last Night on Earth and Zombies. I'll probably start with zombies as there are lots of figures to practice with.

I found a great painting guide here, http://blog.gamesparadise.com.au/man...ainting-guide/ but a common problem I have found with guides are they are old, most refer to discontinued GW colours, and worst of all praise Devlin Mud which is no more. I wish I got into the hobby before that talent in a bottle disappeared. :-(

With my local GW being a scary place, and following advice here and from a few friends I am looking to get a set of Vallejo paints and brushes from the local indie games shop. The problem I have is trying to decide what paints to get. Reading a lot of the more advanced guides it seems like you need at least three shades of every colour, before worrying about inks, washes, shades, primers and finishes. And that's before taking into account I'm R/G colour blind and seem to have very poor colour memory.

Taking into account I'll be painting plastic, and aiming for normal humans plus zombies and Lovecraftian nightmares, what 10-20 colours would you suggest I get for my first projects?

3 shades for each color is pretty standard as you get a mid tone, a shadow, and a highlight. It's a little hard to pick out colors for someone else as the choices are usually project specific. But, I'd say you'd want something like:
    Basic Skintone, Light Flesh, and maybe Brown Rose for the shadow - that should cover most of your human skins
    A couple browns should be useful, like German C. Black Brown, Flat Brown, Light Brown (these are really just guesses... you'll want a dark, a medium, and a light brown but which ones are really up to you)
    Get a couple blues, a couple greens, and a couple reds. Again, I'd go for a light, dark, and something in the middle.
    Add in white, black, and a medium grey.
    Then, if you need metallics, a natural steel and gold would be a good place to start

As for washes, inks, shades, etc don't worry about them for now. You can make your own washes from the regular paints, just thin them down with water. Inks and finishes are probably unnecessary for what you want to do.

Finally, I want to toss out the idea of using Reaper Master Series paints instead of Vallejo. I switched over about a year ago and have been really happy with them. I also think they are great for beginners as they are organized into mid tones, shadows, and highlights. Say you want a skin set... you could get tanned shadow, tanned skin, and tanned highlight. Or rosy shadow, rosy skin, and rosy highlight. For the zombie skin they have ghoul skin, moldy skin, and bloodless skin. Each of these are your shadow, your mid tone, and your highlight. They have similar sets for blues, reds, greens, browns, etc. You can order them through CMON or direct from Reaper. If you order from Reaper shipping to the US and Canada is free as long as you spend $25 or more. They are similar to Vallejo but I like them a little better (especially their skin mixes). Just something to consider

Devlan Mud was replaced by Agrax Earthshade, its pretty much the same colour and (IMHO) is a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lordi
    The problem I have is trying to decide what paints to get. Reading a lot of the more advanced guides it seems like you need at least three shades of every colour...
    No, definitely not. This is one-size-fits-all advice but think about it, people painted just fine before this kind of convenience was available to buy; truly a more advanced guide would be recommending mixing from scratch, not looking for readymade solutions.

However if you want to make your life easier you can certainly buy in sets of colours, particularly something like the Reaper triads. And given your R/G colourblindness this may be your best bet. Mixing for yourself there are some simple ways* of bypassing issues with not being able to see the mixed colours properly (so that things look good to others and not just to your eyes!) but no shame if you have to, or want to, avoid a lot of mixing and go with convenience.

Just to mention, you can paint without any inks, washes, shades, glazes, pigments and the like if need be. With the exception of the effects some inks produce there may be no real difference in what can be achieved.

*Labelling, following formulas, getting a second person to assess mixes for you and recording the successful mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lordi
    Taking into account I'll be painting plastic, and aiming for normal humans plus zombies and Lovecraftian nightmares, what 10-20 colours would you suggest I get for my first projects?
    I take it you're set for tools to prep the minis?

In terms of primer as you might have seen in prior threads automotive primers and similar are commonly recommended, for their cheapness and toughness. Much better bet than many hobby primers and far cheaper than all of that sort of thing.

If you want a matt overcoat Dullcote is extremely good and reliable, but it needs to be airbrushed. If you're after something you can brush on there are some prior threads that'll help pick something.

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lordi View Post
    Grab Reaper Learn to Paint Kit 2: Beginning Skin and Cloth. Not only will you learn good basic paint techniques, but you will have a good starter set of paints (and a better idea of what ones to get next). Note that Reaper is revising their paint kits "soon" with their Bones miniatures. I'll also recommend the Winsor and Newton (or other high quality) brush Size 1 (or smaller) round, Brush Master's Soap, and tutorials how to care for your $15 brush. Add a DIY wet palette, and at least two rinse jars (thanks Einion!). If you don't want to spray prime, search on gesso as primer, but use clear gesso since you can color it. A black 005 Sakura micron pen is good for dotting eyes and touch-ups.

For the slimy mythos monsters, I used metallic craft paints. Paint the mini metallic black, drybrush another metallic color, boom. Monster. I have pics buried in the Creative section of the MoM entry on BoardGameGeek under "Sam and Max". For the zombies, prime (or whatever) the mini, paint grey, wash in black. Done. Everything else required a higher skill level and I wished I went through LTPK2 BEFORE I painted these. Argh.

If you luuuurve zombies, the Zombicide Season 2 KickStarter ends 3/31. $100 gets you 150+ miniatures, iirc. You'll also find tutorials on painting zombies and Zombicide zombies, especially good for learning washes (and how they can interact with primers). Amazon sells Zombicide base game at $65 on a good day. These are the first miniatures I actually *like* to paint, because, well, when you have *eight* copies of a miniature and you have to paint *SEVENTY ONE* of these things (TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY when Season 2 comes out!), it's hard to work up the idea that you're "ruining" them with your mistakes.

Finally, get some simpler miniatures to practice your painting on. I hear Mage Knight miniatures are cheap and actually not bad sculpts. I have a crapton if you live in the SF Bay Area. The "Hey That's My Fish" Eurogame will get you 16 penguins in 4 sculpts for $12, and teach you a few things. Plus girls lurrrve penguins.
    Last edited by ced1106; 03-25-2013 at 09:23 AM.